What's new

Telemarketers leaving messages?? WTF?! (1 Viewer)

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
I work in telecom network maintenence, and would like to clear up a few things. Excuse me for not saying your names. I had to go into my school books again to find some of these answers...
It's not illegal to blow high pitched whistles into the phone. It wouldn't do anything to the person on the other end anyhow. Phone networks have a narrow bandwidth of 4khz, 300hz-3.4khz. High pitched noises get clipped off. As a reference, the human ear can detect sounds up to 20khz, or 20,000hz. Also, phone networks use a constant volume, so the whistle would only be as loud as your voice.
Pay per minute Telemarketing agencies don't pay by the minute. They buy a service called WATTS. It's a bulk rate plan, as opposed to a call by call basis. So staying on the phone doesn't waste any of their money, just your time.
The Telezapper is an expensive contraption that can be easily defeated by up-coming, soon to be installed phone equipment that overrides the detection device, and prevents the "zap". TMs are still one step ahead of you. Don't waste your money.
You must choose a long distance carrier. If you don't, and need to make an LD call, then any opportunistic company can charge you for the call, at rates usually above $1 a minute. Get with a reputable carrier, choose a free LD discount plan (they all have them), and you know what you'll pay when you have to. Use pre-paid cards if you have to. Never call on a pay phone without specifying an LD carrier that you know. There are carriers out there with names like...I don't care, whatever, it doesn't matter, Who cares, I don't know, etc. that will charge you 3-6 times as much as MCI, AT&T, Sprint, etc. and the operator will connect your call with the "I don't care" phone company.
Jeff, if you sell service to businesses, then I would like to thank you for selling your clients services which haven't been invented or installed yet!;)

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Trace,
Sorry, I guess my mind hasn't awaken yet, but ... huh?

We did not sell services per se (long distance, windows, vacums, etc). The comany I used to work for did charities.

Also, shouting or blowing a whistle or something like that isn't going to shatter a tm's eardrums. We (and I think they all do) had our headsets pluged into an amp. With it we could adjust the sensitivity of the mic. and adjust the level that we heard the people. So, if someone was shouting, just turn them a little lower and go on.

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
Jeff, it's just that I've been in the position of having to report to the account execs that some service they promised a client isn't available, not installed, or even out of the testing stages. The client is usually pissed beyond belief, and who can blame them? If the salesmen out there would just try and sell things honestly, and stop blaming us techs for not delivering on a promise that is impossible to keep.:)
It's good you're not one of those guys.:laugh:

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
I don't know anything about all of that mess, it was just a way to pay the bills in a college town that wouldn't pay above min. wage.;)
Man, there sure are some loonies out there...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks