What's new

The 25 best-selling DVDs of all-time (1 Viewer)

DeeF

Screenwriter
I have 3.

Shrek
Lord of the Rings (the first version)
Snow White

and I own one of the TV sets:

Friends, Season 1

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
btw, most dvds on the list are "crap movies"
This is not a 'critics list' but a 'mass-appeal' list. Interesting that after all these years I am defending the commercial rather than the artistic side :b . I am a bit embarrased (since I bought several of the titles on show-off value rather than rewatchable classics-value) but if my collection was taken as a whole you would definitely find some eclectic fare. After all I was raised on three continents just in the first 8 years of my life :) . I guess this shows how much I've aclimated to 'American Culture'.
Joel

Wes C

Supporting Actor
I'll repeat what someone else said.

Where is fight club???? I know it has sold more than alot of the movies on that list!

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Of those movies on the list, I own:
Monsters, Inc.
The Matrix
The Fast and the Furious
The Simpsons — Complete First Season
The Simpsons — Complete Second Season (Fox)

My grandfather owns Shrek & Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (both of these DVD's are in our house)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Where is fight club???? I know it has sold more than alot of the movies on that list!
Kinda doubt it. Fight Club enjoys a big fan base among folks like us, but it remains pretty obscure for the general public.

Also, it came out in June 2000, and discs that sold big back then don't compare to big sellers today. Look at the release dates of the DVDs on the list:

9/02
11/01
5/02
8/02
12/01
9/99
11/00
1/02
10/01
12/01
11/01
10/00
6/02
3/02
1/02
10/01
5/02
11/01
5/01
12/01
10/01
6/01
3/01
3/01
8/01

Notice a trend? Had it made the list, Fight Club would be the second-oldest title on it after The Matrix. Considering that the latter was the first big "killer app" for DVD, its presence here makes sense. Fight Club did very well for a movie that only made $37 million - you can't expect it outsold these other movies. Look at that list: almost all of them earned more than $100 million...

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Six of the top 25 (as listed in the first thread):

-Fellowship of the Ring (own both the theatrical and EE releases)

-Gladiator

-Matrix

-The Mummy Returns

-Ocean's Eleven

-Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

From the TV shows:

-Best of Friends, Volume 1

While I agree that the top 25 for the most part reflects popular taste as opposted to quality, I have serious problems with someone calling Matrix, CTHD and FotR "crap" movies. You may not like them, but they're certainly far better than Pearl Harbor or Grinch.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I own 18 of the top 25 dvds, yes poor fool that I am I'm constantly buying dvds, even films I hadn't seen before, must remember to rent more.
ps. I'm amazed at some members bragging that they haven't bought any dvds on that list... um whats wrong with 'em? he innocently asked, too entertaining perhaps or too loud or...[Steve stop it!].. I'm just asking.;)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
ps. I'm amazed at some members bragging that they haven't bought any dvds on that list... um whats wrong with 'em? he innocently asked, too entertaining perhaps or too loud or...[Steve stop it!].. I'm just asking.
Gee, Steve I don’t think that I was bragging, but just stating the number that I own and how many more I plan to obtain. As to the why, its pretty easy: even though a good many of these film are quite entertaining, I have little desire to see many of then on a frequent basis. And less desire to own them as reference points.
Specifically, if you are really interested (and BTW, don’t take any of this as commenting one way or the other about anyone else’s buying habits—it is only a reflection of mine).
The first three are primarily children’s movies, and are all well done. But for me, owning such movies would bring no particular value. I did like the first ‘Harry Potter’ well enough that I’ll go see the next one in the theatre. Overall, I don’t care much for the video animation film as a style, so this is another reason that I’d not get Shrek or Monster, Inc.. I plan to pick up Toy Story and Small Soldiers, as reference points for what I consider the best of this type of film.
As indicated, I’ll probably pick up LOTR at some point. No rush, as there will wind up being so many editions, that it will be hard to choose. Right now I’m waiting for the 53-disk, ultimate collectors edition with commentaries by every member of the cast and crew. :D
I’m sure that Pearl Harbor is a very fine DVD. This, in my opinion, does not make it a very fine movie. There are a large number of WWII movies that I would purchase before this.
I own ‘Martix’
See my comments on Pearl Harbor for Gladiator
Apply this reasoning also to Fast and Furious. There are lots of brainless, action flics that I like a lot better. And would watch instead of ‘Furious’ when in the mood for a movie of this type.
As for the ‘Phantom Menace’, I consider this the absolute low point of the vision begun all those years ago. The only reason that I’d buy this, would be to complete a set. I’m not that driven.
Rush Hour 2 is not only inferior to the first one, but is not nearly as good as most Jackie Chan movies. And not nearly as good as most Hong Kong action films.
There are many, many animated Christmas movies that I like better than ‘Grinch’, including ‘Muppet Christmas’ and Emit Otter’s Jug Band Christmas for me to want to purchase this movie.
I consider The Patriot to be two-dimensional. It only appears to consider issues, such as the necessity of war. In the end, the Brits are too much just cartoon characters and the Americans too noble for me to ever want to see this again. Mel Gibson is very good, but there are other films where he is equally good, that I like better.
Black Hawk Down is the one film in this collection, where I think that my view is way out of sync of both the critical and popular mainstream. Suffice to say, that I don’t like the movie. I’ll not cite reasons, as it would just sidetrack the thread, and I already know that everyone will disagree.
Training Day has a lot of energy and Washington gets to chew up the scenery. But there are other films of this type that I enjoy more and would watch in preference. I’d rent this, if I wanted to see it again and certainly would remain open to a purchase if seeing it another time changed my view.
See my comments on Rush Hour 2 and just apply them to American Pie 2
Do the same for The Mummy Returns
Nothing against Oceans Eleven as it is much better than the one with the Rat Pack. Still there is nothing compelling enough in this movie that I want to see it again.
I think that ‘Apes’ missed the mark. It looks good, but I think the ideas weak and conventional. Satire needs to be daring. No re-watch value for me.
As I wrote, I do have a R4/PAL version of ‘Tiger/Dragon’. While I like it ok, I won’t bother with an NTSC version, as I really think that there are a lot of better Hong Kong films in the same genre.
For Jurassic Park III triple my comments on RH2 & AP2.
‘Snow White’ is one that I will buy. Just have not got around to it yet.
I put Cast Away in the same category as Training Day, though I do consider that it has a bit more merit. Might rent this, and if my mind changes, purchase.
I have ‘Parents’ in the fun, but nothing special category. As with many others, I liked it well enough, but not well enough to see again and again.
Nothing against ‘Titans’, but it makes complex issues way too easy for me to want to see very many times. You do feel good for a while, but, for me, there is nothing that remains. Put another way, I liked the movie less a week later, than I did when I was watching it. Maybe I need to give it another go, but for now its not on my buy list.
Finally, if I want to watch Anthony Hopkins playing Hannibal Lecter, I’ll break out my copy of Silence of the Lambs.
So, am I bragging? No. But for me, my low purchase count makes perfect sense. So many other movies on which to spend my money.

muskie

Agent
For the record I have none of them, not even any of them on VHS.

I buy DVD's regularly too, the last one I bought was the new edition of "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest".

That said I will soon own at least one of them, as I plan to buy Fellowship of the Rings now that the snazzier editions are out, or more correctly ask for it for Christmas.

Muskie

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I own all the DVDs on that list (gee, big surprise). I enjoy all kinds of movies, and that includes a lot of the mainstream stuff (which is not to say I liked every film on the list--I didn't). Anyway, what I watch all depends on my mood.

Ruth_F

Stunt Coordinator
I have nine (counting spiderman), none of the tv shows. most surprising:

planet of the apes
meet the parents.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
5. Pearl Harbor (Touchstone) 7.7
6. The Matrix (Warner) 7.5
7. Gladiator (DreamWorks) 7.2
8. The Fast and the Furious (Universal) 6.5
10. Rush Hour 2 (New Line) 4.7
12. The Patriot (Columbia TriStar) 4.2
13. Black Hawk Down (Columbia TriStar) 4.1
14. Training Day (Warner) 3.9
18. Planet of the Apes (Fox) 3.7
19. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Columbia TriStar) 3.5
21. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Buena Vista) 3.2
23. Meet the Parents (Universal) 2.7
25. Hannibal (MGM) 2.5
You may want to consider adding SW as the fullscreen didn't come out until last week and wouldn't have been included on the top 25.
I only have 4, (borrowed 4 more) but I've seen 24 of the films.;)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Lew to be honest I didn't even notice your post, I read the first page and quickly skimmed thru pages 2 and 3, um thats what we all do isn't it, read the first page and than rev up to skimming speed? ;)
But I enjoyed your short Maltinesque dvd reviews, nice.:)

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
I have:

6. The Matrix (Warner) 7.5
7. Gladiator (DreamWorks) 7.2
9. Star Wars, Episode I: The Phantom Menace (Fox) 5.0

Well, and now Spiderman and LOTR EE (which I doubt will make it in there).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks