What's new

Testy Area 51 (4 Viewers)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Oh! I saw Immortals! In 3D! You all know how 3D works for me so I have no idea if it's effective or not. I have a very vague understanding of Greek mythology, so I kept having nerd moments where I was going "But doesn't Athena fight Poseidon and then Athens is named after her?" moments since none of that stuff is in the movie. Which is annoying since it's actually pretty decent. Mickey Rourke is doing a Col. Kurtz which is entertaining and the action is very well done. The Gods fight like the the way the Superman movies should. And it's very pretty though a 300 sausage fest of tasty man abs to rest your head on. What? I think I saw the R rated version, there was some head exploding. I give it 3/5, I'll buy it on Blu too.

Also watched The 400 Blows. Not sure what the big deal is. There's art films that are more interesting but the critics love to write about this one. I'm guessing because it was made by a former critic. I'll take Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls. 2.5/5

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Russell G /t/81187/testy-area-51/27960#post_3870295

Also watched The 400 Blows. Not sure what the big deal is. There's art films that are more interesting but the critics love to write about this one. I'm guessing because it was made by a former critic.

I'll take Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls. 2.5/5
And Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, of course, has a rather famous critic as its screenwriter!

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Originally Posted by Steve Christou /t/81187/testy-area-51/27960#post_3870269
Why is Spielberg wasting his talents on a cartoon?
Spielberg has been involved with some very good cartoons in the past. Animaniacs, for example.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Talking of animation - my latest Blu-rays are Kung Fu Panda 1 & 2 and The Lion King

Activision has announced that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 has set a five-day worldwide sell-through record, with sales of more than $775m (£490m). The title had already smashed the one-day records, earning $400m in its first 24 hours on sale in the US and UK. The five-day figure beats the $650m earned by Call of Duty: Black Ops over its opening week last year.
The number also far exceeds the opening revenues from any movie or album release in 2011 – the biggest film of the year, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, made $202m in its first five days. It is likely that Modern Warfare 3 will join the select group of £1bn-grossing entertainment properties by Christmas.

Top five highest grossing video games over five days
1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 ($775m)
2. Call of Duty: Black Ops ($650m)
3. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 ($550m)
4. Grand Theft Auto IV ($500m)
5. Halo 3 ($300m, seven days)
(Figures: various sources)

Top five highest grossing movies over five days
1. The Dark Knight ($203m)
2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2($202m)
3. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen ($200m)
4. Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith ($172m)
5. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest ($169m)
(Figures: Box Office Mojo)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
977b15ca_empire-tdkr-covers.jpeg

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Speaking of vid games, I've been largely absent playing the new elder Scrolls game. It's the devil.

Currently being tempted by amazon to buy that 35 film set of Clint Eastwood films. 35 movies for $65. Even though some would be dupes, it's a hell of a deal. but they're on flipper discs. DAMN! I'm TORN! Stupid hobby!

I watched Transformers The Dark Side Of The Moon... AND DID NOT HATE IT! That is some seriously big news. I didn't love it, but it was decent enough. It did not cause me to thrash around with my teeth gnashing like the previous two did. The Megan fox replacement has a weird look to her and could of used a few hamburgers. Douche LeBouf was terrible of course. No more can Steef call me a snoot! I'd give it 3/5. I also watched Furious Five. It's not so good. I'm pretty sure Paul Walker and Vin Diesel are going to fuck in the 6th one, it's coming folks, it's going to happen. 2/5

Also watched the Criterion blu of Blow Out and loved it. Can't believe I managed to miss it all these years. Easilly the best Travolta has ever been in a movie and DePalma would of made Hitchcock proud. Great stuff. 4/5

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Russ you liked Transformers 3, there is hope for you after all!

Blow Out was good, whatever happened to Brian de Palma? He showed promise in those old movies. A bit like John Carpenter really, and Joe Dante.

I've gone off Clint Eastwood, the past 10 years he's been making movies especially geared for the Oscar luvvies.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Eastwoods early stuff is good though. I've done the math. I can add two additional boxsets to that 35 film one for a total price of $89.30 for 42 films. if I take into account the 10 films that would be a double dip, it works out to 32 films, and price of $2.79 per film. That's a pretty good deal to get a lot of his good stuff over his not as great later stuff.

I'm so torn!

De Palma got terrible didn't he. Femme Fatale was just awful. Redacted was good though, maybe he's on the upswing again?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Has anyone seen the new Clooney film yet (Elizabeth, I'm looking at you!), The Descendants? That might be on tap for this weekend.

If not, Muppets it is!

d07f7d7c_amy-adams.jpeg

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Mike, we all know you're off to Twilight, no need to pretend. :P

e2bfa69b_twilight-saga-breaking-dawn.jpeg

Her smile is worse then her usual grimace. Yeash!

56b4e832_tumblr_lqrq3tkqP81r11eljo1_500.jpeg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Russell G /t/81187/testy-area-51/27960#post_3873494
Mike, we all know you're off to Twilight, no need to pretend. :P

That's funny, I was catching up on some newspapers this morning and there were all sorts of ads and stories about the newest Twilight film (I can't hear enough Breaking Wind jokes).

So, I sez to my wife, "I wonder if there's any chance that any of these movies are actually any good? You know--watchable even?" She says, without even skipping a beat, "Nah!"

So, I retort, 'Wait. I mean, you know, I know they're not geared toward us or anything...but they might still be well-made and watchable. It could happen. I'm not interested either...at all. But, I just wonder."

"Naaaaaah. if we went to see them, we'd probably just end up laughing throughout the entire film."

And thus ended that conversation. And, she's probably 100% correct.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Story wise you could do worse, not that they're great. What always strikes me in watching them is how shit they are technically. The effects, the acting, just really piss poor and cheap. And don;t get me started on the terrible werewolves. :P

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
The company that produces the Twilight films won the jackpot, unlike the Harry Potter films they don't even have to try to make them into quality films, they still make tons of dosh. zillions of young girls couldn't care less as long as they see their idols on the screen acting out the story.

Took a gamble and went and saw Immortals last night, enjoyed it. Not as good as 300 but an interesting slice of comic book fantasy with the Gods themselves furiously crashing down to Earth to take part in the action and pulverise a lot of heads. Blood and brain splattering in every direction and in slow motion. I saw it in 3-D, this guy Tarsem, the director, really has an eye for visuals and composition. Storywise its a bit crap and the acting is iffy but the action sequences are eyeopeners. Henry Cavill as the hero Theseus fits the part well and I could see him as Superman now. Mickey Rourke chews the scenery and spits it out as the villainous King Hyperion. 3 arrows out of 5.

413a0b89_immortalscavill.jpeg

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Mickey Rourke does a pretty good Marlon Brando in that Immortals eh Steve? some of those shots where he's muttering on to that dude while eating peaches, right out of Col. Kurtz's book on acting ha ha. I didn't realize that Theseus was the guy who would be superman. Not sure I see him in that roll like you did. Was darned well done though when the gods came down. BOOOM!

Most of the movies I want to see are out on Dec 21st. Lame.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
What are you looking forward to Russ. I know Sherlock Holmes is coming out anything else? I enjoyed the trailer to Underworld 4 in 3D at the cinema, looks good.

One thing about the 3D in Immortals, it was good and there was plenty of depth but it was oh so dark. I took the glasses off a few times to see the difference and I started to envy the people who watched it in 2D. There must be a way to make 3D glasses lighter, the film was dark enough in places without making it even gloomier!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I thought Holmes was on the 21st, but it looks like it's out the week before. So the 21st is that new Mission Impossible and Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

And Tintin, but that's a skip for me, looks too creepy.Underworld not out until the new year. I have no recollection of what those movies are other then Vamps Vs. Wolfs, but I'll go to it.

Hugo is out next week I think. It's Scorsese so I'll see it, not all that excited for it. I might skip it if a non-3D version isn't playing. I agree with you on Immortals, way too dark with those furshlugginger glasses on. No 2D showings locally though, so we had no choice. BASTARDS!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Let us know what you think of Hugo, it must be good it's Scorsese! Forgot about Mission Impossible 4 I might see that as well, the trailer made it look good... but thats what trailers do. :)

Movieline.com were making fun of Arnolds commentary on Total Recall. thhppt I think Arnold is wonderful at DVD commentating here's a sample -

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Arnold is gold on commentaries. They're as good a reason as any to buy those DVDs ha ha. They're super old too, I wonder what brought them up?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.