What's new

system is setup , now I want to tweak it (1 Viewer)

Joe_on

Stunt Coordinator
Have a Sony 36XBR800 TV, Yamaha 1400 receiver and Infinity TSS750, Sony Directv/tivo combo and a Sony DVD 5300.

I just got my receiver and Yammy 1400 has the auto setup which is sweet. But , I went in manually to see if I could get a better sound. Hard to tell. I do have my sub at 120 HZ crossover. The THX standard for my speakers(per my receiver) is 80 but in researching it,that is too low.

When I see a movie, the receiver display says enchanced surround sounds,
Should I set it up for something else, the configuration is set at auto, will I get better sounds?

What other tweaks could I do to optimize my surround sounds, sort of a to do list kinda of thing- that I might be missing.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Joe.

This article from our Primer on Calibration means Accuracy can give you some insight into audio calibration.

For video calibration, check out the Display Devices fourm and search for "Digital Video Essentials" and "Avia" - these are 2 DVD's that help you adjust your display.

A better, but more expensive proposition, is to locate a local ISF Calibrationist that will do all the television adjustment for you. Search for "ISF" in the Display devices fourm for discussions.

Good Luck.

PS: You might want to get a SPL meter and map your room response. Search the Speakers and Subwoofers fourm for "House Curve" to learn how you might want to adjust your subwoofer.

Note: there is a LOT of inexpensive speaker adjustments and tweeks you can do with speaker positions and alignments. The equipment needed is:

- SPL Meter ($45 at Radio Shack)
- Laser Pen ($15-$40)
- Rubber door wedges (for under your center speaker)
- Etc.

Good Luck.

Joe_on

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, I read the links and they were very informative. My yammy 1400 receiver has the auto setup with THX standards which is sweet for a newbie like me. But after reading what an avia or VE calibration disc can do with a SPL meter, Im tempted to go for it. It just Im not that techie but I will consider it. Right now, The sounds I am getting are good but of course, I wonder if they could be better.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I'd like to have more comments about that Infinity TSS-750 system as I am fooling with the idea of pairing it up with an HK 630...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks