What's new

Thank you all! (1 Viewer)

Stephanie

Auditioning
:D I want to thank all the members who stopped me from buying a Bose 321 system. All I had to do was read about everyone's opinions here and the info on the construction was very helpful. It is unfortunate that I live 2 hours from any larger city and 8 hours from any audio stores that have listening rooms worth going to. Therefore I used all the info I have read here and bought (I know its awful for true audiophiles) an HTIB from Crutchfield. There is just no way to hear any to put together a system.
Anyway, I did buy an Onkyo LSV-500c with 5 disc, DD, DTS, Pro-Logic II and 100 watts X 5 and a 150 w sub. It seems to be a good beginning system and who knows later after reading more info from you guys. Since I will have to buy an HDTV in a few years.
Thanks again. Let me know if anyone has heard this system.
Stephanie

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Stephanie. Welcome to HTF! :)
You are about to discover a little-known secret: a set of budget speakers with a modest receiver can create a great HT experience.
The goal of a music system is accuracy. The equipment & speakers are priced for this.
But a DVD movie has mainly artifical sounds, and it's highly compressed compared to a CD. The goal of a HT system is impact. It does not need highly accurate equipment to shine.
Get the Radio Shack SPL meter and a copy of the AVIA setup DVD and search this fourm for "calibration" and "speaker setup". This should give you lots of advice about how to place the speakers, level adjust and position that subwoofer for the best effect.
Enjoy your stay.

Stephanie

Auditioning
Thanks Bob for the info. I will check the info you gave and look again when I get to the setup part of this purchase. I must say I am very excited about hearing my DVDs in surround. We have almost 150 in our collection and have been listening to them on 2 crappy speakers from who knows where!

Stephanie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks