What's new

Tempest (1 Viewer)

Nathan J

Stunt Coordinator
I am building a 8 cubic ft box tuned to 21hz with two 4" diameter ports for a tempest, and I have a 250 watt plate amp that I got from Parts Express. I am planning on making it into an end-table....I made the box out of MDF, and I am going to cover the sides with some nice hardwood that my brother got out of his woods and had milled for flooring. I was thinking that I would stain it dark......probably something like Mahogany.

As for the top of the box........awhile ago, I had bought two lamp stands....the bases are that mahogany color that I am trying to match, but the tops of them are a grey-white swirl marble.............so anyway, I went to Home Depot, and I found marble that matches the tops of the lamp stands, so I am going to use that as the top of the subwoofer.....they are 12" squares, and I got 4 of them, so the top of the box is basically going to be 24" x 24".

My Question is, what is the best way to secure the marble to the MDF, and what should I use for grout inbetween the marble tiles?

Do you guys use Polyfill in your boxes? If so, how much?

I was planning on making 3" or 4" legs....does it matter which I use?

Ummmm...any other tips you guys can think of let me know.

I appreaciate it.

-Nate

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
You should use an adhesive that remains flexible. Silicone would work, and if you want white grout lines, there also. There are other water based products as well. Polyseamseal is a good one and comes in several colors as well.

3" legs are fine. Line the walls with batting or foam. No real need for loose polyfill.

Pete

Nathan J

Stunt Coordinator
OK, Thanks.

Anyone else? Any tips on the staining of the wood? I plan to polyurethane it a clear gloss after I am done staining.
I already bought a small container of Minwax stain to try on a scrap board, but I think it is going to match up pretty good.

Nathan J

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, I also heard that with the Tempest, you should have it at least 4" off the ground if you are downfiring the woofer, (which I am)......anyone else have an opinion on this?

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i would atach the marble with a marble suted thinset just make sure the top is braced good so you dont get flexing. i installed granet tile conter top and all you need is a good bond. the marble is actuley toughre than the mdfb. if you want more strenth you can get this spical bord they sell for tile counter tops. atach that to the top then the marble.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks