What's new

The Abbott & Costello Complete Universal Pictures Sets: Could A Blu-Ray Version Be Next? (1 Viewer)

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Is there a chance there planning a bluray set , This price is amazing but some of these are on bluray all ready . I kinda hate buying dvds of movies that I own blurays of .

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Is there a chance there planning a bluray set , This price is amazing but some of these are on bluray all ready . I kinda hate buying dvds of movies that I own blurays of .
The unfortunate consensus seems to be that Universal likely doesn't think the potential sales volume would justify a Blu-ray release.

For the benefit of those who aren't aware, here's a list of the Abbott And Costello Universal Features that are already available on Blu-ray in Region A:

BUCK PRIVATES (1941) - Minus the Bob Furmanek/Ron Palumbo Feature Length commentary
ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948)
ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET THE MUMMY (1955) - Original Aspect Ratio 1.85:1

That two of the most popular A & C Features are already on Blu-ray, especially with the extreme saturation of multiple releases for their most popular "Meet Frankenstein" film, likely doesn't aid in the viability of issuing a Blu-ray set of their complete Universal catalog either, sad to say! Frankly, that this would likely also mean that ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET THE KEYSTONE KOPS (1955) will never be issued in its original 2:1 aspect ratio (Flat screen zoom features won't fully accommodate that specific AR!), is what bothers me the most!

CHEERS! :)

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Some of the Universal TV Series that were originally released on flippers ultimately received DVD 9 upgrades. Later, Mill Creek released some of those on Bluray. I'm not thinking Universal would let Mill Creek release the A&C films in a set, but that maybe Uni would release some of the films in a Bluray set on their own.

Whatever does or doesn't happen, I'm happy getting the DVD set for the 25 dollars plus change price. It also gives me a reason to go through the films once again, which I haven't done in quite some time.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I wonder why they re-released it vertically..Im sure most know this but one set is shaped like a treasure chest and then it was re-released vertically, I guess for those that want to align it with other boxed set that tend to be vertical :)

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Just taken delivery of the boys DANCE WITH ME HENRY! 1956 and must congratulate Olive Films for this, Its a really nice transfer to Blu-Ray with our audience really enjoying it up on our 8ft screen although sad to remember Lou passed on just a very short time after it was completed :-(

Thank you Olive and everyone else involved for bringing this to fans on Blu-Ray a valued film here.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Just taken delivery of the boys DANCE WITH ME HENRY! 1956 and must congratulate Olive Films for this, Its a really nice transfer to Blu-Ray with our audience really enjoying it up on our 8ft screen although sad to remember Lou passed on just a very short time after it was completed :-(

Thank you Olive and everyone else involved for bringing this to fans on Blu-Ray a valued film here.
Lou's passing was actually more than 2 years after the release of this film, but yeah, his was a life much too short, riddled by numerous bouts of rheumatic fever from late 1942, onward! :(

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Would be nice if one day 30ft Bride of Candy Rock had resto to Blu-Ray as well, as we get to older these films have more meaning I feel.
We will be watching Dance with me Henry! again before very long..

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
ABBOTT & COSTELLO - COMPLETE FEATURE FILMS LIST (1940 - 1959) (January, 2022 Update!):

(Excluding Lou Costello's Pre 1940 Film Appearances, Other Brief Film Appearances And Theatrically Issued Compilations, But Includes 1 Lou Costello Solo Starring Feature!)

All titles in non bold lettering are available on at least one of the following Universal DVD sets: THE BEST OF ABBOTT & COSTELLO - THE FRANCHISE COLLECTION (Volumes 1 - 4, each volume sold separately; IT AIN'T HAY (1943) is not included on any of these volumes!); ABBOTT & COSTELLO - THE COMPLETE UNIVERSAL PICTURES COLLECTION (2008**, 2014). The last title has since been made available in the Blu-ray Format by SHOUT! Factory, as of November, 2019.

Titles in bold lettering weren't made at Universal, and thus, are not available on any of the Abbott & Costello Universal sets. For these titles, the originating domestic U.S. based studio distributor is indicated, along with the home video studio/s, and most up to date format, if available.

01. ONE NIGHT IN THE TROPICS (1940)
02. BUCK PRIVATES (1941)*
03. IN THE NAVY
04. HOLD THAT GHOST
05. KEEP 'EM FLYING
06. RIDE 'EM COWBOY (1942)
07. RIO RITA - MGM / Warner Archive DVD-R
08. PARDON MY SARONG
09. WHO DONE IT?
10. IT AIN'T HAY (1943)
11. HIT THE ICE
12. IN SOCIETY (1944)
13. LOST IN A HAREM - MGM / Warner Home Video DVD (A&C 2 Film Combo)
14. HERE COME THE CO-EDS (1945)
15. THE NAUGHTY NINETIES
16. ABBOTT & COSTELLO IN HOLLYWOOD - MGM / Warner Home Video DVD (A&C 2 Film Combo)

Abbott & Costello - Together, But Separate (Next 2 Films):

17. LITTLE GIANT (1946)
18. THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES

19. BUCK PRIVATES COME HOME (1947)
20. THE WISTFUL WIDOW OF WAGON GAP
21. THE NOOSE HANGS HIGH (1948) - Eagle-Lion Films / MGM DVD (Since Issued to Blu-ray by ClassicFlix)
22. ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN *
23. MEXICAN HAYRIDE
24. AFRICA SCREAMS (1949) - United Artists / Public Domain (Many Versions) DVD (Since Issued to Blu-ray by ClassicFlix)
25. ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE KILLER, BORIS KARLOFF
26. ABBOTT & COSTELLO IN THE FOREIGN LEGION (1950)
27. ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE INVISIBLE MAN (1951)
28. COMIN' ROUND THE MOUNTAIN
29. JACK AND THE BEANSTALK (1952) - Warner Bros. / Public Domain (Many Versions) DVD (Being restored for future Blu-ray release by ClassicFlix)
30. LOST IN ALASKA
31. ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET CAPTAIN KIDD - Warner Bros / Warner Archive DVD-R
32. ABBOTT & COSTELLO GO TO MARS (1953)
33. ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE
34. ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE KEYSTONE KOPS (1955) (1.85:1 on Shout! Factory Blu-ray set. Correct AR is 2:1, according to Bob Furmanek)
35. ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE MUMMY (1.85:1 on Shout! Factory Blu-ray set, and other Blu-ray releases since 2017)
36. DANCE WITH ME, HENRY (1956) - United Artists / Olive Films Blu-ray

Lou Costello Solo Starring Appearance:

37. THE 30 FOOT BRIDE OF CANDY ROCK (1959) - Columbia Pictures / Sony Pictures Home Entertainment DVD-R

* Also available as Universal Blu-ray standalone disc in Region A.

** On the 2008 DVD set, ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948) has replacement cards by Realart Pictures Inc, that replace some of the opening animation, and cut the closing gag short! The original openings and closings have been restored on the 2014 repackaged DVD set!

This is an update of the original post (#112) from August 7, 2016.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
They're still using the same old, tired analogue transfers from the 1980's. Sigh.

It's time the Estate do new HD transfers from the 35mm fine grains. The show can look stunning!
THE ABBOTT & COSTELLO SHOW Season 1 Episodes sure do Bob, thanks to your perseverance, and you and your restoration team's efforts! Who would have thought at the time, HD transfers from the original 35mm negatives would be even remotely possible? :thumbs-up-smiley:

Lou Tipping His Hat To You!
screenshot008.jpg

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
That price of $215.00 is steep. The MSRP is $169.99. You can buy the set on Amazon right now for $137.20.

And I'd never shop at Walmart either online or in store, especially.
I had checked the posts in the thread quickly and just a quick look did not show any recognition of the blu ray being out there. If I missed it my bad.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
That price of $215.00 is steep. The MSRP is $169.99. You can buy the set on Amazon right now for $137.20.

And I'd never shop at Walmart either online or in store, especially.
Movie Mars on Amazon 130.69 plus 3.99 shipping

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I have an offhand question. Wasn't Lou Costello's THE 30 FOOT BRIDE OF CANDY ROCK (1959) supposed to get a Blu-ray release? I ask this because I thought I recalled having read about such somewhere a few years back, yet the Google searches I did yesterday while updating my Abbott & Costello Complete Feature Films list came up empty.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
ABBOTT & COSTELLO - THE COMPLETE UNIVERSAL PICTURES COLLECTION (2008**, 2014). The last title has since been made available in the Blu-ray Format by SHOUT! Factory, as of November, 2019.

I had checked the posts in the thread quickly and just a quick look did not show any recognition of the blu ray being out there. If I missed it my bad.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
ABBOTT & COSTELLO - THE COMPLETE UNIVERSAL PICTURES COLLECTION (2008**, 2014). The last title has since been made available in the Blu-ray Format by SHOUT! Factory, as of November, 2019.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks