What's new

SW2: AOTC Director'$ Cut (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Still, couldn't they just do 70mm prints instead and show them in the limited theaters that can handle those instead?
Actually, there are maybe what, 10 theaters in the entire country that can show 70mm?

Ritz East in Philly (teeny tiny theater tho)
Zigfried in NYC
Senator in Baltimore
I think there's one in DC
Cinerama Dome in LA
Cinerama in Seattle
Egyptian in LA
El Capitan in LA

umm, probably somewhere in Texas......

In contrast, there are at least 50 IMAX theaters. Lucas himself has been greatly dissapointed by the death of 70mm

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Neon Movies in Dayton, OH does 70MM. I saw Alien and 2001 there.

I think there are a lot more out there than people think.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Lucas himself has been greatly dissapointed by the death of 70mm
It's too bad he's not a powerful filmmaker with a set of in-demand films that could have been recently issued in the format, or that he doesn't have the resources to film an almost-guaranteed moneymaker in such a way that 65/70mm is its native format, or that all of his cries that people shouldn't accept inferior digital photography and projection as a substitute for quality film, let alone large-format film, have gone ignored. ;)
I'm sure he's sincere, but it's not like he's been actively helping it survive.

Kami

Screenwriter
This has probably been discussed before (i'm busy and can't keep up with the forums like i used to), but how will AOTC look blown up that big? Wasn't it shot in a resolution of around 2 megapixels?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
how will AOTC look blown up that big? Wasn't it shot in a resolution of around 2 megapixels?
That's the big question, isn't it? I'll hopefully get to see Apollo 13:TIE this weekend, to get an idea how well the DMR process handles 35mm film (remember, they're not just getting "blown up", but also being processed digitally to interpolate a higher-resolution picture). I'm not terribly optimistic, but I am curious - AOTC seems to be being pushed through much faster than Apollo was, but it can likely also skip the scanning-in process. IIRC, Apollo was scanned at 4Kx4K, so AOTC is starting with much lower resolution, and less data can't be good.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Michael,
I disagree with the way you present your argument.
Please forgive me my use of your quote ;)
And some of us think that if a film is worth watching, it is worth the effort and expense of watching it the right way.
To me, cable is mostly for original programming and certainly not for compromised film. To each their own, I suppose. But some of us will continue to stand up for the principle of watching film right, and the HTF is a good place to do it.
I have HBO almost solely for Sex and the City. But who determines the right way to watch a movie? Be very careful with that word. I have a preferred way to watch a film. A way I recommend to friends. The tone you use indicates that you believe members of the HTF who disagree with you must not be true members of the HTF. I support OAR fully, and in my own way. Your way is NOT the right way. It is the HTF's preferred way.
Don't make it a confrontation,
Chuck

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
The tone you use indicates that you believe members of the HTF who disagree with you must not be true members of the HTF.
Believe me, I prefer the OAR. But I'll watch a movie on cable in P&S, and have no problem doing so. If I have a DVD of said movie, I'll watch it instead in it's OAR. If that makes me wrong, so be it.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Exactly! I do spend money on cable, but I don't see the need to go to the extreme of getting rid of my cable simply because it shows films in P&S.
Why would I get rid of cable just because they crop movies? I don't even have enough time to watch the sports and original series (Farscape, Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Six Feet Under, and so on) that I like as it is!
If I had cable for movies I'd drop it in a second and use the savings to buy more DVDs (10 bux a pop through Columbia House)!
;)
But actually there are tons of OAR flicks on IFC, TCM, Fox Movies, HD-HBO, and HD-Showtime.
But seriously, who told you to get rid of cable?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Tired of original widescreen composition? Original theatrical running time too long for you? Check out IMAX remasters, coming soon to a really tall screen near you!
Just out of curiosity, Michael, why so hostile on this? The artists don't seem to feel offended, it's not replacing an original version, it's not being marketed as the same or equivelent to the original version, and it can pretty much be safely ignored. There certainly seem to be more important battles to fight than this one.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
You think my sig is hostile?

I assure you that is not the intent.

Heck, I didn't start this thread and I am certainly not the only person who has been critical of this practice.

My intent is not to offend. In fact, I try not to throw the 'J6P' moniker around as much as a lot of people here.

I personally feel that my sig tells it like it is. The other side (the marketing of these films) has plenty of doublespeak and spin doctoring.

No OAR = no sale.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Regarding 70MM projection, there are about 10 theaters in my area (2 in Paramus, 2 in Secaucus, Edgewater, Clifton, The Astor Plaza in NYC, among others) that have the capability to show that format, none of which are on Jeff's list so I would say there are many more thaters that can show 70mm than you think.

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
Which brings us to the question still...how many theaters are capable of showing 70mm? I don't know why filmmakers don't shoot more in 70mm...I don't think it would be much more expensive to bring in a Super Panavision camera then a digital Panavision camera. I think it would be cool to go and see a new-school roadshow presentation. :D

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Hey Michael,
Your sig isn't really offensive...but it is condescending to those who will go see Apollo 13, AOTC, The Lion King etc...in IMAX.

I would match my love/appreciation for film (old or new) with anyone. But I will go see these in IMAX. And it doesn't lessen my love of film, lessen my knowledge of OAR or lessen my respect for it either. Nor makes me become Joe Six Pack.

This thread can cause one to consider whether or not the HTF is about true snobbery above everything or true love of movies?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I don't know why filmmakers don't shoot more in 70mm
Because, unfortunately, the majority of the audience (not the members of the HTF, in general) doesn't care. One of 70mm chief advantages used to be the 6-track stereo sound. With DTS and Dolby Digital and SDDS available on 35mm, that advantage is gone. And with many theatres being built smaller, the advantages of the larger film are even less apparent. Since many viewers find digital projection to be "good enough" (I've never seen it look anywhere near as good as 35mm film on an equivalent-size screen), filmmakers would be silly to spend the extra bucks to shoot in Super Panavision. If only modern audiences could see a side-by-side of 35mm, 70mm, and "digital" - they'd NEVER accept the current quality compromise that digital projection (and acquisition) represents.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
If only modern audiences could see a side-by-side of 35mm, 70mm, and "digital" - they'd NEVER accept the current quality compromise that digital projection (and acquisition) represents.
Next-best thing happens in November, when Treasure Planet hits 35mm, DLP, and IMAX simultaneously.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
they'd NEVER accept the current quality compromise that digital projection (and acquisition) represents.
I agree with you that digital is not ready, yet. But it's only a matter of time as they say, before it will be. Having said that, I'd really like to see some more films shot in 70mm. But the probability of that happening is virtually nil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks