What's new

Tell me about Costco and their Blu-ray selection and prices (1 Viewer)

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
No Costco's near me, but we do have Sam's and BJ's. The Blu-ray selection at both is getting grim. I have n e v e r seen Criterion titles at either. I also have never bought any Criterion titles in-store except for one sale occasion at B&N. Borders once had some Criterions at above SRP! B&N has lots of Criterion titles, but they are SRP in-store, except for the sales, and they are quite a distance away. So CC are online only for me, but I'm in a less populated area.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well....I guess you can say this about Costco...

They are consistent across the board.

I'm going to be in Canada at the end of next month. Will be very interested to see what their store selection looks like. Last year they had tons of 3D titles. You don't see that here in the United States.

rbaurer

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick
Do you know about the Barnes & Noble Criterion sales that happens every July and November? Both of those months Barnes & Noble has all Criterion Discs, including box sets, at 50% off. You can shop online if their isn't a store near you.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Do you know about the Barnes & Noble Criterion sales that happens every July and November? Both of those months Barnes & Noble has all Criterion Discs, including box sets, at 50% off. You can shop online if their isn't a store near you.

Rick,

Welcome to our forum. Very happy to have you here and I do appreciate your help.

Yes, very much aware of the B&N sale on Criterion discs.

What turns me off about the whole process of dealing with B&N during these sales is that you have to pay for a membership to take advantage of the sale. Outside of the B&N offerings I never shop at the store.

rbaurer

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick
You don't need to be a a memeber or pay for any membership at Barnes & Noble to get the Criterion sale. Non-members get 50% as i mentioned. If you are a member, which costs $25 for a year and is worht it if you buy a lot of Criterion discs during these sales, you get an extra 10% off the 50% and they also e-mail you coupons often for an extra 20 - 30% off any one item. Those work really well for box sets. For example, you would get 50% then an additional 10% of for being a member and then apply the coupon for an additional 20 - 30% off. A box set that has a regular Criterion price of $100 would end up being from $31.50 to $36, depending on the discount of the coupon.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Rick,

I would consider paying the $25 for those perks.

I do have an important question to ask...

Their Criterion sales are HUGE. How quickly to titles sell out? I would hate to pay the yearly fee only to be beaten out on titles that everyone else is vying for.

rbaurer

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick
It depends on the size of the store and if they have a big DVD/Blu ray department. Some Barnes & Noble stores don't focus on movies much. If it's a store that has a big movie section, then from my experience there has not been much of a problem of a title being out of stock. You can also request a store to order a title they do not have in stock and if you do so at the beginning of the sale it will likely arrive before the sale ends since it lasts for a month. Shopping online would likely eliminate any worries about this, however. Note that buying online you don't get the extra 10% member discount but do get free shipping and can use the e-mail coupons.

Also, if you are a new member to the B&N membership, they give you a welcome packet with some coupons you can use as well.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
What RB said.
The 50% is off msrp but with the sale, the membership and coupons I buy CC movies that list at $40 msrp for about $15.
Worth the perceived trouble and the $25 pays for itself.
Especially if you buy these at each of the sales.

You can also check for store inventory and reserve movies for pickup

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Rick,

This would all be online. So I am more concerned about online stock. It seems like I might be okay buying online though I'll only get free shipping which is fine.

I don't go to stores...period.

Thanks for all your help

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ron,

I buy just about all of my Criterion titles from Barnes & Noble. I haven't been in one of their stores forever so my orders are of the on-line variety.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just upgraded to the $25 Premium membership at Barnes & Noble. I am sure the savings I get will pay for it in the long-haul.

Thanks for providing the confidence to do this, guys!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
they also e-mail you coupons often

This must be a YMMV kind of thing. I signed up a few months ago for membership, got the initial "welcome" email with a couple coupons, and have NOT received any other offers since.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks