What's new

SW2: AOTC Director'$ Cut (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Because, unfortunately, the majority of the audience (not the members of the HTF, in general) doesn't care.
Not really, it's because 65mm stock prices (coupled with the amount of stock needed) makes it an economical impractibility anymore. I'm sure there are many directors who would like to shoot on 65 mm but would rather make their film than start their film on 65 mm and pray that it makes it through production.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Well, there's an IMAX theater in Cincy. Unless I get attacked by a bunch of ninjas, I'm definitely going to see it.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure he's sincere, but it's not like he's been actively helping it survive.
Jason hit upon my point exactly.
70mm is dying. Filmmakers claim to love it (apparently including Lucas). There might be just as many 70mm outlets as IMAX. 70mm gives you a large format film if the "dream" that these guys are speaking about is to see their films in a large format print.
And sending out all the SW films in 70mm would certainly draw some BO and attention to these 70mm outlets. Lucas has been at the forefront of pushing the lower resolution digital format into the mainstream, so it's not like this sort of thing isn't his bag (baby ;) ).
I can't wait till I'm rich and powerful and have some cause that I am unable to do anything about. (I'm usually not this cynical actually).

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
And btw, in this case we aren't talking about shooting in 70mm, we are talking about 70mm blow-ups being made. It's not like Apollo 13 was filmed with IMAX cameras originally. ;)
If you can make IMAX prints, you can make 70mm prints. You can still charge $10 a head ala IMAX to see these 70mm prints.
So what again is the benefit of chopping up your film to fit IMAX over just making 70mm prints???

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
So what again is the benefit of chopping up your film to fit IMAX over just making 70mm prints???
That would be preferrable. I wonder if IMAX could really show 70mm versions of these films without any alterations. At this point, theaters capable of projecting 70mm are sparse. The only one I know of around me that can show 70mm is The Fox theater in Atlanta.

Zach K

Auditioning
This whole concept is very interesting. On one hand, we apparently have an increase of feature film showings on a large format. However, it seems the trend will be to simply reformat and shorten popular feature films, which is a bad thing. This coincides with the gradual death of 70mm, I think Titianic was the last new feature film to be offered on 70mm. My only guess about 70mm is that IMAX is simply higher quality, and more widely known. IMAX also has that fancy digital blow up system, which gets bragging rights. I'm not sure what position Lucas is coming from, it's obviously a shame that he is not advocating a far better format then 35mm, with a better projection system and low wear. I don't feel his decision has so much to do with any quality, but for other reasons. Anyway, that is a topic for a different argument

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Supporting OAR is something I choose to do. It's not some do or die creed I pattern my entire life around.
Amen. If I've come across a movie on tv that I've never seen before, but it's in P&S, I'm still gonna sit down and watch it. If I like it, I'll buy it OAR or not at all.

Didn't these dedicated HTF zealots (too strong mods?) ever rent videos back in the day? Y'know, those horrible VHS P&S things that were the only way to catch a movie if you missed it at the cinema (without buying it blind or waiting ages for a tv showing)? You could've always shelled out 40 bucks a pop for the OAR LD of a movie you may not even like, of course. Now it's easy to say OAR or nothing, but ten years ago our options were a touch more limited.

What everyone's saying is that in our lovely home theatres, OAR is king. There is no contest. But surely it's the love of cinema, not aspect ratios, that got us all here in the first place? As someone else pointed out, not everything is available OAR. So why deny yourself some cinematic treats you may have missed simply because they're on tv in 4:3? Or even cropped 16:9?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Or why not make the IMAX prints letterboxed OAR. Hard matted prints. Big black bar on the top of the frame. Maybe a small one at the bottom.
The picture is still going to be enormous. The detail would still be phenomenal (compared regular 35mm projection).
Imagine distributing '2001: A Space Odyssey' for midnight showings in this format. This could reach a lot more people than 70mm does (despite that there are a lot of 70mm-capable theaters, possibly more than IMAX, there doesn't seem to be much of a market for it). And '2001' already has an intermission. :)
I mean, come on. Do you really think anybody is going to complain about the unusued portion of the frame when the image is still going to be enormous?

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Was initially interested in seeing AOTC on IMAX. Once I discovered that it's a chopped and cropped version, I have zero interest. GL,...this guy certainly doesn't have any aversions in polarizing his audience. Or making himself into the definition of contradiction.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Getting back on topic, has anyone seen Apollo 13 at an Imax screen? I'm thinking of going just to see if it's a better, or cooler movie going experience :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks