What's new

SVS upgrade question (1 Viewer)

Dax M

Auditioning
Ok, here's the story. Right now I have (1) 25-31CS (ISD) and a Samson 700 amp. I'm trying to decide between selling my setup and getting a PB2-ISD or adding another 25-31. My HT room is about 4000 cu. ft. with an opening to other rooms. I spoke to Tom V. and he said that it's pretty much a toss up as to which route to go.

However, I have a question. How does the frequency response graph look between the PB2-ISD (all ports open) and the 25-31? Are they both tuned to 25Hz? I'm trying to find which route to go. I like the idea of an 'all-in-one' solution, but I want all the bass I can get for my $$ :).

Thanks!

Dax

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
The 25-31 and the PB2-ISD with all ports open should have very similar looking curves.

I graphed a sweep of a 25-31 PCi and my own PB2-Plus but they were in different rooms so a direct comparison is meaningless. Nevertheless, the PB2+ seemed to dig a little deeper than the 25-31PCi, but only by about 2 Hz.

Anyway, the big plus of the ISD is the variable tuning. If you want more extension, you can plug a port and dig down to probably about 17-18 Hz in that size room (even deeper in a smaller room). You can't tune the 25-31CS any deeper since it only has a single port.

If you went with duals, you could order your new 25-31 with a 22 Hz tuned vent, and then buy a 22 Hz vent for your existing 25-31, and play a little deeper than you are currently experiencing.

If you want "all the bass you can get for your money", definitely just buy another 25-31CS; you've already got the amp and the first sub.

Dax M

Auditioning
Thanks! That's pretty much what I figured, but I wanted to make sure. Now it's just time so see how much my 25-31 and amp will go for on the used market.

Dax

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Now it's just time so see how much my 25-31 and amp will go for on the used market.
??? Of course buy whatever your heart desires, but if you are just looking to get the most bass for the least $$, I'd just buy another 25-31 CS rather than sell the whole existing rig at a loss in order to buy a PB2-ISD.

Co-located 25-31 CS with the Samson S700 will be pretty be much equal to or better than a PB2-ISD in the output department, and it's only $380 for another 25-31CS; you've already got the spare amp channel, why not use it?

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
You've already got the spare amp channel, why not use it?
__________________________________________________ _________

Sounds like sound advise to me Dax. Your in a 4000 cu. ft. HT so space issues are most likely not a big concern? Two 25-31cs's will have close to the same footprint except for vertical and would be the least hassle. This low cost (part of your equation) solution sure would help you out in the bass dept. in that size room to be sure.

Dax M

Auditioning
Ok...After doing the math here, I can see what you guys mean. It's cheaper just to get another one. I guess I was being overly optimistic on how much I was going to have to chip in to get the PB2. Thanks alot for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks