What's new

From First to Worst: A Personal View of the Disney Animated Films (1 Viewer)

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter

From my memory of what Ernest posted the last dance of Beauty and the beast right before the end credits was taken from Sleeping Beauty, they just traced over Aurura and the Prince with Belle and the Prince. Otherwise the movements are identical.

Do a search for "Disney's Robin Hood is a Bad Movie" or something along those lines in this forum. It was a thread started by Ernest that goes through Robin Hood and shows many of the instances where they lifted animation from prior movies and why he thinks so poorly of the movie, although even Ernest admits that for all its technical deficiencies it's still a fun movie anyway :) .

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
ahh I wasn't thinking the end waltz compared to end waltz, I was thinking end waltz compared to Beauty and the Beast number that closes out the second act.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Just read Ernest's comments on a couple films, which I bypassed the first time, because I have not seen them.

I saw the following this past weekend...

Pinocchio - This one is great! I thought the part with that guy and how he turned the boys into donkeys or jackasses, was a bit disturbing. Also, the bad guys get away with what they have done, which is the first time that I've seen in a Disney film.

Bambi - I couldn't help but make some comparsions to the Lion King. But I thought this film was a lot better than The Lion King, with animation that was state of the art at the time.

Peter Pan - Finally got to see the entire film for the first time. Very enjoyable film. And we see Tink being more than just a Disney mascot.

The Rescuers - Now, this is probably the first one that I didn't like. The only funny thing was that one my of cats watched the TV, when the dragonfly was being chased by bats. I thought the writers tried too hard to make Madame Medusa evil. I noticed the name Don Bluth in the credits, and this film one reminds me more of his work since leaving Disney.

Next up... (depending on time and availability)

Pocahontas
Alice in Wonderland
101 Dalmations
Mulan

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter

That would be it. Not that I think it damns the movie as thoroughly as Ernest does. But given the extremely high importance he places on the animation itself, I can see why he would be totally unable to look past any of this and the movie would be a complete train wreck for him.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I think at one point Ernest said that the story, characters and dialogue were much less important to him than the artistry of the animation.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I believe that. Years ago he really ripped me for the fact that I don't much like Fantasia. I respect it but it bores me. Old Ernest had a heck of a temper back in those days!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks