What's new

Target Ticket is definitely closing (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So there wasn't ever an official PR announcement or anything? It all just kinda happened with no news reporting on it? And no official guidance to current customers?

Classy.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Sam Posten said:
So there wasn't ever an official PR announcement or anything? It all just kinda happened with no news reporting on it? And no official guidance to current customers?

I suspect current customers did get a notice, or will when it's official, just that...I don't happen to know any. :unsure:

And failure isn't one thing that often gets mentioned by the PR people in the press statements, especially when they don't have the silver-lining statement telling customers to "Watch for our whole brand-new offerings available in the future", as Disney said when they folded DMO.

(And Disney could say that, since they did have plans to get back into it.)

P

Patrick Donahue

Classy.
From what I understand all of this isn't going to happen until March and an announcement will probably be made then. Right now it's still an active service.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
There's been no official evidence that TT is shutting down, only hearsay so far. They just put up new movies to buy today, and new people can still signup. Hard to believe that would happen if they were about to shut down. Maybe it's true, but I just don't see it.

P

Patrick Donahue

Joshua Clinard said:
There's been no official evidence that TT is shutting down, only hearsay so far. They just put up new movies to buy today, and new people can still signup. Hard to believe that would happen if they were about to shut down. Maybe it's true, but I just don't see it.
Not official no but someone on another forum called their customer service who supposedly gave a March 7 date and the CinemaNow info. You will also notice though that the Pre-Order page has been scrubbed of everything...

It's not overly surprising actually because Target just got a new CEO who also just closed all their Canadian stores so it looks like a new regime clearing out the old...

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Received this e-mail today:

Hello Target Ticket guest,
Target has made the difficult decision to end the services offered on Target Ticket effective March 7, 2015. After that time, Target Ticket will no longer be accessible across all device applications, gaming consoles, tablets, smartphones and the web.
  • If you have rented any movies that you have not yet watched, these movies must be watched prior to March 7, 2015. Starting on this date, they will no longer be available on Target Ticket.
  • Starting March 7, 2015, if you have purchased digital movies/TV shows from Target Ticket,you may access this content on CinemaNow, provided it is also available on CinemaNow. CinemaNow is available at no cost to you. We have partnered with CinemaNow, a leading provider of premium pay-as-you-go digital entertainment, to ensure a smooth and easy transition.
  • If you choose to register with CinemaNow, you must agree to have your library of purchased titles and existing account credits transferred from Target Ticket to CinemaNow in order to maintain access to your titles purchased through Target Ticket. You can transfer your library on or after March 7, 2015.
  • UltraViolet movies purchased through Target Ticket can also be accessed through several other digital movie services.
For additional information, please view our Frequently Asked Questions. You will also receive an email onMarch 6, 2015 with more information
We thank you for the opportunity to entertain you.
Sincerely,
The Target Ticket Team
view FAQ

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Starting March 7, 2015, if you have purchased digital movies/TV shows from Target Ticket,you may access this content on CinemaNow, provided it is also available on CinemaNow. CinemaNow is available at no cost to you. We have partnered with CinemaNow, a leading provider of premium pay-as-you-go digital entertainment, to ensure a smooth and easy transition.
Oh, now, that's just cruel! It's hard enough losing a good service, but getting them hooked on CinemaNow, only to watch THAT one go under a month or two later, they did that deliberately! ;)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
If anything, CinemaNow has actually managed to get worse (if that was even possible) since they were sold off by Best Buy.

Ejanss said:
Oh, now, that's just cruel! It's hard enough losing a good service, but getting them hooked on CinemaNow, only to watch THAT one go under a month or two later, they did that deliberately! ;)

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
I think the fall of Target Ticket has nothing much to do with the state of the digital business as much as the overall restructuring thats going on now with the Target Corp as a whole. The recently decided to close ALL stores in Canada and cutting back in other areas as well. EST Electronic Sell thru is one of the fastest growth bright spots right now in home entertainment and I expect we will see continued growth in the future.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Sam Posten said:
So what happens on the digital films that CN does NOT have access to that people bought at Ticket, assuming there are any?
IF they are UV compatible then they can get them from other UV vendors. VUDU for example. Otherwise I dont know. Thats a question better left to the Target Ticket folks.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Ive noticed over the past few weeks that Target has been doubling down on adverts for physical media. The flyer last week had the first page dedicated to physical media including video books CD and more. Also lota of print adverts in magazines and local paper. I find this interesting.

Anothe observation the Target by my house has a lot of Target Ticket end caps still up. Did the not get the memo?

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Towergrove said:
Ive noticed over the past few weeks that Target has been doubling down on adverts for physical media. The flyer last week had the first page dedicated to physical media including video books CD and more. Also lota of print adverts in magazines and local paper. I find this interesting.

They always have, as much as Best Buy's flyers, you've probably just never noticed until now.

Namely, because both B&M stores don't directly make money off the digital sales...Point to consider, for chain-store based digital services.

(Which is why Wal-Mart keeps hyping going to the physical store to do your Vudu D2D, where the money can change hands directly.)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Actually, Wal-Mart has been neglecting the in store Disc to Digital lately. A lot of the stores can't do it anymore, because they have been upgrading the computers, and the news ones aren't compatible with the system. Hardly anyone uses the in store system anymore, most everyone has moved to the at home program.

macfan601

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Joshua Clinard said:
Actually, Wal-Mart has been neglecting the in store Disc to Digital lately. A lot of the stores can't do it anymore, because they have been upgrading the computers, and the news ones aren't compatible with the system. Hardly anyone uses the in store system anymore, most everyone has moved to the at home program.

The problem with that is that Mac laptops haven't come with DVD drives for a long time. And you are wrong. I still use the the in store system quite a bit. Have never run into a Walmart store in Michigan that can't do the Disc to Digital as of yet. Must be a Texas thing.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I'm not wrong. I never said that the in store program didn't exist. I said that barely anyone uses it, and that the system doesn't work in many stores. Notice that I didn't say all stores. If you have paid much attention to the vudu forums, you will have noticed that a lot of people from all over the nation have reported the program doesn't work. In some stores, the staff don't even know how to use it. It has been that way for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks