What's new

Bewitched Season 6?? (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Thanks for bumping this thread up a bit. For some reason, I couldn't locate it earlier this evening.

We watched the first four episodes from disc one tonight. It was great seeing the episode in which Adam is born. When the series first ran, I saw the first four seasons, and then somehow missed this segment (I believe I missed most of season five and, as I learned tonight, at least the beginning of season six). So it's great to see these episodes for the first time. I noticed that episode eight is the Uncle Arthur and Carol Wayne episode. I remember that one from childhood, so perhaps I only missed the first half dozen or so episodes from this season. The transfers look excellent, and I really love the menus.

When I put the first episode on tonight, my younger children first thought of the Roswell episode, "I Married An Alien," which uses the opening sequence (including similar, though not identical, music) to Bewitched very successfully IMO. They thought they were watching Roswell, and were quite surprised to learn that Bewitched was a show in its own right! :)

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
Got the sixth season a couple of days ago and have enjoyed it THOROUGHLY.
Dick Sargent got off some GREAT zingers to Endora and others...and I always love Alice Ghostley. The only downside is I NEVER got over missing Aunt Clara's visits. I love the one when Tabitha turned the man into a child....the boy who played him as a child was TOO funny. Looking forward to completing the series....but I DO wish there were some extras........Oh well...its great to have the UNEDITED episodes. I, like some of the other posters am SO disappointed in the way TV Land is going....some of the things that are passing for classics are FAR from it. They are butchering The Beverly Hillbillies to HELL and back.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I agree -- Season Six is excellent (it's the only one I have thus far). I've been checking the packaging for the previous sets, and they all look excellent.

Over the past two nights, we have watched "To Trick or Treat or Not to Trick or Treat," "A Bunny For Tabitha," and "Samantha's Secret Spell." I thought the make-up used in the first one (for Darrin) was quite good (convincing). Our children also loved seeing a unicorn last week (in "Samantha’s Yoo-Hoo Maid" -- loved the 'unique horn'!).

All in all, great fun watching this timeless classic. :emoji_thumbsup:

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau

Hope I'm not intruding... I just want to informed you that I uploaded an HQ version of the same opening here: YouTube - Bewitched stereo HQ

The first version available was crippled with high compression in order to be accepted on You Tube. But now, things have changed and real High Quality and Stereo videos can be seen.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
We watched the two-part episode tonight, from disc 2. I didn't know it was a two-parter, since the titles were "Daddy Comes For a Visit" and "Darrin the Warlock."

I thought Larry was hilarious in this one. And I also liked seeing John Fiedler, the voice of Winnie the Pooh and the actor who played Hengist in the Star Trek episode "Wolf In the Fold." In this episode of Bewitched, he played the son of the man whose account McMahon and Tate were trying to win (Bliss Cough Syrup, I believe).

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
And I LOVE that the announcement at the end of Part 1 about Part 2 was left completely intact. I hope that stays true for the S7 2-parters.:cool:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Well said! The freeze-frame didn't hurt, either. It came as a surprise to us, and as such was very effective. :)

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I think "Daddy Comes for a Visit" and "Darrin the Warlock" are my favorites out of all the two parter (with the exception of the Salem episodes). I remembered these episodes as being some of the first BW episodes I ever saw, or maybe it was that they had such an impact on me. It was so cool to see Durwood using witchcraft when every other time he's always being ticked about it. I also liked it when he and Maurice were spying on the meeting over at Bliss Pharmaceuticals.

Yes, I certainly do hope for the remaining seasons that all recaps and "Next week on BW" are intact unlike the atrocity done to the Ben Franklin episodes.

Jdcrackers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Season 7 has like 3 or 4 two part episodes... a few of the Salem episodes and the Mary the Fairy ones... I agree with David, they butchered Season 3's Ben Franklin.... David, do you think the box set will contain the original? Do you guys think Season 7 will come out this year? I can't wait to see the Salem episodes in Full... On TV Land they were cut and many minutes were not used :frowning: ... I just hope we get to see them all before too long...

David can you tell us anything about Season 9? Like why Liz decided not to film it or was the studio wanting to get another Samantha? I figure that Liz was just tired of the series and went on to other projects.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

My guess is ratings. It fell out of the top 30 in the 1970-1971 season and didn't pick up in 1971-1972. I doubt anyone felt there was any need for a 9th season. And if they had to go on much past that, they would have outlived Agnes Moorehead (d. 1974), and doing BW without Endora would be unthinkable.

The transfers on season 6 are superior to season 5 keeping in mind the generation loss from opticals. The fleshtones are a little too far to the pink side, but most TVs can adjust the tint settings (not me, as I have an HDTV with connections via HDMI and cannot adjust hue on my TV or receiver). This seems to be a problem with a lot of pre-1970s color movies and TV shows. I would imagine they were trying to achieve more tan fleshtones than pink in the original photography, but that's just guessing.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I heard the network was all ready for an additional season but it was Liz that didn't want to do it, and I can't blame her.

But I didn't know Agnes Moorehead died so soon after Bewitched. I wonder what they would've done if it happened mid season in Bewitched (get another actress or ignore the character)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

Supposedly she wanted to end it as early as 1969, but either ABC or Screen Gems increased her salary (and William Asher's) to keep her. In the last season, they got a production company credit (hence "An Ashmont Production" at the end). The same deal also gave Ashmont credits on The Paul Lynde Show and Temperature's Rising, the last one going off the air a year after their divorce in 1973. Keep in mind that ABC was considered the "Almost Broadcasting Company" well into the 1970s, up until Fred Silverman took control of programming in 1975.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
All that has been said about EM is part of why she wanted to quit. But also keep in mind EM's personal life was in shambles at this point as there was much infidelity going on in her marriage to BW producer/director William Asher. They separated shortly after BW ended and then divorced so it would've been much too difficult to continue working together.

And as was mentioned, AM passed away two years after BW ended but she was quite ill before this and doing BW w/o her would've been very dubious to say the least. I'm sure they would've tried though and if you take a look at Season 8, she only appears in 13 out of the 26 episodes. But you can tell, especially in "School Days, School Daze" that she was not feeling well at all.

As far as the corrected Season 3 discs for the boxed set, knowing how Sony runs their show, I don't think they will:frowning:

Tomorrow is the alleged date of S.7 being released in Europe but as of a couple days ago the site that Martin or John posted still didn't have artwork and that seems mighty suspicious. I would say, though, that if S.7 is released there then we should get ours sometime by the end of the year.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

I had no idea. But I did know they divorced, and William Asher married the former Mrs. James MacArthur, Joyce Bulifant (Murray's wife on The Mary Tyler Moore Show), who later divorced Bill, and married Roger Perry (Headmaster Parker on The Facts of Life), who used to be married to Laugh-In's Joanne Worley.

How can I work Kevin Bacon into all this? :D

Jdcrackers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I read somewhere that Liz was unhappy with William Asher because he was having an affair and she was secretly seeing Richard Michaels who directed many of the episodes... I also read that ABC had planned a Season 9 which would have been the 1972-1973 season, but I guess with everything going on it just didn't work out... It would have been interesting to see what the 9th season would have been like... Probably focusing more on Tabitha in school and Adam displaying his powers... With Agnes being sick, she probably wouldn't have been in many episodes... But I can understand after 8 years Liz was probably tired of the show and the writers not writing new material just doing remakes... You can tell in the last season, that Liz was not as energetic as she was in previous seasons too! But, Bewitched was one of ABC's biggest shows of that time...

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Agnes Moorehead appeared on Broadway in the musical stage version of Gigi
in 1973 after Bewitched ended. She played the aunt. It would be surprising if she was already ill during Bewitched , that she would have done the play. The musical was not a success and did not run long but still to commit to 8 shows per week when you are ill, if she knew she was ill at the time, is a little hard to believe. Is it possible she was in fewer shows due to budget cuts ?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

Raitings had droped by the 8th season - but it did hold it's own against ALL IN THE FAMILY When it was programed against it that year. Most reports say ABC was interested in a 9th Season.

Also, the series had yet to go into syndication and the network was doing VERY well with the daytime weekday (and at one point Saturday Morning)reruns (even slightly editing them for more commercial time.)

So you could see ABC's motivation for pushing for Season 9 - one more season - giving them more episodes to rerun in the daytime slots.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member

You can't, but you can put in Jim Carrey- here's how:

Between her marriages to James MacArthur and William Asher, Joyce was married to late actor/director Edward Mallory of Days of our Lives fame. They had a son named Edward John Mallory, but the marriage was short-lived. When she married Mr. Asher, he adopted the boy, and he is known today as John Asher, and like both of his fathers he's a director. His best known work is a movie called Dirty Love starring Jenny McCarthy.

(wait, it gets better!)

Mr. Asher and Ms. McCarthy were married at the time, but have since divorced and she is now the steady girl of (drumroll please): JIM CARREY!!!!!

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David

Here's how:

Elizabeth Montgomery was in "How to Stuff a Wild Bikini" with Andy Romano who was in "Ghosts of Mississippi" with Margo Martindale who was in "Rails & Ties" with Kevin Bacon:) LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks