What's new

Testy Area 51 (4 Viewers)

Elijah

Supporting Actor
Oh the grub *shudders* Thanks for bringing that up :)
Well if the Grub is with Bale, then whats up with Connery!?!?
testblock.gif

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Russell G said:
Is he supposed to have a Bat-Boner? Shut, you all looked! :P
How can you not?!?
I saw Snow White this weekend. It was good -- I mostly enjoyed Charlize Theron's performance, though it veered toward over-the-top. I probably wouldn't have seen it if she wasn't in it as I dislike Kristen Stewart.
I saw that trailer for "The Great Gatsby" and it really didn't bear a resemblance to the Gatsby I know. I kept wondering who the hell is playing the Scott Wilson character because nobody seemed right for it. And it's in 3D?!??
I'll see Prometheus this weekend. Like the trailer for it, and that noise that starts up toward the end of the trailer is really unsettling. I don't see Guy Pearce in any trailers or ads I've seen for it, so it must be a small role a la The Hurt Locker, likely with the same fate.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Elizabeth, I think Guy Pearce plays the head of the company, Weyland-Yutani, which sends the Prometheus to the remote planet, the same company which ordered the android Ash to ensure the safe return of the alien organism, the crew expendable, in the first Alien movie.

I'm hoping to see Prometheus tomorrow, it opened last friday here in the UK and its opening weekend gross was double the no.2 film, Snow White and the Huntsman.

10c0b090_Charlize-Theron-in-Prometheus.jpeg

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
On my other forum, they think Madagascar 3 will be #1 over Prometheus. Likely.
It might be stupid, but I want to see this.
b2bf97e9_ted-mark-wahlberg.jpeg

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Okay, I saw Prometheus. A week ago I knew very little about the film now I know everything about it, go on ask me any question. Wanna know who lives or who dies? Is it connected to the Alien series? No I won't spoil it.

All right I will say it is very much a prequel and a bit of a remake too. I was a little disappointed in it. Expectations, hype, Ridley Scott and all that.

Glad I saw it in 2D, if I was wearing the 3D sunglasses the film would be very dark indeed.

I have a feeling I'll enjoy it more the second time I see it, on blu-ray.

The idiot projectionist forgot to expand the image for widescreen, so for the first 5 minutes the image was squeezed. Asshole.

Is it as good as Alien? No. As frightening as Alien? No. Better special effects? Of course.

I'll give it 4 out out of 5 and I'm being generous.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'll give it 4 out out of 5 and I'm being generous.
Blimey! (Is that the correct phrase? :) ) Guess I'd better keep my expectations in check. I may not get to catch the film for roughly a week. I think a good friend of mine will see it with his son this Friday, so I'm curious to hear his reaction. I enjoyed Event Horizon largely on the strength of its production design; so I'm sure that I'll be just fine with this film.
Steve - staying spoiler free - How were the performances of the actors? Any that stood out either positively or negatively?
On another topic - Russell re: your comments in the AOV review thread - in complete agreement.
- Walter.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Walter, the performances were generally good. The two standouts are Michael Fassbender who has an unusual role in the film, and Noomi Rapace who is the nearest we get to a Ripley in this film. She does a lot of running about in her underwear at one point, and the film's one noteworthy squirmy nasty scene involves Noomi and an 'unexpected pregnancy'. Ooh did I say too much? Well I dont want you thinking the film is harmless.

Some of the crew may as well have the words "dead meat" written on their shirts.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Walter Kittel /t/81187/testy-area-51/28320#post_3935834
On another topic - Russell re: your comments in the AOV review thread - in complete agreement.
- Walter.
ha ha, thanks Walter. It's a fine line discussing that stuff on here! :P

I find it hard that the director of Matchstick Men, Robin Hood, Kingdom Of Heaven and A Good Year has not made a deffinative masterpiece of a film with Prometheus! I'm being mean of course. None of those are bad film, they're all simply good. I'm okay with Prometheus being good. I've heard there's some pretty big plot holes, I'm guessing those will get filled with the extended Blu-Ray that I'm sure will come out since Scott has already talked about having to cut this for the current rating it has. I'm tempted to wait, but it should be pretty to watch so I'll try to catch it in 2D at some point in the following weeks.

Liz, I'm in for Ted. Looks fun.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
The set design of the Prometheus, the computer displays, space suits all look fantastic and a lot more advanced than what we saw in the previous Alien films and this is set what 100 years before? But I don't blame Scott for wanting his film to look great and state of the art. The inside of the alien ship is similar to the look of the derelict ship in the first Alien film with a few changes. You can hear snatches of Jerry Goldsmith's Alien score at the beginning of the film and I could swear some of the alien artwork looks suspiciously like H.R. Giger's paintings. I'm sure I'll enjoy the film a lot more on blu-ray with all the expectations and suspence out of the way.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The set design of the Prometheus, the computer displays, space suits all look fantastic and a lot more advanced than what we saw in the previous Alien films and this is set what 100 years before?
Funny you should mention that. I was discussing that point with a friend at work when we were debating the influence of the Mass Effect franchise on the film.
- Walter.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Oh, they're gonna put me in the movies
Yeah, and make a big star out of me
You know, I'm gonna be a big star
And all I gotta do is, act naturally

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Saw Prometheus today (for free, using the code that came with "Fight Club"). I had glanced at some reviews which were very disappointed in the film so I tried to keep expectations in check. I like the "Alien" series, but it's been ages since I've seen them. That being said, and letting the film stand on its own, I thought it was good, mainly for the visuals and Michael Fassbender. Not a rave, but I enjoyed it. Oddly, though there was a sizable audience, they acted like they were at a Merchant Ivory film. Not a good sign, I think.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I did my duty as a Canadian this week and saw Cosmopolis instead of Promethius . It's a David Cronenberg film and they wont renew your passports unless you see at least one Canadian directors film per year in the theater. It's a real police state up here in the Great White North! Anyways this was not a good movie. If you enjoy two hours in a limo while a guy goes to get a hair cut, it's the greatest film ever made. For me though, the social commentary was too oblique and the film didn't make a whole lot of sense. It's a shame since great actors like Paul Giammati and Juliette Binoche are in it and are great as always. 2/5

Ides Of March - Watched the blu, really enjoyed it. A smart little political thriller that's a bit by the numbers but still enjoyable. Another great cast. 3.5/5

J. Edgar - Watched the Blu of this as well. Not the terrible bore fest it was rumoured to be. It's a bit uncomfortable in it's sympathetic portrayal of a scum bag but it was still decent enough. The heavy old man make up is mostly passable, that I mention it should point that it is at sometime ridiculous. Anyways, not a bad one from old Eastwood. 3.5/5.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Nobody beats Chaplin for ridiculous old-man makeup. Twelve-year-old Robert Downey Junior playing nine-hundred-year-old Charlie!

Also, I am going to be appearing in a film directed by a Canadian later this year, although I don't know if you'll be able to see it in a theatre. It was originally supposed to be a TV project, but the producers think it's good enough that they're trying for wider distribution.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by ChristopherDAC /t/81187/testy-area-51/28320#post_3937394

Also, I am going to be appearing in a film directed by a Canadian later this year, although I don't know if you'll be able to see it in a theatre. It was originally supposed to be a TV project, but the producers think it's good enough that they're trying for wider distribution.
Be careful the Canadian doesn't steal your breath while you sleep!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've watched a couple of those Twilight Time Blu-rays recently: Pal Joey and Picnic. I guess that makes it sort of a mini Kim Novak film festival.

I was familiar with Pal Joey--having seen it a couple of times on DVD. But I had never seen Picnic before. Awesome cinematography and some great performances from Bill Holden and Cliff Robertson. Great supporting cast, too. I had always wanted to see the film as Inge's play had won the Pulitzer and I had heard so much about it. I can see where it must have been quite scandalous at the time. I think Holden had his shirt off more than it was on!

I like the Twlight Time model (comparable to the Criterion philosophy). Here's the film. No junk beforehand. Right to the menu.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/81187/testy-area-51/28320#post_3937402
I like the Twlight Time model (comparable to the Criterion philosophy). Here's the film. No junk beforehand. Right to the menu.

I prefer the Criterion philosophy. Straight to the menu, film plays with no ads. Reference quality, a shit ton of extras (or bonus films!) and I can pick it up at a store on sale instead of importing for a gazillion dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.