What's new

The Abbott & Costello Complete Universal Pictures Sets: Could A Blu-Ray Version Be Next? (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
In viewing HOLD THAT GHOST (1941), and listening to Film Historian Jeff Miller's commentary, what surprised me was at right around the 49 minute mark, Jeff notes that the only Abbott & Costello Film never released to Home Video on either VHS or DVD was IT AIN'T HAY (1943), mentioning that in a conversation with Lou's daughter Patty, she thought it had to do with disputed rights for some of its music.

However, what struck me as a bit odd is that it was my assumption all of the commentary tracks (Apart from ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948), which had been released as a standalone DVD back in 2000, under Universal's Comedy Legends banner!) were prepared for the 2008 revised DVD set, which does include IT AIN'T HAY! Obviously, at the time of the aforementioned commentary track recording for HOLD THAT GHOST, the info about the Damon Runyon screenplay was still technically correct, and it most probably wasn't yet certain whether it could clear its rights issue hurdles (Pun intended!) in time!

Perhaps, this also explains why no commentary track was prepared for IT AIN'T HAY? Given its long history of not being able to be officially released to Home Video, I for one think it's too bad some special commentary including what had previously prevented its issuing, and how that was finally overcome, couldn't have been made! Heck, I would have even loved to have seen a short Featurette detailing this!

Don't get me wrong, I'm really glad that IT AIN'T HAY was able to be included in the revised DVD sets! It's just that a little extra icing is always nice!

CHEERS! :)

EDIT: Later, in the same HOLD THAT GHOST commentary, Film Historian Jeff Miller references the 2004 Feature, SHAUN OF THE DEAD, noting its having been from a few years earlier, which confirms the track's not having been prepared for a prior to 2008 DVD re-release on the ABBOTT & COSTELLO: THE COMPLETE UNIVERSAL PICTURES COLLECTION set!

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Up until just a few minutes ago, I had assumed that the 2014 reissued DVD set was strictly a repackaging.

However, when doing some comparison screen captures for ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948) from this, and Volume 3 of the 2004 Franchise Collection, I discovered the VOB files for Disc 9 to be dated 2014-03-27. This opens the door to the possibility that some minor tweaking could have been done after the 2008 release. Upon checking all of the other DVDs from my 2014 set, Disc 9 is the only one with files dated post August, 2008. Thus, "Meet Frankenstein" and (in theory!), THE WISTFUL WIDOW OF WAGON GAP (1947) are the only two titles in the 2014 reissue that may have further post 2008 restoration!

One other aspect of the VOB files that struck me a bit odd, is that while nearly all of them for Disc 9 of the 2014 DVD set are at the maximum 9800 kbps, the first VOB for "Meet Frankenstein" is at a mere 8000 kbps, although all of the other VOBs for that title are at the maximum 9800 kbps. At 7.11 GB for that particular dual layer DVD, there was definitely sufficient space left over that bitrate needn't have been compromised, either!

I also noticed on Disc 2 of the 2014 DVD set, which includes IN THE NAVY and HOLD THAT GHOST (1941), 192 kbps was allotted for audio on one of them, while the other was set at 224 kbps.

The above inconsistencies strike me as a bit odd, but could I perhaps be overthinking this?

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
For the sake of comparison, below are some DVD screenshots of ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948). Note the brighter contrast, and lack of borders around "The End" and "Closing Credits" on the 2014 DVD version, which I'm guessing might be from the same transfer used for the 2012 Blu-ray release!

From BEST OF ABBOTT & COSTELLO, VOLUME 3 (2004)
vlcsnap-2016-08-02-11h23m16s342.png

vlcsnap-2016-08-02-11h24m19s379.png

vlcsnap-2016-08-02-11h24m37s094.png

From the 2014 Reissued ABBOTT & COSTELLO: THE COMPLETE UNIVERSAL PICTURES COLLECTION DVD set:
vlcsnap-2016-08-02-14h27m39s972.png

vlcsnap-2016-08-02-14h31m26s687.png

vlcsnap-2016-08-02-14h31m41s124.png

Note: Not visible in these images, but the 2004 version has 2 cue marks, which would indicate to the Projectionist the end of a Film Reel. However, the 2014 version does not. Whether this is because the latter was sourced from the original camera negative, or if the Closing Credit was "frozen" (Although it doesn't appear that way to my eyes!), it's difficult for me to surmise.

Now, I can't help but wonder whether the 2008 version of "Meet Frankenstein" is from the same transfer as the 2004 release?

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Tony
I seem to remember some talk when the complete set came out in 2008 that the print for Meet Frankenstein and Buck Privates were improved. Probably true since those are the two that had Blu Ray releases the new DVDs probably used the same new HD masters.
Regarding It Ain't Hay: I was a member of the Abbott and Costello fan cub in the 1990s. Lou's daughter Patty was very active with the club at that time, not sure if she still is. I collected all the films on VHS except for "It Ain't Hay" in the early 90's. And then waited for that one to be released for several years. I sent Patty an email through the club sometime in 1997 or 98 about why it was not available. She replied and told me it was rights issues with the Damon Runyon estate that were holding it up. So that is what I always believed but it is certainly possible that those rights issues also involved music or maybe it was both issues and music wasn't discovered to be an issue until later as it was 10 years later that it was finally released.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tony
I seem to remember some talk when the complete set came out in 2008 that the print for Meet Frankenstein and Buck Privates were improved. Probably true since those are the two that had Blu Ray releases the new DVDs probably used the same new HD masters.
That does make sense, although I find the fact that out of all the DVDs in my 2014 reissued set, only the Disc with "Meet Frankenstein" had files dated March 2014, while all the other files on all of the other Discs were dated August 2008, as expected for a set that was supposedly only a repackaging of the prior 2008 set. I mean, why would the files for that one disc have a far later date than the others if something wasn't tweaked?

Could it be that ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948) underwent yet another higher res re-scanning after the 2008 release that would have been the basis for the 2012 standalone Blu-ray release and beyond? I'm thinking this could also explain why some found relatively little improvement with the BUCK PRIVATES (1941) Blu-ray, but more so with "Meet Frankenstein"?

I'm just trying to make some sense out of why Disc 9 on the 2014 set alone was redone, and none of the others? My Aspie brain is telling me there must be some reason why that specific one was revisited!

EDIT: OK, I found the answer! The 2008 release used the dreaded Realart Reissue Titles for ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948)!

This is addressed beginning in the fourth post of the following Nitrateville topic:
http://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16951

That would definitely explain Disc 9 being revisited for the 2014 reissue, and based on the "REALART PICTURES INC. Presents" screenshot that was posted (YEECH!!!! :P), thank goodness! :)

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Not for myself, but since stumbling onto the fact that the original 2008 ABBOTT & COSTELLO: THE COMPLETE UNIVERSAL PICTURES COLLECTION Trunk Lid DVD set included a version of A&C MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948) that had a Realart Pictures Inc. replacement card, there is a question I feel should be posed.

As the above set is still in circulation, did Universal pull these back and replace Disc 9 with the 2014 revised version, in which "Meet Frankenstein" has the original openings and closings? If not, does Universal at least offer the revised Disc 9 as a replacement option for those who already own the 2008 Trunk Lid set?

My guess is no to both, but I just thought the question should be asked!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Not for myself, but since stumbling onto the fact that the original 2008 ABBOTT & COSTELLO: THE COMPLETE UNIVERSAL PICTURES COLLECTION Trunk Lid DVD set included a version of A&C MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948) that had a Realart Pictures Inc. replacement card, there is a question I feel should be posed.

As the above set is still in circulation, did Universal pull these back and replace Disc 9 with the 2014 revised version, in which "Meet Frankenstein" has the original openings and closings? If not, does Universal at least offer the revised Disc 9 as a replacement option for those who already own the 2008 Trunk Lid set?

My guess is no to both, but I just thought the question should be asked!

If the image and sound quality is the same, it doesn't matter.
I should have been clearer in my explanation. The Realart Pictures replacement opening was reported to have replaced some of the opening "Meet Frankenstein" animation; plus there was a replacement closing that cut off the closing gag. In my opinion, that does matter.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
ABBOTT & COSTELLO - COMPLETE FEATURE FILMS LIST (1940 - 1959):

(Excluding Lou Costello's Pre 1940 Film Appearances, Other Brief Film Appearances And Theatrically Issued Compilations, But Includes 1 Lou Costello Solo Starring Feature!)

All titles in non bold lettering are available on at least one of the following Universal DVD sets: THE BEST OF ABBOTT & COSTELLO - THE FRANCHISE COLLECTION (Volumes 1 - 4, each volume sold separately; IT AIN'T HAY (1943) is not included on any of these volumes!); ABBOTT & COSTELLO - THE COMPLETE UNIVERSAL PICTURES COLLECTION (2008**, 2014).

Titles in bold lettering weren't made at Universal, and thus, are not available on any of the Abbott & Costello Universal sets. For these titles, the originating domestic U.S. based studio distributor is indicated, along with the home video studio/s, and most up to date format, if available.

01. ONE NIGHT IN THE TROPICS (1940)
02. BUCK PRIVATES (1941)*
03. IN THE NAVY
04. HOLD THAT GHOST
05. KEEP 'EM FLYING
06. RIDE 'EM COWBOY (1942)
07. RIO RITA - MGM / Warner Archive DVD-R
08. PARDON MY SARONG
09. WHO DONE IT?
10. IT AIN'T HAY (1943)
11. HIT THE ICE
12. IN SOCIETY (1944)
13. LOST IN A HAREM - MGM / Warner Home Video DVD (A&C 2 Film Combo)
14. HERE COME THE CO-EDS (1945)
15. THE NAUGHTY NINETIES
16. ABBOTT & COSTELLO IN HOLLYWOOD - MGM / Warner Home Video DVD (A&C 2 Film Combo)

Abbott & Costello - Together, But Separate (Next 2 Films):

17. LITTLE GIANT (1946)
18. THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES

19. BUCK PRIVATES COME HOME (1947)
20. THE WISTFUL WIDOW OF WAGON GAP
21. THE NOOSE HANGS HIGH (1948) - Eagle-Lion Films / MGM DVD
22. ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN *
23. MEXICAN HAYRIDE
24. AFRICA SCREAMS (1949) - United Artists / Public Domain (Many Versions) DVD
25. ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE KILLER, BORIS KARLOFF
26. ABBOTT & COSTELLO IN THE FOREIGN LEGION (1950)
27. ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE INVISIBLE MAN (1951)
28. COMIN' ROUND THE MOUNTAIN
29. JACK AND THE BEANSTALK (1952) - Warner Bros. / Public Domain (Many Versions) DVD
30. LOST IN ALASKA
31. ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET CAPTAIN KIDD - Warner Bros / Warner Archive DVD-R
32. ABBOTT & COSTELLO GO TO MARS (1953)
33. ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE
34. ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE KEYSTONE KOPS (1955)
35. ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE MUMMY
36. DANCE WITH ME, HENRY (1956) - United Artists / Olive Films Blu-ray

Lou Costello Solo Starring Appearance:

37. THE 30 FOOT BRIDE OF CANDY ROCK (1959) - Columbia Pictures / Sony Pictures Home Entertainment DVD-R

* Also available as Universal Blu-ray standalone disc in Region A.

** On the 2008 DVD set, ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948) has replacement cards by Realart Pictures Inc, that replace some of the opening animation, and cut the closing gag short! The original openings and closings have been restored on the 2014 repackaged DVD set!

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
^Rio Rita is a Warner Archives DVD-R and has had two releases. The more recent was remastered.
If everything else is equal, I generally consider the pressed DVD version superior in terms of format, but the more recent one being remastered may more than cancel out the format issue.

Duly noted, Howie! I now have both versions listed, so that others may decide for themselves. Thanks for your helpful posting!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
You're welcome! But... I erred. There's only been *one* Warner Archive DVD-R release. The other, which I've always thought was a earlier effort and never looked closely since the better label has "remastered" on it, is a completely different movie with the same name - a Western from 1929.

Are you *sure* this one had a pressed R1 DVD release? AFAIK Rio Rita and A&C Meet Captain Kidd have both received only DVD-R releases from Warner Archive. That's truly a shame as I'm positive these would sell very well if given pressed releases, either individually or in a set.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
You're welcome! But... I erred. There's only been *one* Warner Archive DVD-R release. The other, which I've always thought was a earlier effort and never looked closely since the better label has "remastered" on it, is a completely different movie with the same name - a Western from 1929.

Are you *sure* this one had a pressed R1 DVD release? AFAIK Rio Rita and A&C Meet Captain Kidd have both received only DVD-R releases from Warner Archive. That's truly a shame as I'm positive these would sell very well if given pressed releases, either individually or in a set.
I should have caught on to that, as I do know of the earlier 1929 Wheeler & Woolsey version. The other thing that threw me was that the DVD-R distinction wasn't made within Amazon Canada's description, plus my tendency to lump this with the other 2 A&C MGM Features, which are on pressed DVD.

Why the above have never been given pressed releases, who knows? On the other side of the coin, I wish the Warner Archive release of JACK AND THE BEANSTALK (1952) had gone ahead as planned! The best that's out there on DVD of this and AFRICA SCREAMS (1949), is the still soft image versions by Roan, who ripped off Bob Furmanek's Laser Disc Transfers, which doesn't exactly serve as incentive for any other reputable companies to produce any updated digital scans for these PD Films, that in my opinion, are sorely needed!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The 1929 version of Rio Rita, of course, was the movie version of the famous Broadway show which had opened the Ziegfeld Theater in 1927. It was a big hit on stage and was one of the very biggest hits of the early talkie period. It established Bebe Daniels as a star of talking pictures (her MGM bosses had cast her aside thinking she wouldn't be able to make the transition from silent to sound) and gave her not only new life in movies but also made her a recording star for a time.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
But for the record the 1942 Rio Rita with Abbot and Costello was re-mastered and looks very nice.
I presently only have the TCM presentation for that one, although I've heard very positive comments about Warner's remastering. I just wish they'd do JACK AND THE BEANSTALK (1952), so that I could retire the Roan DVD. A Blu-ray two pack of this and ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET CAPTAIN KIDD (1952) would be fantastic!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks