Taxi

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Neil_Duffy, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy Second Unit

Anyone know what's happened to the last few seasons of this? I heard it was coming a while ago... but nothing recently... any news, anyone?

2. Dan*T

Dan*T Supporting Actor

I'm totally with you dude..

Paramount, where the hell is seasons 4 & 5?

3. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
  4. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Season 4 is coming! Sept. 22, according to TVShowsonDVD.com.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Taxi-Season-4/12205

5. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Wonderful news! Season 4 and 5 are among my most-wanted TV on DVD titles.
    Looks like they're going with a different cover. I won't complain.

6. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

The packaging is seriously troublesome on this release.

Why? Because changing the packaging makes buying this release option #3.

My first thought? I'll wait and see if the previous seasons are re-issued in this style and see if season 5 is released in matching packaging too (if it's released at all).

My second thought? If I'm going to do that I might as well hope for a complete-series set.

Third? Go out and buy all four (including the new one), accept the packaging weirdness and hope for the fifth season.

So yeah, as you can see it's not an ideal release by any stretch.

If Paramount were smart they'd just release seasons 4 and 5 at the same time for those of you who did wait 4+ years after buying previous seasons (in matching packaging, no less) and they'd release a complete-series set for procrastinators like me (and the reason I did it was for this very reason, I anticipated that the show had abandon-potential from the beginning) with no exploitative "exclusive bonus" content.

That way, everyone's happy and all the content is out there. Of course, that just makes too much sense.

Also, with shows like this practically everyone who is on-board for season 4 is going to buy season 5 anyway so there's absolutely no reason why they shouldn't just put both of them out. I'm fairly certain there's no rigorous restoration involved in these releases nor is there any substantial bonus material.

But yeah, I've waited this long and I'll just hold out for a complete series set.

7. Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight Second Unit

Stephen
    Words cannot describe how happy I am that,after five long years,the fourth season of Taxi is finally being released.After all this time,I had resigned myself that the series wouldn't be completed.I guess Never say never.

8. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    Gee, it seemed to take a long time, didn't it ? Ahem. It just goes to show that you should never give up hope.

Now, GO BUY IT, FOLKS! Otherwise don't complain when the next season never sees the light of day.

9. bmasters9

bmasters9 Screenwriter

Ben Masters
    Exactly what I said on Sitcoms Online. Either pre-order it or "day-and-date" it. Both of those will help immensely in showing demand.

10. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Taxi complete series is on sale as one of Amazon's "Deal of the Day" sales at $47.99 here

11. albert_m2

albert_m2 Stunt Coordinator

Albert
    According to thshowsondvd.com an actual complete series (not all of the separate sets sold as one set) will be released this Fall...

http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/20202

12. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    These are certainly the same discs in the season sets. I'd be interested to see this in blu-ray.

13. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    I'd get this if CBS went back and fixed some of their over zealous music edits. Otherwise, I'm not all that interested.

14. younger1968

younger1968 Cinematographer

paul young
    I have Taxi on to buy list as such I was quite happy to see the complete series released. I will look at purchasing the show next year or if I see a good deal!

15. albert_m2

albert_m2 Stunt Coordinator

Albert
    The pre-order price this weekend was $55 so I bet there will be holiday deals below $50 (maybe below $40?). I never got the season sets, so this one will be on my radar.

16. younger1968

paul young
    Order my set today for $61 (Canadian)!! I always quantified Taxi as the Cheers of the 1970s!!!

17. younger1968

paul young
    Any comments on Taxi? I am looking forward to this set as I remember the show fondly as child!!

18. Corey3rd

Corey3rd Screenwriter

Joe Corey
    A lot of people that worked on Cheers also worked on Taxi. The show is amazing in how it made main characters vanish. The Southern cabbie is completely forgotten after the first season. Bobby gets written off when they realize he's the same character as Bobby.

19. Hasslein

Hasslein Second Unit

Jim
    It is still worth owning, but a handful of episodes are butchered because of music clearance issues.

20. Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence Second Unit

Dave
    This. When Amazon recently had a sale on every season bundled together, I almost bought it. But then I checked out some of the reviews of the individual seasons. I could probably grit my teeth and tolerate most of the cuts, because I honestly don't remember as much of the individual music from this show as I do from shows like WKRP and Murphy Brown. But speaking as a Billy Joel fan, how do you not have the song "Vienna" in the episode "Vienna Waits"?

So I'll pass. Still a great series, though. Especially once Rev. Jim shows up.