What's new

Extended Director's Cut of Clive Barker's "Nightbreed" scheduled to be released in 2014 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
shout.jpeg
EXTENDED DIRECTOR’S CUT OF CLIVER BARKER’S “NIGHTBREED”
SCHEDULED TO BE RELEASED IN 2014 FROM SCREAM FACTORY
Los Angeles, CA August 19, 2013 — Shout! Factory and Morgan Creek Productions officially announced today a strategic distribution alliance to bring Clive Barker’s classic horror film “Nightbreed” extended director’s cut to the home entertainment marketplace in the U.S and Canada and on digital entertainment platforms next year. The announcement was made by Shout! Factory’s founders Richard Foos, Bob Emmer and Garson Foos along with David Robinson, President of Morgan Creek Productions. The news initially broke at Comic-Con 2013, however the agreement formally reached by both parties occurred today.

For years rumors swirled about substantial missing footage from the film. A fan-driven movement was created (www.OccupyMidian.com) to see the full version of the film restored and re-released, which was not only a more faithful adaptation of Clive Barker’s book “Cabal,” but is what originally he intended “Nightbreed” to be.

Clive Barker said, “I had a dream about the tribes of the moon. They would live in a city called Midian and, though they were monsters of every shape and size, they would be the heroes of a movie called “Nightbreed.” However, when I made the movie, the studio was not comfortable with this inversion of the classic structure. They wanted the monsters to be simple-minded scare machines, while I wanted them to be the dark side of all of us, mysterious and misunderstood. Finally, with this new version of “Nightbreed,” which contains over forty five minutes of previously unseen material, my original vision has been realized. Come with me to Midian, the city of monsters. The tribes of the moon await us.”

“We are excited by this opportunity with Morgan Creek and are huge fans of Clive Barker. His cinematic works and brilliant storytelling continue to captivate fans worldwide,” stated Shout! Factory’s founders in a joint statement. “We look forward to working closely with Clive to bring his original vision to life.”

Shout!’s SCREAM FACTORY plans an aggressive rollout of “Nightbreed” extended director’s cut through physical home entertainment releases and a variety of digital entertainment distribution platforms sometimes next year.

“We’d also like to take this opportunity to thank the fans,” noted Robinson. “Without their hard work and persistence, this would have never become a reality. Clive Barker is one of the greats, and we are tremendously proud and excited to be working with him and Shout! Factory on this release.”

The original “Nightbreed” was released in 1990 by Morgan Creek Productions and Twentieth Century Fox. Directed by Clive Barker, the film starred Craig Sheffer, Anne Bobby and David Cronenberg and centered on a tribe of monsters and outcasts known as the Nightbreed that hide from humanity. The official “Nightbreed” page can be found at https://www.facebook.com/FansOfNightbreed

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
was reading about this touring around about a year ago, wonder if they actually found all the film elements to do this right, the original "Cabal" cut was done with tape elements that were pieced together back into the film.

as long as the presentation is there; in a good way, I'll jump and get this.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The good news is that a more complete version of NIGHTBREED is being released.

The bad news is that Morgan Creek still says they don't have the film elements. That's why we're only getting a DVD release. I'm still buying this one day one. I saw the film twice in the theaters when it was released and fell in love with it. It's a bit of a jumbled mess in its theatrical cut but there is still so much imagination that made it to the screen that I fell in love with it. I never thought I'd see the day when an extended cut would be released on home video.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
This is one of the first movies I ever watched at a theater by myself and it seemed even going into it then there were rumors of this so-called director's cut. I didn't like the film back then but I'm willing to revisit this version since it's become a "lost treasure" to some horror fans. I certainly hope it lives up to all the fights, tears and hype that it's gathered the past decade.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
So there's going to be two versions on the Blu-ray? Meaning the "theatrical cut" and "Extended Director's Cut"? I believe those extended scenes are only available in VHS tape (or perhaps in Betacam, no?), so I assume they don't look so hot in 1080p...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jari K said:
So there's going to be two versions on the Blu-ray? Meaning the "theatrical cut" and "Extended Director's Cut"? I believe those extended scenes are only available in VHS tape (or perhaps in Betacam, no?), so I assume they don't look so hot in 1080p...
My guess is that both cuts will be on the disc (there was two versions of Lifeforce on that release). As for the extended version, if the extended scenes only exist on tape, I think they'll upconvert them and have a "Sorry, this is the best elements we could find" disclaimer.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
...I think they'll upconvert them and have a "Sorry, this is the best elements we could find" disclaimer.
This is not a real problem for me, but I still would like to see "theatrcial cut" in 1080p without the inferior (quality wise) scenes added.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks