switch wallplates on RC-1 system.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Robert Hurtado, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Robert Hurtado

How do you mount the wall plate to the switch and outlet boxes on a wall that has resilient channel? Do you leave them sticking out 1/4 inch and put acoustic sealant behind and/or it?

Can you use RC-1 to hang 1/2" drywall on the ceiling? Would you have to reverse the last channel on one end so that the others don't bend too much?

2. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

To answer the first question, You should be able to use a mud ring to "extend" the box.

I would think that hanging 1/2" drywall on any RC would not be a problem, but your should probably check with the manufacture for exact installation instructions.

3. SteveLeach

SteveLeach Stunt Coordinator

There are 2 types of RC, one is for walls, one is for ceilings. The one used for ceilings is often called hat channel because of it's shape.

[​IMG]

4. Robert Hurtado

If I install the mud plates should the wall plates be touching the drywall? If they will be touching the drywall will it allow it to move?

5. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

I think the idea is that you use flexible caulk around the edge of the ring to sperate it from the wall. The ideal way to do it from a soundproofing point of view is to surface mount all of the electrical (in conduit), but for the sake of aestetics, most people take the small hit of a more traditional install.

And Steve is right about the hat channel. I had forgetten about that.