What's new

Tallied Poll: 5 toughest films for you to sit through 1990 on (100 voters + wanted) (1 Viewer)

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Ok it was hard to limit it to 5 but here goes.
5. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - ok so what exactly was so great about this? I mean a bunch of people flying around and defying gravity :rolleyes
4. The Truman Show - I thought I was going to see a comedy. What a piece of excrement!
3. Shakespeare In Love - Aaaaah, how did this win Best Picture? Boring!
2. The Thin Red Line - I had to see this one so shortly after SPR? Worst war movie I have ever seen!
1. Titanic - same as number 3! They should make up a new category for the Academy Awards and that would be most unbelievable character in a film that won best picture. Leo DiCrapia.
Honorable mention would be to Steel Magnolias but it just made the cutoff by being released in 1989. Otherwise this would have moved Titanic to number 2.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Ok it was hard to limit it to 5 but here goes.
5. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - ok so what exactly was so great about this? I mean a bunch of people flying around and defying gravity :rolleyes
4. The Truman Show - I thought I was going to see a comedy. What a piece of excrement!
3. Shakespeare In Love - Aaaaah, how did this win Best Picture? Boring!
2. The Thin Red Line - I had to see this one so shortly after SPR? Worst war movie I have ever seen!
1. Titanic - same as number 3! They should make up a new category for the Academy Awards and that would be most unbelievable character in a film that won best picture. Leo DiCrapia.
Honorable mention would be to Steel Magnolias but it just made the cutoff by being released in 1989. Otherwise this would have moved Titanic to number 2.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
The Butcher Boy (Extremely hard to sit through not because of any perceived wretchedness, but for its offensiveness. Only Eamon Owens' incredible performance in the title role kept me watching.)
Very understanable. The lead character, and the anti-social acts he commits, can definitely leave you cold, especially since he's a child (something very rare in films). I for one, liked the film, maybe because it took such chances with character.
The Thin Red Line is getting quite a few votes. I can't say I'm surprised by that. It's definitely a film that polarizes viewers, (especially those seeking a war film), due to it's philosophical nature.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Re: The Thin Red Line
I liked it quite a bit! :emoji_thumbsup:
Glad to see someone else mention that godawful piece of manipulative tripe known as I Am Sam. Where's that barfing smiley when ya need it?

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
that godawful piece of manipulative tripe known as I Am Sam.
Agree completely.

One of the things that really pissed me off is the fact that they tried to use Beatles songs to try and manipulate our feelings. Having Beatles songs (cover versions) associated with this film is a travesty!

PatrickL

Deceased Member
I'm also a fan of Jane Campion's work but I did find Sense & Sensibility very slow going
Jay, you can keep on being a Jane Campion fan, since Ang Lee directed Sense and Sensibility. :) I happen to love that movie and the Emma Thompson commentary on the disc, but hey, different strokes.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Owing to a recent ill-conceived DVD rental, I felt the need to edit my list. :)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
To further demonstrate that there's no accounting for tase, five movies I was predisposed to enjoying, but didn't:
  • The Phantom Menace: Yes, I'm one of the few thirtysomthings on the planet that isn't a huge Star Wars fan. This film reminded me why.
  • What Time is it There?: New-Tiawanese cinema? Let's not have any dialogue, let's let the camera roll in each scene far past the point of interest, and let's steal some footage from a classic... And then, let's call it art.
  • Star Trek: Insurrection: Why can't this once-entertaining franchise die in peace already?
  • Eyes Wide Shut: Kubrick, Cruise, Kidman and... and... and human sex-tables. Enough said.
  • The Fith Element: A sleepwalking Bruce Willis, Gary Oldman way, way over the top, Chris Tucker before he figured out how to be funny, Ian Holm wasted, etc and so on.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
(For the record, I think Chris Tucker is hilarious. Including in The Fifth Element.)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Ack! Just remembered another one: The Musketeer. What a dreary and boring film. I only made it halfway through this one so I don't know if it counts. :D
You know it's bad when Tim Roth can't even save it. :thumbsdown:

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Jay, you can keep on being a Jane Campion fan, since Ang Lee directed Sense and Sensibility. I happen to love that movie and the Emma Thompson commentary on the disc, but hey, different strokes.
Sorry, the slow going film I was thinking about was Jane Campion's Portrait of a Lady and not Ang Lee's Sense & Sensibility (which I really like). For some reason I keep mixing those 2 titles up.
And you're right Steve Holy Smoke was a tough one to sit through too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks