What's new

Disney+ The Beatles: Get Back exclusively on Disney+ (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
thebeatles.com

"The Beatles: Get Back"
A Disney+ Original Documentary Series Directed By Peter Jackson, To Debut Exclusively On Disney+​

The Beatles: Get Back

Over Six Hours of Never-Before-Seen Restored Footage, Including The Beatles’ Last Live Performance, to Roll Out on Disney+ Over Three Days, November 25, 26 and 27, 2021​

The Walt Disney Studios, Apple Corps Ltd. and WingNut Films Productions Ltd. announced today that Disney+ will bring “The Beatles: Get Back,” a Disney+ Original documentary series directed by Peter Jackson, to fans and music lovers worldwide.

Because of the wealth of tremendous footage Peter Jackson has reviewed, which he has spent the past three years restoring and editing, “The Beatles: Get Back” will be presented as three separate episodes. Each episode is approximately two hours in length, rolling out over three days, November 25, 26 and 27, 2021, exclusively on Disney+.

“As a huge Beatles fan myself, I am absolutely thrilled that Disney+ will be the home for this extraordinary documentary series by the legendary filmmaker Peter Jackson,” said Bob Iger, Executive Chairman and Chairman of the Board, The Walt Disney Company. “This phenomenal collection of never-before-seen footage offers an unprecedented look at the close camaraderie, genius songwriting, and indelible impact of one of the most iconic and culturally influential bands of all time, and we can’t wait to share ‘The Beatles: Get Back’ with fans around the world.”

Peter Jackson commented, “In many respects, Michael Lindsay-Hogg’s remarkable footage captured multiple storylines. The story of friends and of individuals. It is the story of human frailties and of a divine partnership. It is a detailed account of the creative process, with the crafting of iconic songs under pressure, set amid the social climate of early 1969. But it’s not nostalgia - it’s raw, honest, and human. Over six hours, you’ll get to know The Beatles with an intimacy that you never thought possible.”

He added, “I’m very grateful to The Beatles, Apple Corps and Disney for allowing me to present this story in exactly the way it should be told. I’ve been immersed in this project for nearly three years, and I’m very excited that audiences around the world will finally be able to see it.”

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is great news! Thought it would go to theaters first and there would be a wait. The only downside to this news is that there may not be a disc release anytime soon, but that's just speculation.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
So I guess there's either an abridged version for theatrical release or, far more likely, it's not getting a theatrical release now?

And pure speculation but if they were planning on including this in the Let It Be 50th (51st) anniversary set, I assume this release means the box is delayed until 2022.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So I guess there's either an abridged version for theatrical release or, far more likely, it's not getting a theatrical release now?

And pure speculation but if they were planning on including this in the Let It Be 50th (51st) anniversary set, I assume this release means the box is delayed until 2022.

Travis, this is all speculation but your fears are mine. With this going exclusively to streaming Disney will not want to release this to disc anytime soon if they can capitalize on its exclusivity.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So i guess nothing is being released in August as reported earlier.

I am not certain anymore what was promised. I thought it would go theatrical first and then to disc. However with it now skipping theatrical and going to Disney+ that could affect a disc release, or, perhaps it's still on schedule for disc.

Anything can happen. I wasn't expecting this announcement.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I Just Hope a 4K UHD or Bluray gets released with the Full 6 Hours ! :D I can't Wait. PQ will be Amazing !
LetItBe.jpg
BEATLES ROOF.jpg

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was discussing this with a friend. One thing I have to question, and I don’t know the facts, but doesn’t The Beatles and Apple Records and Apple Corps LTD have some rights ownership here? Does Disney just have distribution rights? Or did Disney help fund the Jackson Get Back Project?

What I’m getting at here is the 3 part documentary, which I like the idea of, going to be exclusive to Disney? Did Disney fund the documentary? I see it as a cash grab to get fans to subscribe. I do not have a Disney+ subscription nor do I plan to.

Is this like The Mandalorian? I suspected that because Disney funded it and owns the Star Wars franchise now, they can do whatever they want. They can make it streaming only. But with the Star Wars films being legacy, did Fox or Lucasfilm have contracts in place already that got the 9 films released on home video as Blu Rays and 4K.

So do McCartney, Ringo, Yoko and Olivia have any say here. Maybe they don’t care as they get their cut, but can they have input as to how the films are distributed? I want to see Let It Be and Jackson’s Get Back released on blu ray and 4K disc.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
This is great news although I did plan to see this in the theaters. It sounds like maybe the decision to make this 6 hours changed the theatrical release unless there will be a cut down version for that. But I'm happy for the 6 hour version. When they announced that there were 30 plus hours of footage found it sounded like a bit of a letdown to just get a 2 hour movie out of that.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I was discussing this with a friend. One thing I have to question, and I don’t know the facts, but doesn’t The Beatles and Apple Records and Apple Corps LTD have some rights ownership here? Does Disney just have distribution rights? Or did Disney help fund the Jackson Get Back Project?

What I’m getting at here is the 3 part documentary, which I like the idea of, going to be exclusive to Disney? Did Disney fund the documentary? I see it as a cash grab to get fans to subscribe. I do not have a Disney+ subscription nor do I plan to.

Is this like The Mandalorian? I suspected that because Disney funded it and owns the Star Wars franchise now, they can do whatever they want. They can make it streaming only. But with the Star Wars films being legacy, did Fox or Lucasfilm have contracts in place already that got the 9 films released on home video as Blu Rays and 4K.

So do McCartney, Ringo, Yoko and Olivia have any say here. Maybe they don’t care as they get their cut, but can they have input as to how the films are distributed? I want to see Let It Be and Jackson’s Get Back released on blu ray and 4K disc.
Disney has distribution rights to Get Back but I think any other answers to your questions would be guesses. My guesses are that ownership of everything still lies with The Beatles/their families but Disney has some window of exclusivity for the documentary (since they spent money to distribute it, I can't blame them for that) and once that window ends, I think Get Back and Let It Be will be released on disc and for download.

My main question is will this delay the CD and vinyl box sets of Let It Be? At this point, I'd rather they just finally release the Let It Be box set out and then get the documentaries out whenever Disney's window ends.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Travis, That’s a reasonable guess about Disney having an exclusive window for distribution. We’ve waited this long. Hopefully there’s news about any of the releases, CD box sets and blu ray box sets.

it just seems odd being so close now, and another delay. Odd that Let It Be seems to be doomed from release.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I Hope, and think that the BEATLES Let It Be Box set, CD & Vinyl with a Get Back Bluray & 4K release will be coming by Christmas. Also Hope the Original Let it be 1970 80 min. movie gets released. The Christmas Gift we BEATLES Fans have been waiting for for a LONG time !
1970 Let It Be (United Artists - Subway).jpg

Last edited:

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
A six hour presentation instead of a two hour one, included in a monthly subscription that’s far less than the cost of even a single movie ticket? Count me in.
Not that I totally disagree, but I think I speak for many when I say I don't have nor want Disney+.. I've enough subscriptions & services as it is, and besides I think such a film should be available to everyone, not just paying members of a certain streaming service. At least, there should be both an extended streaming version AND a 2-hour version for theaters, preferably released simultaneously. As for ticket prices, most cineplexes & many indie theaters have weekly discount nights (usually under $7 per adult). I wanna see The Beatles on the BIG screen!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Not that I totally disagree, but I think I speak for many when I say I don't have nor want Disney+.. I've enough subscriptions & services as it is, and besides I think such a film should be available to everyone, not just paying members of a certain streaming service. At least, there should be both an extended streaming version AND a 2-hour version for theaters, preferably released simultaneously. As for ticket prices, most cineplexes & many indie theaters have weekly discount nights (usually under $7 per adult). I wanna see The Beatles on the BIG screen!
You can subscribe just for a single month for about what a single theater ticket would cost. There are no long term contracts with these streaming services, although you do usually get a discount if you pay for a year or more in advance. But you can just subscribe for a month if something like this series pops up that you are interested in.

Mike Tiano

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Tiano
Yeah you speak for me. This was posted a few days ago--come November it's possible that a free trial might be available then If not then $8 isn't so bad--either way, watch it, then cancel it before the free trial period ends. It may also be bundled with a service one might already have as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks