What's new

Blu-ray Review Swingers Blu-Ray Review (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
48f5e371_Swingers.jpeg

Swingers

Studio: Miramax

Distributor: Lionsgate

Rated: R

1080P, AVC MPEG4 AWBR @ 18.5Mbps

Audio is in DTS-MA 2.0, DTS-HD 5.1

The Story: 4 / 5

It’s been years since I first watched “Swingers”. A friend had called me, telling me I “MUST” watch one of the funniest comedies he had seen that year, and he’d be right over. As he described it, and before I watched, I thought: this is far too much inside baseball. A group of friends hoping to break into show business in Hollywood.. and it ends up an independent film. But as we sat down and watched, I admit I laughed far more than I expected.

44a63776_Shot1.bmp

The trick with independent films is that they are often shot on a low budget so you can’t rely on effects, incredible camera work or slick stagecraft. So, the only special effect you have is at the tip of the pen being held by a writer. Flashy dialog, memorable performances and a good story have to be the selling point.

Vince Vaughn’s character Trent, however is the breakout performance that helped sell this film – his dialogue which rotates between gratingly annoying and outrageously funny helps flesh out a character too obsessed with himself. “You’re money and you don’t even know it!”. “That’s really money”. “They’ll see how money you are.” Trent boils everything down to money as a proof of value or goodness.

1d40e4e5_Shot3.bmp

Mike, played by Jon Favreau, is our protagonist an aspiring stand up comedian who seems to have no prospects. He finds himself moping about his girlfriend left back east, Michelle, and to help break through all of this, Trent promises him better things ahead (Lots of “honey babies”) to console his troubled mind.

Swingers, set in a series of locations – and a lot of coffee shops, isn’t the most original piece of work ever thrown out there. But what it lacks in originality it makes up for in outright fun. Watching it years later, it’s not as fresh or fun as it was when I originally viewed it. It can come across as dated, and sometimes the dialog just doesn’t hold up.

When I first saw Swingers it was a film people would quote dialog out of and laugh. Today, when I watch Swingers it’s not the film that makes me laugh as much as all the memories of the events I was at and friends I was with when we’d trade Swingers dialog back and forth “You’re SOOO Money!”

c0639f04_Shot2.bmp

That puts a film like Swingers in a different category, part of what makes it good isn’t the film itself, it’s that it represents a sort of cultural memory that reminds you of where you were when it was “IT”. And if you’ve EVER found yourself referencing Wingmen, “Vegas Baby” or “Money!” welcome to the film that started it all.

Video Quality: 3.5 / 5

The video here is presented in AVC-MPEG4 at an AWBR of 18.5 Mbps. This film takes one of the widest swing paths in AWBR I’ve ever seen on a disc; with a net weighted average of 18.5, but a encode ceiling of 40Mbps. A big part of what causes this is the source material. As an independent film, the original source material is not a reference quality, highly slick vehicle. The video presents the film as I originally remember. For many, this will seem very substandard. The presentation is grainy, color and brightness don’t always stay true and lighting isn’t the best. But this is a film that was shot on a $250,000 budget. Because of that, the Bluray may be as good as it gets with the source material present.

a2037132_Shot4.bmp

That’s a hard thing to factor in. While the film may be as good as it will get, it still isn’t high enough quality that it shapes up to be something you can commend the video on. It’s unlikely anyone buying a copy of Swingers is buying it because of the high video quality, but for those that have never seen the film, it may come as a surprise for what they expect from a Bluray.

Audio: 3.5 / 5

Swingers is presented in DTS-MA 2.0 and DTS-MA 5.1. This is the original presentation of the film as it was originally shown in theaters.

For those that don't notice, or who have set their Bluray player to default to the primary track, you'll get DTS-MA 2.0. The 5.1 track, made secondary is done so with reason. I admit, I found the DTS-MA 5.1 track to be very lacking. Dialog wasn't nearly as good as I expected and in a film like this it largely went to waste. Sometimes, more is less. The DTS-MA 5.1 mix isn't really necessary in a film that wasn't designed for it and there isn't a grand purpose to it. The rear channels remain largely silent, there is minimal use of LFE and I found that the dialog with the DTS-MA 5.1 mix did not fill my room as effectively as the DTS-MA 2.0 track. Having listened to both, I find that the film is just better viewed as it was originally intended, in the uncompressed primary stereo track.

Extras: 4 / 5

The set of extras that comes with Swingers is a really nice assortment of what the film meant.

Art Imitates Life - Writing Swingers - 11:01, MPG2, 480P. Jon Favreau details what went into writing the film, how he met the actors in the film, and how they agreed on the staging and production.

Life Creates Art - Getting Swingers Made, MPG2, 480P, 17:22. This is a pretty good documentary about the original pitch process of selling the script, which turned into filming the movie on their own.

Life Imitates Art - Swingers Culture MPG2, 480P, 11:28 "You're So Money, and you don't even know it.." A short documentary on how the phrases “Money”, “Wingman” “Vegas, Baby, Vegas!” became catch phrases for agents, friends and others after the film was released.

Art Creates Life - Life After Swingers - 9:28, MPG2, 480P. How for those involved, especially Vince Vaughn and Jon Favreau this became the launching pad for their career.

Alternate & Deleted Scenes:

The Hockey Game - 2:59, MPG2, 480I

The Kiss - 3:11, MPG2, 480I

Vegas Girl's Trailer - 4:29, MPG2, 480I

Drunk in the Diner - 2:17, MPG2, 480I

Fake Trailer: Swing Blade, 3:27

Conclusion: 4 / 5

It’s really hard to rate a film like Swingers. For some, this is a must own because of the way they remember it. Nothing about the audio or video can change the way the way the film sits with them even years later. Like a lot of independent films, that’s the attraction of a film like Swingers, the fond memories you have of it and your enjoyment of the story.

I find that years later, I still enjoyed Swingers. Maybe not the same way I did ten plus years ago, but I found myself thinking of friends I had seen the film with, a few fun trips to Vegas, and how the phrases really cemented themselves into our culture.

If you’ve NEVER seen Swingers, you might at least give it a rent. If you’ve seen it and remember it, you might find that this is the right time to grab a copy. This version while not perfect is still better than the DVD release and sometimes that’s all you can ask for.

This review was done on:

ArcSoft TMT5, Oppo BD83

Samsung 52" LED

Denon 4810CI

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
You know, I think going to college in Los Angeles in the early 90s really made this movie resonate with me. In my undergraduate career, I met every character/caricature from the film. Suffering through a traumatic breakup at the time also made the film, and Favreau's character, resonate with me. Although I had many friends help me get through the breakup, I can't help but wish I had someone like Trent in my life to help put things in perspective by telling me how money I was and surrounding me with beautiful babies! I re-watch this films every 2-3 years and it never grows old for me. I laugh at the jokes and go through a fantastic trip down memory lane. Will be buying this immediately upon release. It's also amazing to think that at $250K this film introduced Vince Vaughan, Jon Favreau and Heather Graham to the world, as well as Doug Liman. Just goes to show what talent in front of and behind the lens, along with some great writing and dialogue, can do.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina

It's also amazing to think that at $250K this film introduced Vince Vaughan, Jon Favreau and Heather Graham to the world, as well as Doug Liman. Just goes to show what talent in front of and behind the lens, along with some great writing and dialogue, can do.

It is. When you think about the cast who was in it, the direction and writing and look at where they all went this was an incredibly well casted and well done film. The original film wasn't done with the equipment you'd need for a truly amazing HD experience, but here it's preserved as best as it may ever be, and when you think about all of the cast in it... it's pretty astonishing.

I also can't think of many films that really changed the language in the same way as Swingers.. "Vegas Baby!" is used damn near everywhere... Wingman? Money? It made a huge dent in the way people talk. It was good to see it again.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I've come to terms with the fact that Blu Ray A/V quality will be limited by many factors, including the original source elements, the financial factor (i.e. will this title sell enough to recoup a proper remastering or restoration), etc. While I'd love for every film (particularly the ones I love) to get the RAH special treatment restoration, I realize it isn't going to happen. The more I work in the business world, with companies always keeping an eye on the bottom line, the more I realize that while I'd love for everything to look like it was shot yesterday, the financial viability based on sales of most titles will not justify that.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
After Evil Dead there is no reason (bar the cost) that any movie released should ever look this bad, stock, age, and budget clearly do not matter as long as the time and effort is put into the master. Rant over, is it region locked?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yes, it's Region-A. My apologies.

In regards to the production, here's the issue. They could "clean this up" but the grainy, cheap look is also part of what made this film. In the same way that the look helped make Clerks. If you do too much to "clean it up" I worry that you start to alter the way the film was meant to look. The natural grain and look is how it was filmed. Without significantly digitally altering the source, I'm not sure how you get rid of that.

Could more have been done? I'm sure it probably could have, but you're right, then it's cost. For a title you can buy cheaply which won't sell in blockbuster numbers, it's doubtful they can budget that

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
Shame about the region thanks for the info, I just see films like Rocky Horror and Evil Dead looking like perfect film like transfers and do not see why every studio cannot strive for that. But at the same time part of me loves a warts and all 35mm release print transfer, grime grit and all. But swingers looks like a Universal catalogue title clumpy grain with an over all digital look of an early HDTV master.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Quick question: if I recall, the Vaughn/Favreau commentary on the SE DVD had telestrator markings on the screen. Are those on the Blu-Ray? (I know, it sounds nerdy... just wondering!)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Scott D S

Quick question: if I recall, the Vaughn/Favreau commentary on the SE DVD had telestrator markings on the screen. Are those on the Blu-Ray? (I know, it sounds nerdy... just wondering!)

Nope - unless there's some way to activate the visuals that I didn't find, it's audio-only now...

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
No, they aren't.

Originally Posted by Scott D S

/t/313921/swingers-blu-ray-review#post_3846799

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks