What's new

SW2: AOTC Director'$ Cut (2 Viewers)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
All this being said, we saw Matrix IMAX back at the LA meet 2000 and didn't notice the cuts. At the time I don't think any of us were thinking about it, but the running time is well over 2 hours (and we stayed for the credits, so that wasn't the cuts made).
But that would not have been a true IMAX presentation - as Clones and Apollo 13 are claiming to be. When you saw The Matrix in IMAX, it was just a standard 35mm 'scope print (though it was printed lighter to allow more light to reach the larger screen; in the past, these were called "drive-in" prints) presented - in letterbox form - on the IMAX screen. Clones and Apollo are actually being converted to the IMAX 15/70 film stock and are re-formatted and cut.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Seth
I believe there is a difference between films being re-formatted for IMAX (Apollo 13, AOTC) and film merely being shown on an IMAX screen (Matrix etc..) hence the necessity to cut the film.
I for one, will NOT be wasting my money on either of these censored for profit films.:thumbsdown:
*Edit..I see Pete responded with a more thorough answer while I was having problems with the server.:D

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I used to pimp out my grandma for money. That is till I had her die in an "accident" so I could cash in some insurance.
Although that comparison is a bit on the silly side. I certainly wouldn't equate what Lucas is allowing to that, no matter how wrong he is for doing it.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Wow. Panning and scanning it AND cutting 20 minutes out of it? What's the point? That explains why Ron Howard edited down Apollo 13.

Wouldn't it be better to just to create a two hour montage of special effects from all five Star Wars films? That's what everybody really wants to see, anyway.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
On second thought... you know, if they cut out all the worst dialog it can only be a positive thing. :D [And Brian ducks the oncoming arrows.]

Mike Capulli

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know anybody who would want to see this film in 4:3 with 20min cut from it. I think im just really sick of Lucas getting rich off of doing barely anything. I mean look at the re-release of the Star Wars films. He threw in some new scenery that horribly stood out from the rest of the film, not to mention that pathetic Jabba The Hutt scene...
Attack of the clones was a visual masterpiece with absolutely no respectful dialog, which in-turn.. made it boring.

I mean is Star Wars destined to become Lucas's life work? Can't this man move on?!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I mean is Star Wars destined to become Lucas's life work? Can't this man move on?!
Kind of seems like he is now all about digital technology, larger than life presentation, and money, doesn't it?
When AotC was going to be cut compositionally for IMAX, you guys said it was a good thing. Now that running time is cut, you are saying it is bad? If you support one, shouldn't you be consistent, and support the additional butchery.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Michael, does it really bother you that much? If you don't like it, move along and don't watch it. Has Lucas held a gun to your head and said watch and like my films? No, it's your choice. Maybe you need to move on if what someone else chooses to do with their life, bothers you so much.;)
By the way, welcome to the forum Michael.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Kind of seems like he is now all about digital technology, larger than life presentation, and money, doesn't it?
Oh, speaking of money, the new Forbes 400 list has just been released, and George was the second richest person in the entertainment industry, second only to David Geffen. His total worth is estimated at $3 billion, and he made $200 million in the past year alone.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Well from someone who tends to be not very objective regarding anything related to Star Wars...I have to admit this is disconcerting. And most here, or at least the members who are regulars on the AOTC thread, know I am a big fan of this film. This does make the argument that IMAX is a special type format etc...kind of weaker now. Will I go see it anyway. Probably. I have seen many films in IMAX and just like the presentation so I guess it's a mixed message by going. I don't think GL or Lucasfilm will really care either way. At the point when it reaches the IMAX screens Nov. 1 -nearly 6 months after it opened, anyone going to see it again are the people that really loved the movie and want to see it again regardless. So, there you have it. Call it what you like, or degrade those who will see it, or we can just agree that at the end of the day, does it really matter???:)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Richest entertainers that made Forbes Top 100 List
(only 5 were among the top 100)

David Geffen (#44 on Forbes List) $3.8 billion/ Entertainment
George Lucas (#55 on Forbes List) $3.0 billion/ Movies
A. Jerrold Perenchio (#76 on Forbes List) $2.3 billion/ Television
Steven Spielberg (#80 on Forbes List) $2.2 billion
Ted Turner (#80 on Forbes List) $2.2 billion/ Cable Television

Lord Lucas will likely add another $1 billion to his personal worth by the time the prequel trilogy is complete.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
She must have, or those millions of shares of AOL/Time Warner stocks are taking a severe beating. What would it feel like to lose 5 billion dollars? Ouch! I guess if you have 2+ billion after that, you're still feeling pretty good.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Wait. If the director supports the cuts and it's "his intent", then why not support this release?

Funny how that argument was used by apologists to rationalize the pan and scan hacking of AOTC for IMAX, but they retreat from it when it comes to 23 minutes of the movie being cut out.

Like I said in the first thread, Lucas' "intent" is not in the best interests of the fans, the format, or the integrity of his movies. He's just got a chip on his shoulder because Spider-Man outgrossed his movie.

Well, so much for THX meaning anything. It's the Bose of the new millenium.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
He's just got a chip on his shoulder because Spider-Man outgrossed his movie.
:rolleyes:Oh boy, I've heard it all now. Can you please tell me how releasing AOTC in IMAX has anything to do with Lucas having a chip on his shoulder because Spider-Man grossed more? Please explain to me the logic in that?
As for not caring about the interest of fans, they're getting what looks to be an awesome 2-disc DVD in anamorphic widescreen, and they're getting it mere months after the film left theaters. He must be terrible for doing that.
We've got apologists and extremists going round and round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks