What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Best-Placed Intermission Cards Of All-Time (On Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My first choice: 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY. I just find that the moment Kubrick (or the studio) chose to pause his film is simply brilliant. Most people would probably pay a second admission fee just to find out what happens next...

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Agree with both of those choices.

One of my favorites is “Tora Tora Tora” - we’re in the office of the Secretary who can’t decide to call the President after getting assurances an attack is imminent, Goldsmith’s score slowly builds, the camera pans over to his desk calendar showing “December 7, 1941”, music up, fade-out.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World has probably the best leads into an intermission. A montage of all the characters getting into one hilarious predicament after another. It's the perfect way to tell the audience that if they thought the first half of the film was crazy, just wait until you see the second half.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Cleopatra (1963) has the perfect intermission as one story (the Caesar one) is over. After the intermission and entr'acte, there's a new story (the Antony one). Reputedly, Mankiewicz would have preferred two movies, Caesar And Cleopatra and Antony And Cleopatra but Fox would have none of that and insisted on one film.

My Fair Lady (1964) has the intermission just after the "new" Eliza is revealed to us and off to the grand ball. It leaves us with an anticipation of what will happen at the ball which will come in the second half.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
EL CID, where the Intermission makes perfect sense, with Part 2 showing that a considerable number of years have past since the end of Part 1. Deleting the Intermission for TV showings with just a jump cut makes a nonsense of that section of the film.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Both El Cid and Cleopatra indeed have great intermission points and with Cleopatra I would have appreciated this to be split into two movies as then I would not feel so guity when I lose interest in the second half. As it is now watching Cleopatra feels a bit as if I had to watch 2001 and 2010 as one film with me rapidly losing interest after the first part.

alistairKerr

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alistair
I don't know if "The Towering Inferno" blu ray has the intermission - but when I saw it in the cinema on it's first release - the tension was so high just before the break that when it came the entire audience gasped in relief - it was an amazing collective experience!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks