What's new

Testy Area 51 (5 Viewers)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I recorded the show and "chase played" it so I could skip uninteresting parts. I started doing that a year or two ago because 3.5+ hours is just too much.

I entered the local Oscar contest (top categories plus tie-breaker of cinematography) and got it perfect along with 36 other people. Did not win the random draw so try again next year.

I don't know why Frances McDormand was that rattled -- she has been the frontrunner the entire time and won everything else. Actually, same with the other 3 acting categories. I was happy for all the acting winners, though I didn't see "The Darkest Hour" or "I, Tonya" yet. (I've never seen this few of the nominees before.)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
"To those who say that we’re all a bunch of out-of-touch Hollywood elites, I’ll have you know that each of the 45 million Swarovski crystals on this stage tonight represents humility."
Jimmy Kimmel

Have to confess I liked Jimmy Kimmel as Oscar host. Is he well liked in the States, or hated? Who's the most popular chat show host currently?

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
"To those who say that we’re all a bunch of out-of-touch Hollywood elites, I’ll have you know that each of the 45 million Swarovski crystals on this stage tonight represents humility."
Jimmy Kimmel

Have to confess I liked Jimmy Kimmel as Oscar host. Is he well liked in the States, or hated? Who's the most popular chat show host currently?

He's very well liked by most of the country, there is a small-ish contingent of one particular political persuasion that aren't happy with his stances and outspoken nature on things like caring for the sick and impoverished. He won over many hearts with his impassioned plea to save health care for kids, like his son, who was very sick.

His ratings have improved considerably the past year or so, but it see-saws, with Colbert surging then leveling, Jimmy Fallon was doing great but then did a puff interview with a very divisive figure (I refuse to say his name), and he lost some of his momentum. James Cordon seems to be the most viral-video savvy of the bunch and that's kept him very relevant.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Thanks for the info Neil. There are quite a few chat show hosts over in the States, wasn't sure how popular they were with viewers, I see a lot of nasty comments at Deadline and Hollywood Reporter especially when the hosts criticize 'el supremo' on their show. I think one of them starred in a couple of movies, Jimmy Fallon?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
zardoz fggf.jpg

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'd pretty much agree with Neil's assessment of Kimmel; although I don't really know where he stands in terms of popularity regarding the general population. ( I suppose ratings might be representative of that to some degree.)

I like Kimmel quite a bit. He doesn't take himself too seriously which goes a long way for me with pop culture figures. It is somewhat ironic given the tone of this year's Oscars that Kimmel once co-hosted The Man Show, but that was some time ago and cultural mores do change. (I don't hold that against him as a form of criticism, it is just interesting to see how things change as society evolves.)

In terms of Award show presenters my favorite was probably Ricky Gervais at the The Golden Globes, but he probably wore out his welcome with his treatment of the audience. (I guess.)

- Walter.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Yes, Steve -- Jimmy Fallon starred in "Taxi", "Fever Pitch" and some other comedies. He's personally my favorite of the late night hosts as he's most entertaining -- he can sing and do impersonations. Liked him from his "Saturday Night Live" days.

I'm able to watch "The Graham Norton Show" on BBC America. Is he one of the top talk show hosts there? He manages to get big stars on his show and it's often very entertaining since they are all sitting together from the outset instead of one-on-ones.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Yes, Steve -- Jimmy Fallon starred in "Taxi", "Fever Pitch" and some other comedies. He's personally my favorite of the late night hosts as he's most entertaining -- he can sing and do impersonations. Liked him from his "Saturday Night Live" days.

I'm able to watch "The Graham Norton Show" on BBC America. Is he one of the top talk show hosts there? He manages to get big stars on his show and it's often very entertaining since they are all sitting together from the outset instead of one-on-ones.

Hello Elizabeth, Graham Norton is probably the top chat show host in the UK of recent years, we don't have that many, especially compared the US. I watch his show if there's a favorite actor on. He's a genial host and doesn't rub his guests the wrong way. hmmm come to think of it I don't have any favorites from the current music scene, I barely know their names and can't even tell them apart. :unsure:

Three t.png

My current video subject Charlotte Rampling, from the movie Three (1969).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Is Mike buried yet?

Reports are he gets 12" to 18" of snow tonight. That's 30 cm to 46 cm for you other guys.

We got that last week. now we're "enjoying" -24C mornings and -4C afternoon temperature swings. Another week and we should be killing each other in the streets.

modelactress-charlotte-rampling-sits-on-skidoo-snowmobile-wearing-a-picture-id507392318

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Spun Cat Ballou the other night. Fun movie! Liked it even more on this rewatch!

I think that Cat Ballou is a pretty good comedy. However, I thought it was quite ridiculous that, about 10 years ago, when the American Film Institute put together its 10 Top 10 defining the 10 Best American films in each of 10 film genres, AFI chose Cat Ballou as one of the 10 greatest westerns of all time.

IMO, such an absurd choice lowered AFI's credibility in presenting us with any kind of reasonable lists of great films. And if the departed really could roll over in their graves, certainly the selection of Cat Ballou as being one of the 10 greatest westerns was a development that would have been likely to inspire such movements by the late gentlemen John Ford, Howard Hawks, Sam Peckinpah, and Fred Zinnemann.
1f9dbf9a51be6eca6c0b0dcec6b4fcb0.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.