What's new

TCL 115” mini-LED announced (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
To clarify, Chinese vs Japanese [etc.] was not the intended point of my comment, only major brands vs less established ones. I own mostly Samsung sets but the one TCL I do have has been a flawless performer. save the quirky remote.
See above John. I’m guilty of labeling pretty much all 3rd tier up and coming display manufacturers as Chinese. It’s something I should know more details on but don’t.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
See above John. I’m guilty of labeling pretty much all 3rd tier up and coming display manufacturers as Chinese. It’s something I should know more details on but don’t.
I know the origins of Sony, Samsung and LG [Goldstar] but know next to nothing about TCL, Vizio or Hisense. Basically, if Costco will sell it, I will buy it as I know they stand behind their products.

YANG

Screenwriter
I know the origins of Sony, Samsung and LG [Goldstar] but know next to nothing about TCL, Vizio or Hisense. Basically, if Costco will sell it, I will buy it as I know they stand behind their products.
anyway, to make it more confusing, the 1st tier Chinese makers created their own "in-house" brands and export to other countries to gain more exposure. such as IFFALCON from TCL, COOCAA from SkyWorth, and VIDDA from HiSense. the latter for the moment seems to be only limited to domestic market, but it won't hold much longer when there's a demand for VIDDA in other international market when their products are in specifications, considerably competitive to the mid-range/end products of the other 2.

in the 2nd tier brands, currently here in AsianPacific market we only see CHIQ(export specification reference from the name letters, Chang Hong International Quality) from ChangHong. ChangHong don't just make CHIQ branded TVs for international markets, they also do OEMs for other brands, along with Haier, HKC and Konka.

in the 3rd tier of "Chinese TV makers", these are mostly not ODMs but OEMs. XiaoMI, RedMI, OPPO, Huawei and HONOR may seems to be limited to domestic markets, out of the 5, 3 of them had exported out of China to other places with the global Google TV OS as well as Huawei developed HongMen OS.

anyway, American market is blessed with warranty enhancement from the seller, where the manufacturer could limit their manufacturer warranty to 2yrs full coverage or less, the seller fills it up to 3~5yrs with another one year as addition or service enhancement.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
IIUC HiSense TV production was a factory built under Sharp direction to manufacture Sharp TVs in China. When Sharp got out of the US TV market a few years ago, HiSense branded TVs were their replacement. Originally Sharp designs, I'm not sure about them now. Yang knows more about the HiSense/Sharp ties.

TCL may be the world's largest manufacturer of TVs by volume. Telephone Communications Limited started in 1981 as a manufacturer of audio cassettes. Wiki says they own various famous trademarks such as Dual Turntables. Wiki is cloudy about this but TCL may manufacture many of the Samsung TVs.

I'm shocked at the high quality of the 55" TCL 5 series I bought at BB for $450 a couple of years ago. In the 1970s that would have bought a 15" NTSC CRT TV.

Last edited:

YANG

Screenwriter
IIUC HiSense TV production was a factory built under Sharp direction to manufacture Sharp TVs in China. When Sharp got out of the US TV market a few years ago, HiSense branded TVs were their replacement. Originally Sharp designs, I'm not sure about them now. Yang knows more about the HiSense/Sharp ties... ...
i don't really have in depth knowledge of Sharp and HiSense historical details with exception of...
...In July 2015, Hisense bought a Mexico facility from Sharp for $23.7 million alongside rights to use the Sharp brand on televisions sold in North and South America...
part extraction from
this nails very hard in my memory as all the while my impression on Japanese marque stance in U.S. market, is always the 2nd last to give up. i was surprised to learn then, that SHARP exited U.S. market back before 2015.

anyway, with the mentioning of SHARP, this will surprise some members here... the 100inch display barrier wasn't broken by the Chinese but by Japanese, SHARP especially with their 120inch 8K model that have a TV tuner inside, but only available as business display... due to the high price tag, high cost and low production volume.
this was probably made to take on the LG 105UC9 which was made available in 2014...

Lee Sandersen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leland T. Sandersen
I've said it before and I'll say it again - TCL (and quite possibly even Hisense) may be the next LG or Samsung. Those two South Korean companies were once considered "bargain" or "budget" brands here in the US. Remember, LG used to be called Goldstar.
Lucky Goldstar. The brand you bought on sale at Kmart and regretted it before you even got home. A buddy bought a 19 inch set from them in the 80s. I have never seen contrast so poor. In those days, you were better off buying a Sears or Wards brand TV if you wanted cheap as they were usually rebranded better TVs. I opened up a Wards Airline one time and saw it was really a Sylvania, a top tier brand at that time.

YANG

Screenwriter
not 1++ inch though, this could be the U.S. version of 2500euro 98P745 that is non-miniLED, without QLED layer but with both Dolby Vision and Virtual Atmos...

...as according to the general specification described.​

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks