What's new

Swing Out Sister... (1 Viewer)

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I've loved their tunes for years. My first intro was Breakout as a CHR single. Later Kaleidoscope World also reinforced my appreciation of their music.

Why are they not on DVD in some form? I have their "..and why not" on a 8" laser. I paid $32 for it on E-bay (go ahead and laugh it up).

I also have a pre-recorded VHS of Kaleidoscope World. It has something like 5 cuts on it.

Have you heard any cuts from their "Live at the Jazz Cafe" album? I've downloaded some from WINMX but have yet to see the import CD in any store. Only a couple on-line stores have it and it's something like $40 or $50 bucks.

The live versions of "Breakout" and "Am I the Same Girl" are excellent.

nousername

Supporting Actor
Yes, I have their Live at the Jazz Cafe album. It is excellent. I bought it from CDNow about five years ago.

If their albums ever get made into DVD-Audio format, I'm buying a DVD-A capable player for sure. The sound quality of their recordings are typically extremely good on CD, but DVD-A would even be better, giving it a more of a "you are there" sensation.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
bit of a fan too.

reminds me of a little anecdote (sort-of): back when I was in college, the students' union would organise a "jam and hop", which was basically a live band playing the first half, and second half a DJ spinning music, on campus. basically a big party, kinda like bringing a club to campus rather than going out to one.

bands would of course be local, or sometimes "local" in the sense they were playing at local clubs but were from the Phillipines or Indonesia. I recall one from the Phillipines that did a mean "Another Brick in the Wall", but that's another story...

point is, we got "cover bands" and the like. someone once told me that when University of Bristol (I think) had a "jam and hop", the band they got was -- Swing Out Sister. apparently it was their alma mater (or something like that).

sigh. anyone out there ever see a "big" (i.e. commercially successful) band, group, singer, whatever, perform at their college bash?

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
What was their connection with Shakespear's Sister?

I seem to remember reading about some connection in the trades. It was either in Radio and Records or possibly the Gavin Report.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Are you thinking of Bananarama & Shakespear's Sister possibly, Scott?

There's no formal connection according to allmusic.com (who are far from perfect, but are usually good on shared bandmembers & the like).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks