What's new

TCL 115” mini-LED announced (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Get the price under $10,000 and I’m seriously looking at direct view re-work of my theater in a couple years. I could probably tolerate dropping down from 120” for all the benefits. The real challenge are my LCR speakers.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Hmm... Interesting they decided to stick with 4K. Seems like TCL is going for a HTIB approach centered around the display. Announcements like this are one of the very few things that make me wish I were in my 30's instead of late 50's, as I do think we're on the forefront of some really exciting tech leaps.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My big question on these large displays is how to get it in one's home? As a wise person once said to me, "you can only fold a flat panel display once..."
Yeah. I’m not certain something like that could even be moved into my basement HT.

YANG

Screenwriter
add 17inch to 98inch diagonally...
6ba4fa5ec9d58bd8e85ff31314df78bb7bbc0c7c.png

...reference to the measurement on this 100inch HiSense domestic China model, the length/width could go 2.6m and the height could reach 1.5m, net weight comes to 100kg... depending on internal components configuration, aka, how many speakers installed.​

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hmm... Interesting they decided to stick with 4K. Seems like TCL is going for a HTIB approach centered around the display. Announcements like this are one of the very few things that make me wish I were in my 30's instead of late 50's, as I do think we're on the forefront of some really exciting tech leaps.
Well, there are many reasons I wish I were still in my 30’s 😂
My big question on these large displays is how to get it in one's home? As a wise person once said to me, "you can only fold a flat panel display once..."
Yep. I don’t actually know if I can maneuver a set this large down my basement stairs. But for now I’ll imagine I can. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I‘m looking forward to reviews. TCL is not a high-end brand and does not produce the highest quality sets. They’re budget-oriented like Vizio, last I was paying attention.

So will this really be good? Can it compete with even a $3000 UST let alone an Epson or JVC projector? Hope to hear more on it.

YANG

Screenwriter
from TCL's marketing graphics material...
additional_0.jpg

...the measurement of the unit @ the bottom...
321218a529bbd040c3f8a627c6a50165bfa530e3.png

first line shows the measurement of the main unit if wall mounted,
second line shows the measurement of the main unit if on supplied stand,
3rd line shows the measurement of the main unit if mounted on optional high stand,
the weight is on the furthest right column with respective mounting options.

...that is one real challenge to tackle on delivery, when package size is yet to be added in. it won't be going to be a 2 men job, when the height and weight is equivalent to a grown man.​

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I‘m looking forward to reviews. TCL is not a high-end brand and does not produce the highest quality sets. They’re budget-oriented like Vizio, last I was paying attention.

So will this really be good? Can it compete with even a $3000 UST let alone an Epson or JVC projector? Hope to hear more on it.
I wondered about that as well. You'd expect a product of this class to originate from Sony or maybe Samsung but not TCL.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
This is why I insisted on a custom double width sliding glass door into my walk down basement entry. I knew just getting furniture in via the standard door would be a hassle but I could get a horse in this one. :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I wondered about that as well. You'd expect a product of this class to originate from Sony or maybe Samsung but not TCL.
I really do think Chinese tech companies have pivoted from cheaper clones at all costs to actually building out their own innovative improvements. This really should be scaring the shit out of major tech players but so far it hasn’t bitten them.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I really do think Chinese tech companies have pivoted from cheaper clones at all costs to actually building out their own innovative improvements. This really should be scaring the shit out of major tech players but so far it hasn’t bitten them.
I've said it before and I'll say it again - TCL (and quite possibly even Hisense) may be the next LG or Samsung. Those two South Korean companies were once considered "bargain" or "budget" brands here in the US. Remember, LG used to be called Goldstar.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've said it before and I'll say it again - TCL (and quite possibly even Hisense) may be the next LG or Samsung. Those two South Korean companies were once considered "bargain" or "budget" brands here in the US. Remember, LG used to be called Goldstar.
Yet, a couple years ago Vizio seemed to be the one who was going to become a big deal, and for a little while they were. Now they seem to have declined. A lot of electronics companies have been shaky. Even established ones like Pioneer and Onkyo, and the latest batch of Anthem receivers and processors are less than stellar.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
My friend was saying the same thing a few weeks ago. He said his cheap TCL has outlived his Sony, and Samsung that were all problematic in the first few years and needed some sort of service. His TCL that he was a fraction of the cost of the other two has outperformed both, and solid with zero issues

YANG

Screenwriter
i would'nt be surprised.
like u, there are other Asian countries where majority of consumers my still believe that only Japanese makes good TVs, while any other marques are considered as "fakes".

i bet not much folks knows that HiSense made TVs for European and U.S. markets few years back, makes Toshiba TVs today and still continue to do so next day, after SHARP gained their independence in U.S. continent. while German brand METZ, is now owned by SkyWorth, they had made TVs for Panasonic than spans in product year "H","J" and "L". TCL is making Panasonic labelled TVs, now from "M".
the Koreans, both Samsung and LG doesn't seems to have made TVs for other marques... or i might be wrong.
however, there're wider choice of Chinese makers that built TVs for other brands in global markets.
KONKA, Haier, HKC, ChangHong are the 2nd tier of manufacturers that would be willing to build TVs for other marques... hence, looking for a ODM is pretty easy, as they'll be relying on those OEM contracts to make them grow.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
To clarify, Chinese vs Japanese [etc.] was not the intended point of my comment, only major brands vs less established ones. I own mostly Samsung sets but the one TCL I do have has been a flawless performer. save the quirky remote.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m also very happy with the TCL that I got in 2018, which was their top of the line model at the time. It’s honestly the best TV I’ve ever owned, which is more than I expected when I got it. In terms of sharpness, clarity, color reproduction, black levels, it’s miles beyond the LG plasma that it replaced. If they’re bringing the same or better quality to a giant size screen, I wouldn’t bet against its success potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks