What's new

The Best and Worst Trailers You've Ever Seen (1 Viewer)

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
If you love trailers and if you've seen a lot of them, then please post.

Post yoiur thoughts on the trailers you love or despise and tell why (and make sure they are in seperate lists).

Her are my picks:

BEST:

JOE VERSUS THE VOLCANO - What an interesting trailer. It sells its point and makes it clear that this isn't just an ordinary movie...even if it is a fairy tale of some sort.

DR.STRANGELOVE - A trailer that paved the way for trailers of the future still makes me wonder what the hell I am watching. One of the best trailers ever made.

MONTY PYTHON & THE HOLY GRAIL - Any trailer that doesn't have a final voice-over and then settles on one that speaks Japenese is something that gets me every time. A very funny trailer that has a great ending.

There are more, but I can't remember them

WORST:

MIXED NUTS - I love this movie, but the 2 1/2 minute trailer is one of the worst that I have ever seen. Any black comedy trailer that has a tagline like "from the director of "Sleepless In Seattle" should have the person who came up with that should have their head examined.

TRON - Once again, a movie that I love that has a horrible trailer. Although this movie eventually had a cult following, the trailer should be shown as one of the reasons why this film failed at the box office. A dreadful dissapointment.

TOYS - Okay, any trailer that has Robin Williams in a cornfield should have at least one person running for the exit. It is worth nothing more than to watch and laugh at it in its badness. I'm not talking about the final trailer that had scenes from this movie, but the Robin Williams trailer that has zippo scenes from the film.

If I can think of more good or bad trailers, I'll post more, but please post some of your own. Maybe you'll outsmart me. You'll be surprised, probably.

But for now, post the trailers you love or hate.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
In my opinion, Magnolia has the best trailer I've ever seen.
I love the introduction of the characters.
Also, by using Aimee Man's "Momentum" for the first half of the trailer, and then Jon Brion's moving score for the second half - it really captures the range of emotions that this film brings out.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Star Wars

I've loved that movie all my life, and the trailer made me NOT want to watch it

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I though the trailer for Vanilla Sky was just amazing. I got goosebumps every time the trailer played in the theater and I didn't even know what the movie was about!

Blow also had a very cool trailer.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The Best: GODZILLA (1998), great trailer for an awful movie.

THE WORST: Any of the thousands featuring voice-overs by Don LaFontaine.

David Ruiz

Second Unit
One of the very worst trailers I have ever seen, has to be the Original Theatrical trailer of the "Goonies" found on the DVD. I love the movie, but watching the trailer makes the movie look terrible, and un-interesting.

It actually makes me NOT want to see it. It's a good thing, I had never seen the trailer, before I saw the movie.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
From a "ruin the movie" perspective, I would have to say that Serendipity and What Lies Beneath are the absolute worst.
From a not ruin the movie perspective, I'd have to say that Fight Club gives you only a taste and doesn't really clue you into what the movie is about.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
How could we forget the incredible teaser trailer for Independence Day that ran during the Superbowl?

Drew Mertz

Stunt Coordinator
The Best Trailer I would say is for the movie CUBE

Worst has to be that will smith golf movie

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
Worst has to be that will smith golf movie
you mean "legend of baggar vance"

best psycho, jaws

worst cast away, i know what you did last summer (i can not stand that song they play durring it. it got annoying after hearing many times after.) but i enjoyed the movie

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Best:

Citizen Kane

The Maltese Falcon

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Long 1938 trailer, not the shorter "fragment" trailer)

Worst:

Cast Away (full trailer)

Any Don LaFontaine trailer (I HATE HEARING THE SAME VOICE IN EVERY TRAILER THAT SOUNDS LIKE A HOARSE ANNE BANCROFT FROM THE GRADUATE!)

David Dennison

Second Unit
I think I posted this somewhere else recently, but I think The Lion King has the best trailer ever. I can't think of a worst off the top of my head.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
Trailers I love: The Phantom Menace trailers A and B, Attack of the Clones "Forbidden Love" and "Clone War" trailers, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring full trailer, Psycho trailer with Hitch, Signs trailer B.

Trailers I hate: The Sweetest Thing, Stuart Little 2, Cast Away full trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks