What's new

THE BOWERY BOYS on DVD: continuing discussion of Warner's eventual release plans (NEW UPDATE 10/2 Po (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Hello, DeWilson!

Here is the list of as yet, unreleased Bowery Boys Titles, as previously posted by JeffT. Note that both MR. HEX and it's remake HOLD THAT HYPNOTIST will be on Volume 4, as well as the final Bowery Boys entry, IN THE MONEY.
JeffT. said:
Well, this means that the final 12 films will be MR. HEX (1946), TROUBLE MAKERS (1948), TRIPLE TROUBLE (1950), BOWERY BATTALION (1951), HERE COMES THE MARINES (1952), JUNGLE GENTS (1954), BOWERY TO BAGDAD (1954), SPY CHASERS (1955), JAIL BUSTERS (1955), FIGHTING TROUBLE (1956), HOLD THAT HYPNOTIST (1957) and IN THE MONEY (1958).
CHEERS!

Tony

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
This is great news . I hope this will also be pressed discs like the first two sets. Does anyone know?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Tony Bensley said:
Hello, DeWilson!Here is the list of as yet, unreleased Bowery Boys Titles, as previously posted by JeffT. Note that both MR. HEX and it's remake HOLD THAT HYPNOTIST will be on Volume 4, as well as the final Bowery Boys entry, IN THE MONEY.CHEERS!Tony
Ok Tony, we got the Laurel and Hardy sound flicks and soon all the Bowery Boys. What your suggestion we work on next? The L&H silents or the East Side Kids and Little Tough Guys? I'm pushing Warner's for the Dr. Kildare films. Then that will probably do me. Lol

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
ahollis said:
Ok Tony, we got the Laurel and Hardy sound flicks and soon all the Bowery Boys. What your suggestion we work on next? The L&H silents or the East Side Kids and Little Tough Guys? I'm pushing Warner's for the Dr. Kildare films. Then that will probably do me. Lol
Hi ahollis!

While the Laurel & Hardy silents would be ideal, I'm afraid it's likely a no go for North America in the foreseeable future as Richard Feiner's terms for any such issue of them are so unreasonable they'll never see another issue in Region 1 so long as he holds the licensing rights for the Americas!

Next on my list would be the Charley Chase and the Zasu Pitts/Thelma Todd/Patsy Kelly Hal Roach Sound Shorts. Each of the other series that you mention are in my opinion, also quite worthy of DVD/BluRay issue. Of course, I could list many more!

CHEERS!

Tony

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Tony Bensley said:
Hi ahollis!While the Laurel & Hardy silents would be ideal, I'm afraid it's likely a no go for North America in the foreseeable future as Richard Feiner's terms for any such issue of them are so unreasonable they'll never see another issue in Region 1 so long as he holds the licensing rights for the Americas!Next on my list would be the Charley Chase and the Zasu Pitts/Thelma Todd/Patsy Kelly Hal Roach Sound Shorts. Each of the other series that you mention are in my opinion, also quite worthy of DVD/BluRay issue. Of course, I could list many more!CHEERS!Tony
Agree with all thoughts.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Virtually anything new Hal Roach-wise would be would be welcome, but unfortunately there seems to be no movement on either fronts. Hopefully that changes in the near future.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
JoHud said:
Virtually anything new Hal Roach-wise would be would be welcome, but unfortunately there seems to be no movement on either fronts. Hopefully that changes in the near future.
I completely agree with you on all counts, Jo! On a brighter note, the remaining 12 Charley Chase Columbia Shorts are now available for pre--order through ClassicFlix, currently priced at $17.99. Below, is a direct link:
http://www.classicflix.com/charley-chase-shorts-columbia-classics-p-14320.html

CHEERS!

Tony

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'm thrilled that we have a third volume of The Bowery Boys. I usually order mine as soon as I hear the news, but I may have to wait a few days this time. I hope there will still be 'pressed' copies left...

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Joe Karlosi said:
I'm thrilled that we have a third volume of The Bowery Boys. I usually order mine as soon as I hear the news, but I may have to wait a few days this time. I hope there will still be 'pressed' copies left...
Hi Joe!

I had to wait over a month to order my first set through Movies Unlimited and I still got Pressed DVDs. Also, I recall reading some posts regarding people that were still able to get Volume One Pressed Discs several months after it was first issued, so I wouldn't worry about having to wait a few days to order. Just don't make my mistake in ordering from Amazon as they only have the DVD-R's, which I discovered the hard way with the Volume Two Set!

CHEERS!

Tony

njslipnut

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Do any film prints exist for the following East Side Kids movies:

Mr. Muggs Steps Out, Follow the Leader, Block Busters, Bowery Champs,
Docks of New York, Mr. Muggs Rides Again, Come Out Fighting

I never see these films available anywhere. Are they lost forever?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
njslipnut said:
Do any film prints exist for the following East Side Kids movies:

Mr. Muggs Steps Out, Follow the Leader, Block Busters, Bowery Champs,
Docks of New York, Mr. Muggs Rides Again, Come Out Fighting

I never see these films available anywhere. Are they lost forever?
While I haven't been able to find any of these East Side Kids titles on Amazon, renowned Film Critic Leonard Maltin has reviewed each of these titles, so I think it's reasonable to assume that they all exist in some form. Unfortunately, none of the above titles are listed as being available on video within his Second Edition Classic Movie Guide from 2010!

CHEERS!

Tony

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Regarding those East Side Kids movies, I think it's more a case of some of them being copyrighted and MGM just not giving a hoot about 95% of its Monogram holdings.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
mdnitoil said:
Just got a shipping notice from Warner Archive. Should easily be here by Tuesday.
I wish that I could say the same! Non U.S. Residents have to wait an extra week as Movies Unlimited won't be shipping THE BOWERY BOYS VOLUME THREE until October 11. It's too bad the Warner Archive doesn't ship to Canada, but at least I got a good deal with my pre-order!

CHEERS!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
On the subject of Stanley Clements , I'm kind of looking forward to seeing his films with an open mind. Still , I've always missed Leo Gorcey in those films - those are big shoes to fill! I'll bet I'd enjoy the SC films a lot more if I'd never seen the Gorcey films.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
LouA said:
On the subject of Stanley Clements , I'm kind of looking forward to seeing his films with an open mind. Still , I've always missed Leo Gorcey in those films - those are big shoes to fill! I'll bet I'd enjoy the SC films a lot more if I'd never seen the Gorcey films.
It's just a thought, but we're not so far from the time of year that a Stanley Clements led Bowery Boys marathon could be suitably capped (Before or after!) with a viewing of Stanley's most famous appearance (Appropriately as a Gang Leader!) in GOING MY WAY, which in my opinion is a fine Christmas Film!

CHEERS!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tony Bensley said:
I wish that I could say the same! Non U.S. Residents have to wait an extra week as Movies Unlimited won't be shipping THE BOWERY BOYS VOLUME THREE until October 11. It's too bad the Warner Archive doesn't ship to Canada, but at least I got a good deal with my pre-order!

CHEERS!
Despite my Bowery Boys order not being scheduled to ship until Friday (Or so I assumed! At Movies Unlimited, the listed available date is 10/11/13.), my CC has already been charged, so I'm thinking my order may have already shipped in order to arrive somewhere around the October 11 date. I can hope, anyway!

CHEERS!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I noticed on Movies Unlimited that THE BOWERY BOYS VOLUME THREE is no longer listed as a Pre-Order, and that the 10/11/13 availability date is no longer listed with the title. This tells me MU has been given the green light to ship them! Now, if only they could track international orders--SIGH!!

CHEERS!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks