What's new

Tallied Poll: 5 toughest films for you to sit through 1990 on (100 voters + wanted) (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I would like to get at least 100 responses to the question:
What are the 5 toughest films that you had to sit through from the past 12 years (films released 1990 to the present).
This does not necessarily mean that they are the 5 worst films you've seen, just the ones where you most wanted to hit the fast forward button or had to put up the toughest fight of your life not to fall asleep. I was thinking of making it "the 5 worst films", but that would have opened up a whole can of worms. Plus, there are some really bad films that are fun to sit through.
If I get enough responses I will tally the totals to come up with the top choices. You do not have to rank your choices.
These were the 5 toughest films for me to sit through:
Armageddon - Along with the next pick, gives new meaning to the term "insults the intelligence"
Independence Day
Godzilla - I vowed after watching this film that I will never watch a Devlin/Emmerich film again, which is why The Patriot isn't on this list
Chelsea Walls - I fell asleep 5 times during this film!! Ethan Hawke should have his goatee hairs plucked out one by one for giving us this monument to boredom & pretentiousness
The Bone Collector - I'm still amazed by the lack of credibility displayed in this film, it's truly awe-inspiring.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Armageddon
Batman & Robin
Gladiator
I Am Sam
Species 2

Yuck!!!

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'm game although picking just 5 is pretty tough.
If you want more I'll be happy to oblige.
City of Lost Childeren - Couldn't wait until it ended.
Thin Red Line - Highly acclaimed here on HTF but this was THE most ponderous film I've ever managed to sit through. I've enjoyed every other Malick film but this one was not to my taste. Had to watch Apocalypse Now 3 straight times just to get the bad taste out of my mouth. :D
Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc - I like Luc Besson but this is one of the worst films I've ever seen.
Little Nicky - Watched this over at my In-laws. Fu**ing Brother-in-law! :angry: ;)
Batman & Robin - Nuff said.

Matt Fig

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Fig
Godzilla
Mummy Returns
Jurassic Park II
Brotherhood of the Wolf (dubbed, must be watched with subtitles)
The Client.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Matt

Could you pick one Grisham film so that I can use it when I calculate the results? Thanks.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
What are the 5 toughest films that you had to sit through from the past 12 years (films released 1990 to the present).
But Orson Welles's The Trial was the hardest for me to sit through last year!

Edges Of The Lord - One of those bizarre, "who thought people would want to use their free time on this?" movies.

Swept Away - I felt vaguely icky most of the way through this.

The Saint - I know this isn't really that bad a movie; I also know that I kept asking myself "why am I still sitting here?" throughout.

Audition - Understand, I love this movie. But I worry about the mental health of anyone who doesn't at least consider getting up and leaving during the last twenty minutes.

Hmmm... I seem to have put most of the other torturous movie experiences out of my mind. (Or they were ill-considered boutique films)

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I reserve the right to edit this list, as it is off the top of my head.
A.I.
Ali
The English Patient
Lone Star
The Scent of a Woman
In defense of Ali, I didn't hate it. It just seemed to go on forever. And ever.

GregZ

Agent
Ok, tough chioses to make, but...

Fight Club
The Bourne Identity - could it BE more unrealistic??
6 days 7 nights - what can I say, it came free with my DVD player
Battlefield Earth - I was really bored one day, the movie made my day much worse
Vertical Limit - what was I thinking?? (that maybe the sound was worth it? nope)

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Lost in Space
Armageddon
Big Daddy
Starship Troopers
Home Alone 2
And those are just the first few to come to mind. :frowning:
Edit: Oh! I forgot the worst one: Pearl Harbor

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Reign of Fire
Gladiator
Ali
Rush Hour

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
-Malèna
-Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc
-Wyatt Earp
-Rush Hour
-5th Element

I assume you mean theatrical films, otherwise the two single most difficult films for me to sit through where...

-Rose Red
-The Shining (mini series)

If T.V. films count then you can replace Malena & 5th Element with the 2 above listed films.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
A.I. Aritificial Intelligence
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Hannibal
Batman and Robin
Titanic Spider-Man

PatrickL

Deceased Member
The Bone Collector - I'm still amazed by the lack of credibility displayed in this film, it's truly awe-inspiring.
So right, Jay! Still, there's no room for it on my list, since it was *so* preposterous it actually kept me engaged in a mean-spirited way.

Anyhow, here are 5 (all post-'90) that tempted my fast forward finger:

Beverly Hills Ninja
The Fantasticks
Hamlet (2000)
Indecent Proposal
Meeting Venus

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc - I like Luc Besson but this is one of the worst films I've ever seen.
I am a Luc Besson fan too, but this really was pretty bad, although I don't know about it being one of the worst I have ever seen.
I will throw in another vote for Ali (speaking of another Director I like, Michael Mann, but Ali sucked)!
Out of Africa

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks