What's new

The Abbott & Costello Complete Universal Pictures Sets: Could A Blu-Ray Version Be Next? (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I was curious about that as well, also if “One Night in the Tropics” had its original Universal opening credits or the Realart re-release version that’s on the U.S. box-set.
Hi William!

Perhaps you could provide a bit of clarification in regards to just what distinguishes the Original version from the Realart Reissue for ONE NIGHT IN THE TROPICS?

By U.S. Box Set, I assume that you mean the ABBOTT & COSTELLO: THE COMPLETE UNIVERSAL PICTURES COLLECTION 15 DVD Set! Regardless, I have both this and the "Best Of" Franchise Collection Volumes, and the Opening Credits appear to be identical for both.

CHEERS! :)

Tony

[email protected]

Supporting Actor
Both the Franchise and Complete Collection have the Realart opening; following the Universal logo “One Night in the Tropics” cuts to the cast list on a generic background then cuts back to the original opening witch features Allan Jones and Robert Cummings. The 90s VHS release had both original opening and the end titles.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Both the Franchise and Complete Collection have the Realart opening; following the Universal logo “One Night in the Tropics” cuts to the cast list on a generic background then cuts back to the original opening witch features Allan Jones and Robert Cummings. The 90s VHS release had both original opening and the end titles.
Hi William!

I did suspect that you might have been referring to the generic background for the cast list, which also cuts to the original opening rather abruptly! I also find it rather curious that the earlier VHS Edition had all of the original opening and closing titles, but NONE of the subsequent DVD issues! Whatever could have happened to these?

Original "A Universal Picture" Rotating Logo Opening:
dvd_snapshot_00.00.04_2014.12.12_11.16.26.jpg

Cast List With Generic Background:
dvd_snapshot_00.00.17_2014.12.12_11.17.44.jpg

Original Opening Title:
dvd_snapshot_00.00.29_2014.12.12_11.18.06.jpg

CHEERS!

Tony

P.S. I also find it a bit interesting that Realart Pictures, Inc. didn't superimpose their Watermark on this print, considering what they did with their BUCK PRIVATES Reissue!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Interesting question Tony on what happened to the original titles that were on the VHS.
Two guesses:
1.) The VHS print was not good enough for DVD so a better quality Realart copy was used.
2.) The original opening titles were destroyed in the fire or maybe have degraded too much since the early 90's VHS releases.

Since the original titles were probably not stored separately my first guess is probably the most likely reason.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Randy Korstick said:
Interesting question Tony on what happened to the original titles that were on the VHS.
Two guesses:
1.) The VHS print was not good enough for DVD so a better quality Realart copy was used.
2.) The original opening titles were destroyed in the fire or maybe have degraded too much since the early 90's VHS releases.

Since the original titles were probably not stored separately my first guess is probably the most likely reason.
Hi Randy!

Barring any further information, I tend to agree with you, regarding this!

Of course, visual verification is always preferable. Unfortunately, at US Amazon (Via Third Party Merchant), who has the best price by far, the ONE NIGHT IN THE TROPICS VHS (1993 Release) is listed as "Can't ship to North Bay" (In other words, Canada!). Why they would pull this stunt for a 20 plus year old tape is beyond me, and I think it's bloody asinine, but so it goes! Besides that, I currently find myself waiting for a new CC in the mail due to the fact that my CC company gave me some bad information when I inquired about renewals back in June. Therefore, I can't order anything from Amazon at the present, and with Christmas less than two weeks away! Automatic renewal, my fanny! Sorry about my mini rant Randy, but I really hate it when those who are paid to do a job can't even get basic information right!

CHEERS!

Tony

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Just my two cents, but in marked contrast with their '50s movies, I think Lou Costello was in top form on the TV front during this time--particularly those Colgate Comedy Hours. Costello thrived on audience interaction. These programs were remarkable, in contrast with their increasingly uninspired '50s movies.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Bob Furmanek said:
PS - It's long out of print but I still have copies of our book for sale. If anyone is interested, send me a PM via the forum. Thanks!
I can heartily recommend the book you wrote with Ron. It covers just about everything anyone would want to know about Bud & Lou's films.

I have two copies - one a used copy that I bought online and keep handy as a ready reference, and the mint copy which I got from you and sits in one of my bookcases, essentially untouched.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I recently viewed ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN with Gregory W. Mank's commentary. As with the Bob Furmanek / Ron Palumbo commentary for BUCK PRIVATES, I found that there was quite a lot of interesting tidbits! It is, in my opinion, a shame that at least the Mank commentary wasn't included in the initial "BEST OF ABBOTT & COSTELLO" Volume 3 Set, as it did exist at the time of its issue! I'm not certain when the latter was done.

In addition, I found the DVD video quality to be pretty top notch for both aforementioned Films (Especially "MEET FRANKENSTEIN!), and am not certain that the available Blu-Ray Versions amount to very substantial improvement.

CHEERS!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It does offer substantial improvement Tony. The blu is beautiful and better than the DVD in all departments (and I thought the DVD looked great too).

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tino said:
It does offer substantial improvement Tony. The blu is beautiful and better than the DVD in all departments (and I thought the DVD looked great too).
Hi Valentino!

To be fair, we don't have any 1080p Screens in our household. My observations for BUCK PRIVATES and "MEET FRANKENSTEIN" are based on a 15.6" Computer Screen with a 768p (1366 x 768) resolution, which wouldn't either display the full Blu-Ray quality (If my laptop was set up for it!), nor reveal as much Visual DVD imperfection as a 1080p screen would, if that makes any sense!

Tony

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
15.6" computer screen??Then my friend, you haven't really seen either film the way they should be seen. :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tino said:
15.6" computer screen??Then my friend, you haven't really seen either film the way they should be seen. :)
Hi Valentino!

We do also have a 32" 720p Flatscreen TV, but that's as big as it gets in our Household! IT AIN'T HAY does look very good with that setup, though I've yet to view the other two aforementioned Films from the ABBOTT & COSTELLO: THE COMPLETE UNIVERSAL PICTURES COLLECTION that way.

Tony

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
All my DVDs looked great on my old 32" Sony. It wasn't till I went 1080p that I noticed how much better the Blu Rays are. That being said, the DVDs still look fine and better than most films from the same era.Hell I'd watch 'em on VHS if that was the only option! ;)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tino said:
All my DVDs looked great on my old 32" Sony. It wasn't till I went 1080p that I noticed how much better the Blu Rays are.That being said, the DVDs still look fine and better than most films from the same era.Hell I'd watch 'em on VHS if that was the only option! ;)
Hi Valentino!

So would I, though thank goodness VHS isn't the ONLY option for viewing the Abbott & Costello Film Library, though apparently to view ONE NIGHT IN THE TROPICS with ALL Original Credits intact (Outside of extant Film Prints, at least!), it is!

I did observe that, even on my 15.6" Screen, the visuals for BUCK PRIVATES and ONE NIGHT IN THE TROPICS do appear at least marginally better on the 2008 Universal DVD Release than the previous 2004 "BEST OF" incarnation. Perhaps, it was in the interim that the HD digital upgrades might have been applied to the 28 A&C Universals?

Speaking of the number 28, just the other day, I discovered that Bud & Lou also made a total of 28 COLGATE COMEDY HOUR appearances! What neat reminders of the famous "28" Burlesque routine that they first visually immortalized in their 1941 Classic IN THE NAVY!

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Bob Furmanek said:
Hi Bob!

Unfortunately, Hulu remains inaccessible for Canadian Viewers (Will Hulu EVER grant us access? They've certainly rambled on about it enough years without actually implementing this!), such as myself, though several of the Abbott & Costello Colgate Episodes (Which, I assume are Public Domain!) are also available on YouTube.

Tony

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Albert!

I wasn't aware of the BEST OF ABBOTT & COSTELLO Volumes having been upgraded in any way! Do you know whether IT AIN'T HAY is also included in this upgrade?

The second set is what I received in the mail from Canadian Amazon (At $52.99, I simply couldn't pass it up, and it's already back up to $91.98!) only yesterday. I still have the original 4 "Best Of" Volumes that are, unfortunately double-sided. Also, I always thought that the blank side on the final disc on Volume 4 was a waste of space. I mean, if double-sided discs must be used, there might as well be some content on every side!

Tony
No It Ain't Hay isn't included . They are basically the same as the original issues , but as single sided discs , and in standard slim-line multi - disc DVD cases. I have the original double sided versions , and I did buy the 2008 version of the box set . Incidentally , the Abbott and Costello Show has been reissued AGAIN - this time in slightly more compact fashion. (It's also been issued in separate season 1 and season 2 sets). The A&C show has now been issued 5 times by my count !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks