What's new

Thanks Sony You Killed the Format (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...archived=False

Well Sony is to blame for this. I like the Quote that the PSP is a Gaming Device Period, that's not how they were touting it before. Sales of UMD movies when there was no games were steller, people wee watching movies on the Device, problem is the Studio Got Greedy. Setting the Price Point to almost double of a DVD is what killed the Format. People would've accepted they were only playable on the unit if the Price point was reasonable, say $8-9 a title. If they were we'd be talking about the success of the format. That fact that they blame everything But that is very Telling that they still don't get it.

Well maybe a Firmware revison to allow 480x272 encoding now..Please...

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I think that UMD can be saved by making it an open format. Sony should make UMD-recording drives and allow people to buy blank UMDs. Let the consumer decide what to do with the discs.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I'm curious how others view movies. I only use the feature when I'm flying. And for that transferring to the memory card from a DVD works great. One, it's free (assuming you own the DVD). Two, it uses less battery power so I can watch more without having to find a outlet during a stopover.

Although allowing writable UMDs would be intersting and might just do the trick to keep it alive. So would cheaper movies, say $10.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks