What's new

SW2: AOTC Director'$ Cut (1 Viewer)

FredHD

Stunt Coordinator
AOTC on IMAX - Cut down to size :frowning:
The IMAX edition, which will be distributed by Twentieth Century Fox "exclusively to IMAX theaters," will be trimmed from its original 143 minutes to fit the 120-minute capability of most IMAX platter systems. A LucasFilm spokesperson told LFX that the editing will "maintain the integrity" of the story. "Episode II" has grossed over $300 million in conventional theaters since opening on May 19, 2002.
Just curious to see what people think about this.
JW

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Now that does suck! I've argued that reformatting the aspect ratio was fine for IMAX. But that's just BS! Cutting out 23 minutes is whack. Either play the damn film in it's entirety, or don't play it at all. Lucas ought to be ashamed for allowing this.

A LucasFilm spokesperson told LFX that the editing will "maintain the integrity" of the story.
BS! Considering AOTC will pull in 5 million at most, it's not worth it.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Well, I'm not watching it now. It may have the same title, but it sure as hell is not the same film.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Frankly I don't see how the film could be cut and still maintain sense. They would have to trim the action sequences a fair bit - and isn't that the main reason one would want to see the movie on such a huge screen?

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
You 'running time' extremists are on the fringe, man. I can't believe how far some people will go in this forum.
;) Well, I'd allow for reformatting. I had no intention of seeing it anyway, IMAX or not. I've seen it 7 times in theaters. So I'll wait for the DVD. But cutting nearly a half an hour out of the film, and 20 minutes from Apollo 13 is ridiculous. I didn't think reformatting was too ridiculous since it was going to be for IMAx. But this is. At least show the films in their full length. Besides, I don't have too much faith in IMAX being able to re-edit a film. Reformatting for aspect ratio, yes. Re-editing for time, no.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
IMAX taps out at 120min. No more film will fit on the platters. Since they refuse to do an intermission (not ENTIRELY sure it's possible to change out reels quickly) they either don't show the film, or they cut it

Personally, given that the only way to destroy them further would be to dub them with grade Z actors I'd go with A

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I've seen a number of IMAX films. But I didn't know that. I never paid attention to the running time.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
"What do I think? I think the title of this movie sums it up."

Can someone tell me what is wrong with making money? Or re-releasing a movie to make more money?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Can someone tell me what is wrong with making money? Or re-releasing a movie to make more money?
When it involves butchery, there is plenty wrong with it.

If AOTC were sold only in pan-and-scan on DVD, with 23 minutes cut, there would be a huge outcry in these forums.

I guess you wouldn't see anything wrong with it.

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff Kleist wrote:
IMAX taps out at 120min. No more film will fit on the platters. Since they refuse to do an intermission (not ENTIRELY sure it's possible to change out reels quickly) they either don't show the film, or they cut it
Personally, given that the only way to destroy them further would be to dub them with grade Z actors I'd go with A
Yeah! Uncut and with the original grade Z actors intact is the only way anyone should see Attack of the Clones!
;)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I didn't say anything about the ability of the director, but I would hardly call Sam Jackson, Frank Oz, Christopher Lee and Ewan MacGregor grade Z

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Funny stuff! 23 minutes will be pretty ugly, but I'll spare the snide comments. I understand the desire to show the film on the huge screen, but "maintaining it's integrity" is a bit off a eye-opener. The battles showcase the technical virtuosity, but are the only elements that can be cut while maintaining the narrative. NP's dialogue is the worst (as well as delivery) but no male editor would cut her scenes ( ;) ). Expect a few sub-plots to go bye-bye. I agree with Terrell - 5 Million at most.
Take care,
Chuck

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Aw c'mon Chuck. Don't you know all Star Wars threads are supposed to degenerate into snide remarks and bashing.:D

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't see why reformatting the image isn't a big deal but trimming down the running time is. It's cut either way. Both result in a compromised version. But it's for IMAX, so you can see it on a REALLY BIG SCREEN with COOL 'SPLOSIONS in WIZZ BANG SURROUND SOUND, right?:thumbsdown:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Terrell,
It's only on page 1...give it time :D
I do feel bad for the fans of AOTC who were waiting for this. I suppose the big GL has no choice but to do this. The DVD analogy isn't the same. The IMAX movie is not what will sit on my shelf for a few years - just something I see once. I would be in a furor over the DVD in P&S, but the IMAX thing is just a bit deflating.
Take care,
Chuck

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I used to pimp out my grandma for money. That is till I had her die in an "accident" so I could cash in some insurance.
Obviously I am lying (sorry grandma), but the point is extremely obvious. The debate over whether making money is good or bad is totally moot.
The only point is what moral and/or artistic compromises are you willing to make in your life in order to get money (or anything else for that matter, since cash just buys other things).
Cutting up your own film to try to get more money out of another FILM market is just cheap and stupid. Cutting for TV seems like a necessary evil at this point, and I understand directors allowing it grudgingly (after all, their art medium is film, not TV). And not all directors are cool with cuts (like Mann and Heat).
But this is all gimmick. IMAX is a gimmicky fun for these feature converts anyway, but to start ripping out footage (especially a lot like in this case) just seems dreadful.
I know Terrell doesn't agree, but I think this is just more of the new Lucas in action. I just don't get him and his stance on film anymore.
All this being said, we saw Matrix IMAX back at the LA meet 2000 and didn't notice the cuts. At the time I don't think any of us were thinking about it, but the running time is well over 2 hours (and we stayed for the credits, so that wasn't the cuts made).
All I can say is that generally the viewing is not better in terms of image, but the sound system is fantastic. If only more regular theaters could have that solid a sound system. :)
For AOTC, I'll just wait till DVD. I can always sit 1 foot from the 105" and pretend it's IMAX. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks