What's new
World Wide Stereo

TCL 55R617 Receiver Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks but I already have a place for it I just need to raise it up higher so my center speaker can be in front of the TV. The supplied stands are too low and the center speaker obscures the screen.

Does this look like a good idea?
VIVO Universal LCD Flat Screen TV Table Top Stand / Base Mount fits 27" to 55" T.V.
by VIVO Link: http://a.co/6kvlo2y

I would just be concerned about this bullet point:

"NO TIP - Purchase includes STAND-SK01, VIVO’s anti-tipping cables that attach to wall or table"

How do the anti-tipping cables attach to your table, and how will that look?

Demonyx

Agent
Real Name
Joe
Ok, got the new gear and am trying to set things up today. Limited success and could use some help here. I have the Denon receiver as the hub. I have one HDMI cable from the Denon going to the TV and all devices going into the Denon not the TV. Video looks fantastic from the Sony, through the Denon, then to the TCL TV.

Q1: In general, the audio is less than I had hoped. It sounds thin, not as good as with my 15+ old pioneer receiver, although when I crank the volume 60+ it has some richness and power but when I do that there is some background hiss. Any suggestions to fine tune the audio? (the lip-sync issues I was having before are gone.)(surround sound is working)(did use the Audyssey and Dynamic EQ setting is on)

Q2: The Denon has one HDMI ARC out. I have a HDMI cable from that HDMI ARC out into the TVs HDMI 1 which is not an ARC port. Should I be plugging that into HDMI 3 which does have ARC? Do I need to change any settings if I keep it in HDMI 1 or will that work just fine? Can HDMI ARC out work with an regular HDMI in?

Q3: I cannot get the Roku Streaming Stick+ to work through the Denon receiver. It works fine when plunged directly into the TCL TV but no matter the port or the input channel all I get is a black screen when I go through the Denon receiver. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Demonyx

Devices
TCL 65R617 55" 4K Smart LED TV (2018)
Denon AVRS730H 7.2 Channel AV Receiver
Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Roku Streaming Stick+

Speakers (7.1)
2 Floor Standing Mirage Speakers
1 Center Speaker Mirage
2 Surround Speakers Mirage
2 Surround Back Klipsch Speakers
1 Sub Woofer Mirage (22000hz~10hz)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Q1: what are your crossover settings/bass management with your subwoofer? Tweaking this setting can go a long way to restoring lost timbre. Play with the dialed in settings from Audyssey and Dynamic EQ, since they're not foolproof.
Q2 &Q3: I'm going to answer both of these at once so pay close attention. By all means use ARC with your setup, because of the peculiarities of your Roku Streaming Stick+. I suspect it's a similar problem to what I had with my PS3 and an HDMI switch. The PS3 simply would not output through the switch. Here's what you do: run the ARC out from your Denon receiver to HDMI 3 on your TV. Plug the Roku into ANY remaining input on the TV. The way ARC works is that when your TV sources have audio, switching to these sources will trigger ARC so the audio comes through your receiver.

Demonyx

Agent
Real Name
Joe
Thanks! Ok, solved Q2 & Q3. But still need to fine tune the sound. Changed some input/output settings and have everything going from the Denon through HDMI 3 (ARC) to the TV. All visuals look great. Still needs work on the audio.

Q1: what are your crossover settings/bass management with your subwoofer? Tweaking this setting can go a long way to restoring lost timbre. Play with the dialed in settings from Audyssey and Dynamic EQ, since they're not foolproof.​
Not sure how do I tell? I have turned off dynamic EQ and turned on dynamic volume light setting. This has brought up the lows and toned done the highs. But it still sounds a bit tin-ey and thin.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Go into things like your eq settings et al. I have my subwoofer level set quite high, because my room swallows bass. It also helps to look at your low-mids, as this is where a lot the "warmth" of your audio comes from.

Demonyx

Agent
Real Name
Joe
New setup is fantastic. I have everything going through the receiver, including my 4k Roku. I did some fine tuning with EQ and sound modes and everything sounds great. Thank you everyone for your advice and support. I applaud you all. This forum is a fantastic resource.

Cheers,
Demonyx

Demonyx

Agent
Real Name
Joe
Ok, I thought everything was running like a champ. And most of my setup is working perfectly for my needs. However, I am starting to have problems with the Blu-ray player freezing, this is happening on about 3/4 of the Blu-ray discs but not all of them and never happens with DVDs. All Roku streaming is flawless.

Devices
TCL 65R617 55" 4K Smart LED TV (2018)
Denon AVRS730H 7.2 Channel AV Receiver
Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Roku Streaming Stick+

Connections
Blu-ray & Roku Stick directly into AV Receiver. Then AV Receiver into TV via a single HDMI ARC connection.

Q: Any suggestions?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Have you updated the firmware on the Sony X800?

I own the same player, and used to get the occasional freeze when playing a UHD disc, but have never experienced a freeze when playing a Blu-ray or DVD. I turned off most of the network features in the X800, and have not experienced a freeze since. The theory is that there's some obscure bug that causes the player to freeze if there is some network activity happening in the background during disc playback.

Demonyx

Agent
Real Name
Joe
(1) Have not updated manually, unless it automatically does so on first setup, just got it within a month or so thought I wouldn't need to. Will try that.

(2) How do I turn off network features?

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
(1) Have not updated manually, unless it automatically does so on first setup, just got it within a month or so thought I wouldn't need to. Will try that.

(2) How do I turn off network features?

Thanks,
Joe
I would check for a firmware update, even though you just got the player recently. There is no telling when the machine was actually made -- it could have been sitting on a shelf for many months.

I turned off the following network features, all under the Setup menu:
  • Under Network Settings, turned OFF Auto Home Network Access
  • Under Network Settings, turned OFF Remote Start
  • Under System Settings, turned OFF Software Update Notification (you can always check manually)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks