What's new

SVU, where are seasons 2-4? (1 Viewer)

Joshua Lane

Second Unit
Season 1 came out, then they released Season 5 because it was "fresh in consumer's minds" having just finished. Universal is essentially doing two release patterns for Law & Order... one for the older seasons and one for the newest seasons. Eventually, they'll get caught up, but don't be surprised to see this sort of format for the next couple of years.

I'm curious about this also.. I haven't been able to find any info regarding any other L&O DVD sets and was wondering if anyone has any?

MichaelColvin

Stunt Coordinator
Update!

From TVShowsOnDVD.com

So very excited about this release. This show is so woonderful to watch, and S2 is where it really started to find its stride.

cheers, Michael

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
I'm glad that they've finally announced this title, though I wonder if it will be released by itself or with at least one other L&O show (hopefully Season 2 of CI, Season 1 of TBJ and Season 4 of L&O).

MichaelColvin

Stunt Coordinator

I absolutely agree with you. My best guess is that they'll do CI, since that's what they have done with all of the other releases. I would LOVE to see TBJ on DVD, if it could help save the show on USA or TNT, considering it didn't get a fair chance during first-air.

Hopefully we'll be hearing more release news soon.

cheers, Michael :)

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
According to TV Guide, TNT has passed on bringing TBJ to their network, but there is still a glimmer of hope that it will be brought back to NBC (or possibly USA) for another midseason debut.

If TBJ is released on DVD, it needs to be done soon, and a possible rush to buy the show from the fans of the show might convince NBC to bring it back.

MichaelColvin

Stunt Coordinator

Do you have a link for this? I'd love to see the article.

As far as TBJ, I think that if it is done in 16x9 and done well, it could easily help the show's future prospects.

cheers, Michael:)

Katherine_K

Second Unit
Do we know if universal has settled on the slim cases in a slipcase format for these releases across the board. The different packaging for every season is starting to get on my nerves. Of all the options I prefer the one they've used in L&O season 3, and hopefully SVU season 2 if tvshowsondvd.com are correct (and usually they are).

Does anyone have a sense of when Universal may be releasing L&O 15, SVU 6, CI 4, and TBJ Complete Series? I had assumed they were running on two release scheduals and those more recent seasons would show up in September.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
It appears that the recent season sets were a one-time shot to get the later seasons out, where different characters on the mothership and SVU may have confused (?) viewers watching these episodes for the first time. That's my guess, anyway.

It looks like, currently anyway, that L&O will release twice a year, and the other shows will release once (maybe twice) a year.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
And yes, it appears that Universal (for the moment) has settled on slim cases. Of course, last year was the year of innovative packaging, so who knows.

Katherine_K

Second Unit
Hmmm I hadn't read anything about them changing the duel stream of releases, can you point me to a source where I can?

The mother show I didn't much care about what order they came out in, but I started watching SVU fairly late so I'm actually one of those people who is more comfortable buying the later seasons than the early ones (though I am buying both). I'm a Diane Neal fan, so aside from the SVU cliffhanger at the end of season one/beginning of season two--yes I know what happens, but still want to watch it--I have more investment in getting SVU 6 than 2.

I haven't seen any TBJ. I do almost all my television watching on DVD these days because I have an odd work schedual that makes prime time viewing darn near impossible.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
It was never announced that the dual release schedules would be yearly. Part of the rationale, besides capitalizing on the upcoming seasons, was that Season 14 of L&O was the last season with Jerry Orbach. The uproar from fans about skipping seasons (not so much for SVU, more for CI where it skipped 1 year and L&O where it skipped so many years) probably was the final nail in the coffin for a dual schedule.

TBJ is my second favorite, just under a millimeter under SVU. Bebe Neuwirth, in particular, rocks my world. Personally, I think that Sam Waterston needs to retire soon because he is starting to look way too old for a realistic part on the show (unless it's as the DA) and Dick Wolf needs to transplant Neuwirth into the main show.

Katherine_K

Second Unit
I wasn't a big fan of Year 14 mainly because some of the characters seemed a little shallow. One problem is that I simply can't see Fred Thompson as anyone but Fred Thompson. I lived in Tennessee and have met the man in a political context. Everytime he walks on screen it takes me out of the world.

I find Elisabeth Rohm's character not particularly well developed, but given fan reaction to Bebe's character I rather doubt they'd replace either her or Sam Waterston's character with her.

I'm not disbelieving you on what you say, I'm just curious as to where you got your information. Universal has been rather inconsistent in the way they've handled TV-on-DVD so nothing would surprise me.

MichaelColvin

Stunt Coordinator

See I rather enjoyed Bebe's performance. I thought that she was FANTASTIC and did an excellent job at being passionate, strong and yet keeping it under the surface.

I would love to see TBJ out on DVD soon.

As far as the SVU release, I can only hope that they start doing them in 16x9!!!!!!!!!!!

MichaelColvin

Stunt Coordinator

See to me, this is quite simple: If you have it in 16x9, then release it in 16x9. If not, don't. Why add extra work to your release schedule by cropping your masters?

Especially since 16x9 is the way of the future.

Law & Order has always been at the forefront of the TV landscape, and I think that it should reflect that in the DVD releases. Anyone who's participating in this thread might want to add the "16x9" comment in the TVShowsOnDVD

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Katherine, I'm just making sure, but you are aware that Röhm left halfway through last year and was replaced by Annie Parisse, who is better than Röhm but is no Angie Harmon.

The hope for Neuwirth on L&O is just a fan's dream, though TBJ was the second Dick Wolf show with her as a main character (the first being Deadline).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks