What's new

Texas Hold Em Question (1 Viewer)

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Hi guys. I have a question about a particular hand in Texas Hold Em. I was playing with a couple of friends and there was controversy about the following:

Cards on the table

A, 10, 5, 4, 7

Friend 1:
10, 9

Friend 2:
10, J

Both of them have a pair (2 10's). The controversy is in the tie breaker.
Friend 2 says he won because the tie breaker is the other card that each player has, which in this case, friend 2 has the highest (J).

Friend 1 says that friend 2's other card (J) does not beat the highest card on the table (A) and therefore, there is a draw and both players should split the pot.

For those of you that have more experience in this, what are the rules in this case?

Thank you in advance.

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
The top 5 cards are what count, it don't matter where they are. the remainder cards are dead.

10, 10, A, J, 7 wins

Mark Klaus

Stunt Coordinator
Both players make their best 5 card hand, in this case:

Player 1: 10 10 A 9 7

Player 2: 10 10 A J 7

Player 2 gets the pot.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You play the best 5 cards from each player's hand, so friend 2's J is in play because his hand is 10 10 A J 7, while friend 1's hand is 10 10 A 9 7. The J in friend 2's hand is the higher kicker in this case and nets him the pot.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yep, as noted above, Player 2 is the winner since after the 10-10-A, their J beats everything else on the table.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Sounds like this was a start up game or something? That is a pretty simple scenario actually, and if Friend 1 was that far off, the only reason I'd invite him back was for easy money.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
Agreed with every one else.

It is actually the most basic concept of Texas Holdem. Make your best 5 card hand from ANY of the 7 cards.

Next time before you start a game, if you have some rookies, either send email or go over the rules before the game starts to avoid a situation like this.

Andy

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
About a year ago a coworker of mine invited me to a holdem party that he was hosting. I was vaguely familiar with the game having played at partypoker.net but had never used real cards, much less real money. There was one hand in particular where I had a flush and another guy had a straight, and I figured out that I won the hand based on his reaction to the cards that I laid on the table :)
There were sixteen guys playing in that tourney and somehow I managed to win the thing.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the 2 friends in question were the ones with the most experience out of the 5 that were playing. This was just my 2nd game playing with real cards and real money so I wasn't of much help when they were trying to decide who won.

Thank you all for your replies. I have a better understanding now and I'll definately forward this info to my friends so that they can stop arguing. :D

Mark Giles

Second Unit

Sounds like they were tryin to pull a fast one on the other one..... I would go to play some games online for play money just to get better customed to the game.

Start with 5 card stud. Everything else is based off of that anyway.

Oh, and maybe the one with the 9 had a suited hand or something! Hahaha! Reminds me of the opening scenes of Ocean 11. All Red!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks