What's new

Disney+ The Beatles: Get Back exclusively on Disney+ (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

randyoh

Auditioning
Real Name
Randy Michael
I don’t think the original Let It Be film will ever see the light of day in a remastered form. It showed strained relationships between band members at times. It will just continue to be DVDs from the original VHS release by Magnetic Video.

I think Get Back will show us mostly the sunshine and lollipops version of what the 2 surviving members and the heirs of the 2 deceased want us to see.

I hope to be proven wrong.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don’t think the original Let It Be film will ever see the light of day in a remastered form. It showed strained relationships between band members at times. It will just continue to be DVDs from the original VHS release by Magnetic Video.

I think Get Back will show us mostly the sunshine and lollipops version of what the 2 surviving members and the heirs of the 2 deceased want us to see.

I hope to be proven wrong.
Obviously, plans can obviously change but when this was first announced, they said that Let It Be would getting a home video release alongside Get Back. I think the apparent happier take of Get Back could make everyone legally involved more inclined to allow Let It Be to get released again since a new side of the story will now be available to the world.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Obviously, plans can obviously change but when this was first announced, they said that Let It Be would getting a home video release alongside Get Back. I think the apparent happier take of Get Back could make everyone legally involved more inclined to allow Let It Be to get released again since a new side of the story will now be available to the world.
True and they also said it will still contain some of the strained relationships but will also show the whole story of what happened during this session: Happy times, sad times, hard work and just making music instead of capitalizing on and dwelling only on the negative moments.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It showed strained relationships between band members at times. It will just continue to be DVDs from the original VHS release by Magnetic Video.

I have a Blu of Let It Be I bought a while back, It is not the original version of the film. The original version is all there BUT someone recut the picture inserting randomly all kinds of clips of each Beatle generally making negative comments about their fellow Beatles. Sometimes there are two or more Beatles talking about another Beatle. These clips are audio only mostly which they insert with random video (usually in horrid shape) that the audio plays under. I think there are some clips from the Let It Be film that obviously did not make it into the final film but there is no audio so they give you audio of just Beatles talking under it. The end result is a fairly sad film because they are obviously not getting along with each other at this stage. I think George and Ringo are certainly at the end of their ropes with Paul and John. There are comments made about how John brings Yoko with him everywhere and sort of about how Paul is nearly treating the other three Beatles as his back-up band at that point.

Cutting that stuff into the film makes it a real slog to get through (I've watched it once) plus the video I am certain is from the laser disc with whatever stuff someone found from multiple sources. It's not that I want to see just a happy version of The Beatles but not sure hearing how they all felt about one another adds anything great. They still were making cool music together despite their differences and how tired they seemed of each other's company.

I honestly believe if John had not been murdered they all would have eventually recorded and played together again. I don't think they hated each other they just had spent way too much time together at that point and needed a break.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
True and they also said it will still contain some of the strained relationships but will also show the whole story of what happened during this session: Happy times, sad times, hard work and just making music instead of capitalizing on and dwelling only on the negative moments.
Agreed. It might not be fair of me to say this but I think that Let It Be was put together in a way to highlight the tabloid-y/gossip-y elements of the recording of the album and it ended up becoming the absolute document of that time.

randyoh

Auditioning
Real Name
Randy Michael
I have a Blu of Let It Be I bought a while back, It is not the original version of the film. The original version is all there BUT someone recut the picture inserting randomly all kinds of clips of each Beatle generally making negative comments about their fellow Beatles. Sometimes there are two or more Beatles talking about another Beatle. These clips are audio only mostly which they insert with random video (usually in horrid shape) that the audio plays under. I think there are some clips from the Let It Be film that obviously did not make it into the final film but there is no audio so they give you audio of just Beatles talking under it. The end result is a fairly sad film because they are obviously not getting along with each other at this stage. I think George and Ringo are certainly at the end of their ropes with Paul and John. There are comments made about how John brings Yoko with him everywhere and sort of about how Paul is nearly treating the other three Beatles as his back-up band at that point.

Cutting that stuff into the film makes it a real slog to get through (I've watched it once) plus the video I am certain is from the laser disc with whatever stuff someone found from multiple sources. It's not that I want to see just a happy version of The Beatles but not sure hearing how they all felt about one another adds anything great. They still were making cool music together despite their differences and how tired they seemed of each other's company.

I honestly believe if John had not been murdered they all would have eventually recorded and played together again. I don't think they hated each other they just had spent way too much time together at that point and needed a break.
The audio only portion were probably parts of radio interviews. Some of them really were nasty.

I think it was during the time the film was shot that it was actually Ringo that was the first to quit. George talked him into coming back. The bad blood was the reason the album was shelved (even George Martin was fed up and that is why they came back and did The Beatles (White Album) after they agreed to a clean slate.

We have to look take Lennon/McCartney feud for what it was. It gave us the songs ‘How Do You Sleep?’ and ‘Silly Love Songs’.

I have read that Lennon and McCartney had mended their fences and were together in John’s apartment and when Lorne Michaels made his offer of $3000 to The Beatles to reunite on SNL. McCartney said they almost went but decided against it.

I don’t think Harrison and McCartney actually made up until right before Harrison died. Ringo has said that the Beatles Anthology sessions were at times contentious.

Of course all of this is speculation on my part, just things I have read and heard from interviews over the years. Sorry to babble on for so long.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The audio only portion were probably parts of radio interviews. Some of them really were nasty.

I think it was during the time the film was shot that it was actually Ringo that was the first to quit. George talked him into coming back. The bad blood was the reason the album was shelved (even George Martin was fed up and that is why they came back and did The Beatles (White Album) after they agreed to a clean slate.

We have to look take Lennon/McCartney feud for what it was. It gave us the songs ‘How Do You Sleep?’ and ‘Silly Love Songs’.

I have read that Lennon and McCartney had mended their fences and were together in John’s apartment and when Lorne Michaels made his offer of $3000 to The Beatles to reunite on SNL. McCartney said they almost went but decided against it.

I don’t think Harrison and McCartney actually made up until right before Harrison died. Ringo has said that the Beatles Anthology sessions were at times contentious.

Of course all of this is speculation on my part, just things I have read and heard from interviews over the years. Sorry to babble on for so long.

That Lorne Michaels offer was great and very funny. I don't think they would have reunited until probably the late 1980s or early 1990s mainly because each of them were involved with finding their own footing with other enterprises. I think it would have happened though for a number of reasons, one huge one being the ridiculous amount of cash that would have been on the table.

Now, had they reunited would it have been as good as their heyday? That we will never know. Generally so much had changed at that point with music and technology and the recording process that it may not have been the same. Hard to say. I think because they were mostly a studio band they would have recorded new music and then probably toured because the amount of cash for that to happen would have been ridiculous.

You can bury a lot of hatchets under dump trucks full of cash. That early 1990s period probably would have been the sweet spot had John been alive. We were robbed of that opportunity though and will never know.

I think John would have probably been more of a stabilizing force because with his death Paul really asserted himself as the owner of all the songs which I am sure led to a lot of tension with George and Ringo. However, it is not something we will ever know sadly.

In some ways all things Beatle were perfectly preserved because John was killed and we only have their prime period to examine. So, we don't have to compare the reunited Beatles to 1960s Beatles.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The White album was done during the summer of 1968. The Let It Be sessions were after that December 68-January 69. George left for a few months and then they got back together for 1 final album recorded in the summer of 1969 which was Abbey Road. John quit in October and the remaining Beatles decided to finish Let it Be in January 1970 which was released in April 1970 the month before they announced the breakup of the band.
But Ringo did leave before they recorded the White Album if that's what you meant but it wasn't because of Let it Be it was according to him because he was going through a period where he felt he was no longer needed in the band.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Let It Be was released before the announcement of their parting ways? I thought the album was released after the announcement.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
OT but related, but the new McCartney 3, 2, 1 show is really enjoyable. Paul and Rick Rubin just talking music for 3h, broken up over six 30 minute episodes.

Jeff F.

Second Unit
Free As A Bird is a great example of what a reunited Beatle record could be like.
I liked that song, too, but it didn't feel like it was a real Beatles song. Jeff Lynne from ELO produced it, and it sounded a lot like a Lynne/ELO song with bland drumming and guitar work. Don't get me wrong. I like Jeff Lynne and ELO's music, but just not in a Beatles tune.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I liked that song, too, but I didn't feel like it was a real Beatles song. Jeff Lynne from ELO produced it, and it sounded a lot like a Lynne/ELO sounding song with bland drumming and guitar work.

I agree. Really did not sound like The Beatles.

Come to think of it, REAL LOVE didn't really sound like The Beatles either.

However, who knows what their sound would have been if they actually all alive and together making music in the 90s.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for posting the article Travis. It is a good read and I’m hoping I can see Jackson’s version of the film.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks