What's new

Thanks AVIA! (audio test reveals need for SVS!) (1 Viewer)

MarkPayton

Stunt Coordinator
I was tweaking my system the other day with AVIA and decided to run through ALL of the audio adjustments (never completed this the first time). I came to the part with the low frequency sweep that tests each speaker with a descending tone from 200hz down to 20hz. Let me tell you, this feature is an amazing tool for justifying an equipment purchase! Until this moment, while I knew we were missing some bass, I thought the little Klipsch's (RB-5's, RC-3) were giving a decent show, and given their published specs showing depth to 48hz (-3db) I didn't think I was missing ALL THAT MUCH. Boy was I wrong...
Sitting there with my kids (6, 4, and 2) we watched and listened as my mains each valiantly tried to hold on and play as deep they could go... the numbers fell, and the output of each speaker became quieter and quieter until at about 55hz there was near complete silence. This is with receiver settings of large fronts and no sub - so I know they were getting all the signal. I was astounded.
Even my kids knew something was missing ("daddy, why did it get quiet?" "because we have no subwoofer honey - do you think we need a subwoofer?" [child nods]"good - let's tell mom!"). My wife was duly impressed with the astounding lack of bass in our system...I had the SVS order placed within 30 minutes!
There are such a huge number of useful tests and calibration patterns on this disc - I had already used them to dramatically improve the video image. But I had no idea it could also be such a help in justifying a subwoofer upgrade. Thanks AVIA!
Now: Any ideas on a test to demonstrate the "need" for progressive scan DVD?
------------------

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Great idea! We'll have to put in WAF enhancement tests in a special edition. One could have tests that will clearly indicate you need an upgrade regardless of what your current equipment actually is doing should be the ticket. Yes, a sweep tone that secretly drops off at low frequencies so you can demonstrate that indeed you do need that 4th SVS sub. Progressive scan tests that will always indicate the "appropriate" definitive test.
At any rate, congratulations on the WAF ok'ed SVS order.
------------------
Guy Kuo
Link Removed

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Guy,
I've had a lot of problems with the menus on my newly purchased Avia DVD. They freeze and take forever. Sometime my ability to select an option disappears completely and I'm stuck until I restart. This is the only DVD that I have ever had a problem with on my Onkyo DVD player. Have you heard about any of these problems before? It could very well be user error.
Thanks,
Jeff

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
The menuing system on the AVIA disc is probably one of the most complex that a player is every likely to handle. The disc has a lot of branch points and some players can have difficulty keeping up. Fortunately, those are quite few and far between. The most common problem is on Toshiba based players which sometimes don't show the menu hiliting as one selects items. The fix there is to turn subtitles on and the back off from the DVD player remote.
I've run inot a non-reproducible loss of menues on a Denon player, but most players do just fine. The best I can do is to advise you to try the disc on another model player to make assure yourself it isn't the disc itself.
------------------
Guy Kuo
Link Removed

Sania M

Agent
Guy,
Have you considered adding a full frequency response from say 10hz-22khz or even higher to the new Avia. W/ a SPL you could measure where the dropouts are. I have a cd w/ some of these test tones. It's really useful and has helped me flatten out some dropouts in a soon to be replaced system.

MarkPayton

Stunt Coordinator
Got mine from Amazon - not the best price, but they have a good bit in stock. Most of the online DVD vendors seem to carry it, as well as the B&M video stores.
------------------

MarkPayton

Stunt Coordinator
Just got confirmation of SVS having shipped - less than 24 hours later, on a holiday no less... serious anticipation here... can't wait to fire up AVIA again (oh and maybe a movie or two)!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks