What's new

The average movie patron does not know what??....... (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
...the value of MONEY! It amazes me how many people actually buy the overpriced food at theater snack bars!

AJ Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
AJ
That sometimes the surround sound is not turned on in the theater and it's up to me to go tell the manager 10 minutes into the movie that the sound is mono :angry:
Then when the surround sound suddenly pops on everyone looks around like they're stupid and I get a chuckle out of it.

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit
... that the showtime listed in the paper is WHEN THE SHOW STARTS!!! Not a recomended time to show up. Espcially on weekends...:thumbsdown:

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Most don't even know what digital is.
Sure they do. Digital = "better" or "new and improved" in the eyes of most people.
Anyone who ever worked retail in the days when CDs used to publish the AAD/ADD/DDD designations knows that.
However, back on topic:
The average movie patron does not know that many of the slick but hollow movies they flock to see on opening weekend are, in fact, remakes of terrific movies that they've never heard of, nor would they care if they did. The Time Machine, Gone in 60 Seconds and the upcoming Mr. Deeds are recent examples.

Ernesto Santos

Stunt Coordinator
...that just because you are totally desensitized and oblivious to your four year olds bad behavior does not mean it doesn't annoy the sh*t out of the rest of us.

...to date there is only one sequel that really matters, The Godfather Part II.

...you should respect the director's decision not to fill your 4:3 TV screen.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
The average movie patron does not know:

-When a picture is misframed, unless you see a frameline. Misframed pictures piss me off, yet no one else seems to notice constant flash marks at the top or the bottom of a screen on a scope movie!
-When a movie is out of focus, unless it is completely out of focus.
-What "flat," or "scope," or "matted" means.
-How much work it is for that image to hit the viewer's eyes, from projection, to automation, to management. Hell, I know for a fact some people think it's "Just a big video!"
-Constantly getting up to go to the bathroom irritates other people in the theater.
-The bottle of Dasani they just bought was $4.50 and could have been had for $2 next door at the 7-11
-Children using booster seats in a stadium seating theater DOESN'T DO ANYTHING!
-Kicking and applying pressure to the seat infront of you actually irritates person sitting in that seat
-Taking your socks off and lounging your feet on the chair infront of you causes smell to the nearby viewer.

Jason

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
The bottle of Dasani they just bought was $4.50 and could have been had for $2 next door at the 7-11.
I guess you can call me an idiot in regards to this particular situation :D, but I always get something from the concession stand (large drink). I guess just knowing the fact that this is the way for the "theater" to make money (since we know that theaters only take in a VERY small percentage of ticket sales).
I really enjoy the theater that I visit on a weekly basis (if not more) and the employees that work there that I am willing to do my part and help keep them in business.

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
That movies convey their meaning in a variety of different ways (images, editing, etc.), not just through words, and that in the best movies those non-verbal methods are more important than the verbal one.

A film is a well directed, thought provoking and/or suspenseful piece of art, with impressive cinematography and actors(not to be confused with people on-screen reciting dialogue).

A movie is 90-120 minutes of Hollywood underestimating my intelligence.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
...that movies in a language other than English are better viewed in that other language with subtitles.
... that the showtime listed in the paper is WHEN THE SHOW STARTS!!! Not a recomended time to show up. Espcially on weekends...
...you're lucky, Jeff. In our case, the showtime listed in the paper is when the television commercials start (for crying out loud! :frowning: ).

LisaH

Stunt Coordinator
That saying "What did he just say?" just once causes you to miss the next line and begins a continual stream of questions which drives me absolutely nuts, because if you shut up, and stop chewing, you'd hear the movie and I would be a calm, relaxed person who has no intention of tripping you when you pass me on the way to the bathroom.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
A film is a well directed, thought provoking and/or suspenseful piece of art, with impressive cinematography and actors(not to be confused with people on-screen reciting dialogue).
A movie is 90-120 minutes of Hollywood underestimating my intelligence.
Hmm, by that definition, I've seen a lot of films I hated. On the other hand, I've seen a lot of movies I've loved. So I don't think you can shoehorn movies or films into that limited definition. They are all films, and they are all movies. What you're really saying is the high brow, arthouse flicks are films, and the summer flicks are movies. In that case, I'll take Indiana Jones, Star Wars, ET, Jurassic Park over Howard's End anyday.:D
The average movie patron does not know that a film isn't supposed to be square.

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit
...that The Lord Of The Rings is a trilogy...

....that Star Wars Episode III has NOT been shot. (I've heard that one before....)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks