What's new

Tallied Poll: 5 toughest films for you to sit through 1990 on (100 voters + wanted) (1 Viewer)

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
5. Batman And Robin-obvious
4. Titanic-ditto
3. The Mummy-Zzzzzzzzz
2. Mission To Mars-makes me shudder just thinking about it
1. Clueless by a country mile

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Great thread.
Four Rooms - the worst movie of the decade
Man Trouble
Life is Beautiful
Caro Diario
American Pie
Howards End and Remains of the Day, huh, George?
You'll get yours! :angry: :)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
George - Do the Right Thing was released in 1989 so it doesn't quite make it for this poll. Could you choose another film. Thanks

Rob, Out of Africa is pre-1990 too. Is there any other films besides Ali that were tough to sit through for you?

No hate was intended by this thread, I just think we all need to relieve some of the frustration caused by films that wasted precious hours of our lives, hours we can never get back. I'm also very interested in the results, I think that the responses so far have shown how truly unique each person's opinion is.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The Piano

Starship Troopers

Independence Day

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

Black Hawk Down

And as Gabe wrote, I may change my mind after some consideration.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Wild Wild West
The Thin Red Line
Strip Tease
Being John Malkovitch
Godzilla
--
Holadem

David Dennison

Second Unit
The Time Machine (this was just painful)
Ali
The English Patient
The Thin Red Line
The Patriot

I feel like I am borrowing a lot from others's lists. I will edit if I come up with some better selections. Of course, there are a few movies like Batman and Robin that I never even made it through so I guess they don't count.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Sense and Sensibility?!? As the head-spokesperson of the ACC (Anti-Corset Coalition), George clearly has very little left. :)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Unique isn't quite the word I had in mind Jay. But I'm sure some of my choices would rub people the wrong way too, and all in all it's far from being a 'positive' thread.
Yeah, I forgot, nobody should have a negative reaction to a film here, and if you do, keep it to yourself, as you might upset some people with weak constitutions:rolleyes:
I'm sorry I'm making people upset by creating this thread (I'm actually shocked that people are), but there are quite a few films mentioned on this thread that I like but I'm not at all upset about seeing them. I'm one of those people who understands that not everyone is going to enjoy all the films I do and vice-versa. I'm a big fan of The Thin Red Line, but I can definitely see why some people would find it boring. I'm also a fan of Jane Campion's work but I did find Sense & Sensibility very slow going (although not enough to make my list).I guess there are people here who are just not willing to accept the phenomena of "individual tastes".
I'm also much more interested in seeing what films people react negatively to, I have no interest in creating a thread where everyone can name their favorite films, there's a hundred threads like that already, I really don't need to see Raiders or Star Wars mentioned for the one billionth time.
Right now I'm a little pissed off, so I'm sorry if I appear confrontational, Political "Movie" Correctness is really a drag.

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
Admittedly, I probably haven't seen as many post-1989 films as everyone else in this thread. My relatively limited exposure to them has seldom ever yielded for me a happy experience (they simply do not appeal to my aesthetic values).
That said, here's the worst of the worst:
Gladiator (Some films, like most of the ones listed below, keep you awake out of sheer irritation. The mediocrity exhibited by this film, however, was just so bland that it has never been tougher to keep myself conscious during a matinee showing.)
The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc (Simply a dreadful piece of filmmaking.)
Titanic (This had the saving grace of generous helpings of unintentional hilarity.)
From Hell (I think even Jack the Ripper is rotating in his grave over this one.)
The Butcher Boy (Extremely hard to sit through not because of any perceived wretchedness, but for its offensiveness. Only Eamon Owens' incredible performance in the title role kept me watching.)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Jay your post (like this thread) is giving off too many of those negative waves man.
Well while I'm here I might as well mention a few flicks just to alienate everyone on the forum...

ET The Extraterrestrial (never been one of my faves, an exercise in audience manipulation)

Practically every 'comedy' film I've seen that was released between the years 1990-2002, including the Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler 'classics'.

And nearly every teen horror flick made between 1980-2002, including the horrible Friday the 13ths, Halloweens, Elm Streets, Blair Witches, Screams and on and on.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Steve, now that you finished listing those films, don't you feel a little better...It's good therapy...out with the bad...in with the...:D

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
What? You don't hate me? I failed [sobs]. Why why why? [faints].
Messing with ya Jay, actually I feel much better now after getting that off my hairy chest.:D

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
...but there are quite a few films mentioned on this thread that I like but I'm not at all upset about seeing them. I'm one of those people who understands that not everyone is going to enjoy all the films I do and vice-versa.
I agree completely.

There are some films here that I'm astounded to see. But I'm sure that some others feel the same about some (or all) of the films on my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks