Telemarketers leaving messages?? WTF?!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey Noel, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

My sister just got two today! When did they start leaving messages on answering machines? Can they get any more obnoxious?! [​IMG]

2. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

whats even worse is when a computer calls and leaves a message! I just delete them.

3. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I also delete mine. Telemarketing should be outlawed, IMO.

EDIT: Apologies to anyone that was offended by my previous comment about telemarketers. It was very inappropriate.

4. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Have fun with them! That is what I do!
    IE
    You sound really hot!
    I'm not interested in (product) but I'd like a Pepperoni hand tossed pizza!
    Um the voices tell me to ask where you live.
    Yes I want that! Can you call me back at the first of the month when my welfare check gets here?
    Telemarketer[​IMG]Price)
    You: Lets see (Price) that is about (X amount) of crack rocks, can you get me a better deal?

5. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Please leave a message at the tone. beeeeeeeppppp...
    "Yes, hello Mr. Williamson, this is xxx calling from xxx, sorry I missed you but i'll call you back at the most inconveniant time, irritate you and try to sell you something you don't want or need at a later time. Thank you, have a nice day."
    [​IMG]

6. MikeAlletto

I'm thinking of changing my answering machine message to include at the end stating that if you are calling to sell me anything at all that this is my notice to you to remove me from your list.

Legally they have to if you tell them to. Do you think this is good enough? I get about 4 calls a day on my caller id. One about every 3 hours during the day from an out of area caller. Obviously trying to sell me something. They never leave a message either. One of these days I'm going to be home in the afternoon and I'm going to pick up the phone and yell at them.

What gets me really pissed is when someone calls at like 9 or 9:30 or even 10am on a saturday or sunday. Waking me up...ohhhhh...that's the worst.

Telemarketing should be illegal. If I want to buy something I'll seek it out myself. Because of telemarketers I automatically write the company off the list of possible products to buy or charities to donate to. If I want to donate, I will. The reason I don't is because I don't want to, and you people cold-calling me isn't going to change my mind.

I had some jehovas witness call me one evening saying they were calling around to read scripture. I just about busted up laughing on the phone. Almost said "so I guess the door to door gig ain't workin' for ya anymore?"

7. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    You guys want to hear something hysterical!? [​IMG] Seek out these comedy cd's called Revenge on the Telemarketers Volumes 1 & 2! [​IMG] It's this guy named Tom Mabe, and what he does is whenever he gets a call from a telemarketer he basically comes up with new ways to screw with their head!
    One of my favorites goes...
    Riiiinnnngggg...
    Tom...
    "Hello"
    Telemarketer...
    "Yes hello Mr. Mabe this is xxx from xxx carpet cleaning service and were offering a special this month..."
    Tom(excited and anxious)...
    "Oh thank God! Let me ask you a question, can you guys get blood out of carpet!?"
    Telemarketer(pauses)...
    "Uh, well, we can remove all sorts of stains..."
    Tom...
    "Man i'm tellin ya I got blood everywhere man! It's on the walls, it's on the furniture, I don't know what to do! How fast can you get over here? Ya gotta help me out here man!"
    Telemarketer(confused but still trying to sell)...
    "Well, we can set up an appointment and have one of our represenatives come out to your residence and..."
    Tom...
    "NO! Listen, what's your name?"
    Telemarketer...
    "Dave xxx."
    Tom...
    "Listen Dave, YOU gotta come! You can't tell anybody, you gotta help me out here man! Let me ask you a hypothetical question Dave, is it like, illegal to shoot someone you don't like if they're in your house"
    Telemarketer...
    "Listen Mr. Mabe, I don't know if we can help you today. You have a good day sir."
    CLICK
    This is just one of many, and they're funnier than all hell! [​IMG] Check em out.

8. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

"Dateline" ealier this week had a segment on telemarketers that was pretty amazing. One TM "went off" on some guy who asked for the name of the company:

"What the f*** you wannt know that for?"

You are required by law to answer this question.

"I ain't gotta do a m****f****ing thing except live and die."

I wonder if they made the sale??

Thank God, here in Georgia we actually have a TM list law, and it actually works. It cost me $5 for 2 years, and it has eliminated 99% of my annoyance calls.

Now at work, that's another story. The TM act only applies to residences, so anything goes here. I had one TM get very rude when I asked her not to call here again, and then she hung up. I traced her company number and gave her supervisor? an ass chewing in return.
    Junk faxes??? Also against the law here in GA, but I get several a day. I have heard of people filing lawsuits over these hoping to cash in.

9. MikeAlletto

10. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I used to be polite and just give a firm "No" but because of the dramatically increased volume of calls I simply hang up.

I get about 5-7 a week anyone else keep track?

11. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

I can't stand these people.
    I had one guy call me from a long distance company. I said I wasn't interested, and please remove me from your list. He said (in a voice that sounded like he was mentally challenged), "ohhh kay, I call back later." I said, "No, don't call back later. I'm not interested. Please just remove me from your list." .. "Ohhh kay, I call back later."
    Now I'm wondering why they hire people like this to make phone calls. So I tried to phrase it as best as I could: "Please don't call back later, ok? Don't call here again."
    He then says, in a perfectly normal manner of speaking, "OK, I'll have someone call you back tomorrow." Then he laughed and hung up. Bastard.
    We also once had a computer calling us 3+ times per day claiming to be a psychic with "important news" and we should call it back at some 900 number "immediately." Same damn recorded message every time. This went on for weeks. I called my phone company (I thought using a computer to harass people like this was illegal) and they wouldn't help me at all. Basically said I'd just have to put up with it. What total bullshit. Thankfully, we moved shortly after that and our phone number changed, but I shouldn't have to change my number to make people leave me alone.
    Now I've got an unlisted number in hopes of keeping these people away from me (and I don't give it out to people who don't absolutely need it), but I get them anyway. And the damn phone company charges me $3 - $5 a month for the "privilege" of having an unlisted number. It's extortion. "We're going to give your name, address and phone number away to everyone if you don't pay us." I've got half a mind to hire a lawyer and sue their asses over this practice. I should be able to have a telephone without having my personal information published. I shouldn't have to buy a "non-published" service. I could understand a one time $10 fee or something for them to change their database, but the monthly fee is bullshit.

12. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I'm not 100% certain of this, but I believe (at least in my area) that the phone company sells lists of unpublished phone numbers to telemarketers. The fee for having an unpublished number just keeps me out of the book and directory assistance. It's worth it to me, since there are enough people to whom I do not wish to speak (the product of a misspent youth) but it still pisses me off in a big way.

13. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

The FCC has just OK'ed the Bells to sell your phone usage recordeds to "Affiliates". Just think about that one for a while!

You like Chinese, food, so you call the local mom+pop takeout. Big company wants to make more money, so they buy your phone records, find out you call mom+pop, and then hire a TM to call you:

"Hi, Mr/Mrs. Smith, we noticed you really like Chinese food. Have you ever though of ordering from Big Chow's? If you hold one moment we can connect you for your order."

Or how about some personals company calling you up:

"We see you only call three other residential numbers, have you ever though of meeting the perfect someone? For a fee of xx we can get you laid tomorrow!"

I wonder how long it is before Canada gets the same shafting.

14. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

I cant stand them. I was actually on a first date with a girl we where in barnes and nobel. These two guys where talking one of them said he was a telemarketing manager. I wanted to get up and go tell him off but did not want my date to think im crazy. I usually just say no and if they presest then hang up. I live with my parents now, so they use the main phone. But when I move out im just going to get the basic service, no long distance, no extra services. Put one phone in the house on it and turn the ringer off. If its the doctor or the dentist or the bank or anything like that they will leave a message. Anybody else who I deem is worth talking to can call my cell phone.

15. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

So how long before telemarketers start calling cell phones... Considering we pay by the minute this would be very inappropriate, but I fear it may happen someday. Already I get dumb ads sent to my phone.

16. ollie_k

ollie_k Stunt Coordinator

i think calling cell phones is illegal already, because it costs the owner of the cell phone minutes.
    I hate those telemarketing bastards, somehow we ended up on a police/fire charity list, now we get bombarded weekly to these types of calls [​IMG]
    I love messing with them though...
    try this sometime
    Telemoron:"Hi, is xxx at home?"
    Me: " Oh my gawd!!! How could you mention that name?!!! (go into hysterics) "He just died last week! OOOOOO WAHHHHHHH!"
    Telemoron:"Uhhh, ahhh, OK, I'll call back at a later time"
    I used that once, that was fun

17. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    I had to change my cell phone number almost 2 years ago because of this. I was getting almost as many TM calls on my cell phone per day as I was on my home phone. (About 5 -6 calls per day, even on weekends.) [​IMG]

18. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

If you give out your cell phone number then you're going to get telemarketers.

I don't think it's illegal for telemarketers to call cell phones. I don't think they have a way of knowing whether any given number is a cell phone.

19. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

20. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter