What's new

Tales of Wells Fargo are they going to Complete it (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I have the first two season, haven't bought the final season yet. But any chance of the rest of it getting released at some point

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Street
No, I don't think so as my understanding is they don't have the prints.The 'Final Season' is also not the complete season, as a number of the later episodes appear to exist only in monochrome & were not included on this set.Timeless,on the whole have been very quiet lately with no new announcements which is disappointing.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Silverking said:
Timeless,on the whole have been very quiet lately with no new announcements which is disappointing.
Just as many of us feared, when they were acquired by Shout.

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Street
Yes, I always thought this was a backward step as far as the fans of older classic TV were concerned. Timeless didn't always get it right but did make available an awful lot of material which would never have seen the light of day but for them.

From what I can gather Timeless haven't released anything that wasn't acquired prior to the takeover. Shout have indicated they are moving away from 'classic' TV thus there are no independents in the field to release this stuff. TGG have put out a few items from the old ZIV catalogue but this was probably a one off. I know Image have just done 'Naked City' but they are hardly prolific. We are therefore left with what the studios will release, which I suspect won't be a great deal.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Silverking said:
Yes, I always thought this was a backward step as far as the fans of older classic TV were concerned. Timeless didn't always get it right but did make available an awful lot of material which would never have seen the light of day but for them.

From what I can gather Timeless haven't released anything that wasn't acquired prior to the takeover. Shout have indicated they are moving away from 'classic' TV thus there are no independents in the field to release this stuff. TGG have put out a few items from the old ZIV catalogue but this was probably a one off. I know Image have just done 'Naked City' but they are hardly prolific. We are therefore left with what the studios will release, which I suspect won't be a great deal.
Regrettably, I must agree with everything Chris has stated. Right now things are not looking good with regards to Timeless specifically and, somewhat by default, B/W TV on DVD in general. The slowdown that began several years ago, with a few surges here and there, seems to really be kicking in now. The second half of this year really has been sparse, and it doesn't look like it will get any better next year. Oh well, thankfully I've got just about everything I want so at least my library is full.

Gary "not saying we won't still get some older material released, but I honestly don't see it picking back up strong from here" O.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Tales is on Cozi TV but I'm not sure if they have the entire series or not.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Probably the same episodes as from what I have read all the 16mm TV prints for Seasons 3-5 were destroyed in the Universal fire which is why Timeless didn't complete the show. So Universal would have to go back and strike new masters from the 35mm elements and they are not likely to spend that kind of money for an old western show. Even though I wish they would.
Dave Scarpa said:
Tales is on Cozi TV but I'm not sure if they have the entire series or not.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Randy Korstick said:
Probably the same episodes as from what I have read all the 16mm TV prints for Seasons 3-5 were destroyed in the Universal fire which is why Timeless didn't complete the show. So Universal would have to go back and strike new masters from the 35mm elements and they are not likely to spend that kind of money for an old western show. Even though I wish they would.
Not unless Encore is willing to spring for a new set of transfers of all B&W seasons 1-5 if the series is ever going to make the Encore Westerns programming line-up.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
i'd be happy but shocked if Encore Westerns was willing to put up the huge dollars to remaster all 5 seasons of this somewhat forgotten Western Gem. If I had to guess they would probably be content with just airing the first 2 seasons that timeless released. Those have adequete video quality about the same as Wagon Train Season 1 but not as good as Wagon Train Season 2, 3 and the 1st half of Season 4
oldtvshowbuff said:
Not unless Encore is willing to spring for a new set of transfers of all B&W seasons 1-5 if the series is ever going to make the Encore Westerns programming line-up.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Fans of Tales of Wells Fargo should pick up the Fox-Mod title: THE SILVER WHIP.The Silver Whip,(1953),has Dale Robertson as a shotgun messenger working for the Northwest Overland Stage Line, with Robert Wagner as the driver, and Rory Calhoun as the local lawman. Lola Albright and Kathleen Crowley are in it too.It has beautiful black and white outdoor photography and exciting action. It plays almost like a pilot for Tales of Wells Fargo, but, of course, it was not.I wonder if Wells Fargo provided any financial backing for the Tales of Wells Fargo series.

Gary Miller

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a little late to this discussion, and it looks like Tales of Wells Fargo has dropped off the schedule on Cozi TV. (In fact, I wasn't even aware of Cozi TV until I read this thread).

I did find a screen capture, posted by a viewer on another forum, with a 1960 copyright date, which would have been the third or fourth season. Does anyone know if Cozi ran the complete series? In my opinion, Tales of Wells Fargo was one of the better, no-nonsense Westerns, although I thought the final expanded color season was pretty tepid, and undermined the show legacy overall.

I haven't seen the middle seasons since local TV ran overnight re-runs in the 1970's. How I would love to see them again!

b5o234.jpg

connierebel

Auditioning
Real Name
Connie Renda
I'm surprised no one ever taped them off the TV! I've seen so many home made copies of shows that were taped off TV. Even though the quality isn't that good, it is better than nothing. I posted on Shout! Factory's facebook page the suggestion that they put seasons 3-5 on DVD, but htey said they have no plans too. :( It's really unfortunate; Tales of wElls fargo is one of my favorite Westerns.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I think that this may get revisited. From my understanding, they can put together seasons 3-5 with only 1, maybe 2 episodes where a 16mm print can't be located. Whether Timeless would spring for the exhorbitant Universal fees to be complete I don't know, but I think most of us can agree we would rather see it released even if its missing an episode.

connierebel

Auditioning
Real Name
Connie Renda
I sure hope they change their minds. Yes, we certainly wouldn't mind only missing an episode or two, to get most of those episodes.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I am finally getting around to purchasing Tales of Wells Fargo, and I'm hoping someone who's bought it can give me an explanation of TMG's two different releases. The Complete seasons 1 and 2 is self-explanatory, but are there enough episodes from seasons 3-5 in the Best Of set to make it worth buying that one also? I'm guessing from the tone of this thread that we probably will not see complete releases of seasons 3-5, so I'd like to get as many episodes as I can, but if the Best Of set is primarily a rehash of the first two seasons I'll likely pass. Thanks in advance to anyone who can clarify it for me.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I am finally getting around to purchasing Tales of Wells Fargo, and I'm hoping someone who's bought it can give me an explanation of TMG's two different releases. The Complete seasons 1 and 2 is self-explanatory, but are there enough episodes from seasons 3-5 in the Best Of set to make it worth buying that one also? I'm guessing from the tone of this thread that we probably will not see complete releases of seasons 3-5, so I'd like to get as many episodes as I can, but if the Best Of set is primarily a rehash of the first two seasons I'll likely pass. Thanks in advance to anyone who can clarify it for me.

If you have the Complete Season 1 and 2 then you do not need the Best of set. The Best of set was released first and is only a best of Season 1 and 2 and I think a couple episodes from the final season. They have never released any episodes from season 3-5. See thread above for reasons why.

Last edited:

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
If you have the Complete Season 1 and 2 then you do not need the Best of set and I think a couple episodes from the final season. The Best of set was released first and is only a best of Season 1 and 2. They have never released any episodes from season 3-5. See thread above for reasons why.

Randy, thanks so much. That's just what I needed to know.

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Street
Randy is correct , the 'Best of Set' was released first & contains about 40 of the S1 & 2 episodes + 5 episodes from S3 & 1 from S4. An oddity about these episodes & the complete S1/2 set is that the opening theme is not the actual broadcast version but a much lighter version that sounds if it is from some 'Best of Themes' record by Geoff Love or Ray Conniff or someone.There are a couple of episodes where the theme is correct. I would have said copyright problems but the correct theme is present on the end credits.

For season 6 the show went to the hour format & was filmed in colour. Timeless released the first 22 of these in the 3rd set.. The remaining dozen or so episodes only seem to exist in B/W though they were filmed in colour.

I would really love to see the unreleased S 3, 4 & 5 , or as much of it as can be assembled get a release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks