What's new

SVS Question?? (1 Viewer)

Robert Cranwell

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone ever mix & matched SVS subs? I was wondering about using say a 25-31+ with a 17-46+ or would this not work? I was thinking about trying to balance out the whole sub frequencies this way or would it work better with 2/20-39+s and a 700 watt sampson and just make it work this way.

Thanks,Rob

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I wondered about something similar, like a CS-Ultra dedicated to the subout connection (LFE + "small" bass), and another sub (SVS 16-46+, ACI Titan II LE, etc.) connected off of the main's output crossed over to blend with the mains? In my situation, I am not looking for reference output, just some balance with the bass between movies and music.

Michael

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Generally we recommend folks pick the extension (tune/model) they want, then get the number of subs they need based on room size and listening tastes. It's far easier to calibrate two like subs and tends to allow them to "couple" and work together as one better too.
The one caveate is that for very small rooms mixing subs can work well. If you want to explore this I recommend you e-mail your room size/layout to [email protected] or fax a diagram to us at 330-793-8183.
I know on the surface a "mix and match" might seem logical, but the reality is that going with twin subs that match your tastes in extension (depth) is the way to go.
Mike's slightly different slant likewise would probably yield no real benefit. Better to get twin subs of the same sort (if you need that sort of SPL wallop!) and then simply route the bass of your various speakers as best suited them. The LFE and different channel bass feeds will work very well, especially if you can colocate the subs in a common corner.
The only way I'd consider doing this differently is if your processor had a fixed, way high crossover like 120Hz. Then maybe splicing in a PC with its built in crossover might work to make the bass harder to localize. If it was more typical 80Hz crossover then again, let the Dolby bass management do its job and just make sure your subwoofers are up to the task of handling the high levels of low bass. As you probably know, if you set your speakers to "small" (recommended for most limited range HT speakers) the demands on your subwoofer(s) go up substantially.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Ron,
I can understand the concept of routing all low bass to your subwoofer(s) as being more efficient(?). But in practice (with our system and our room), we much prefer to run our mains and sides (all are Canton Ergo 92 DC) a little larger than the typical small of 80-100 Hz, like 40-60 Hz. This would seem to ease the need for the added output through the subout connection.
The concern I have running my mains this low is that it seems you can get into phasing problems with your subwoofer(s) if not an equal distance from the listener. This would not bother me for movies, but with music, I am not so sure.
Also, it is my understanding that for maximum SPL for movies, a corner or near corner placement is usually best, whereas for music and extention, a side placement or one near the mains may work better. It would seem that having to choose one placement spot over the other would compromise either the music or the movies. OTOH, having two subwoofers placed at different spots in the room can lead to bass cancellation.
I apologize if this has been covered many times before, but our current subwoofer is up for sale, and I am trying to understand enough to make an informed decision.
Michael

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>I can understand the concept of routing all low bass to your subwoofer(s) as being more efficient(?). But in practice (with our system and our room), we much prefer to run our mains and sides (all are Canton Ergo 92 DC) a little larger than the typical small of 80-100 Hz, like 40-60 Hz. This would seem to ease the need for the added output through the subout connection. The concern I have running my mains this low is that it seems you can get into phasing problems with your subwoofer(s) if not an equal distance from the listener. This would not bother me for movies, but with music, I am not so sure.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Tom,

Thanks for the detailed information. It is possible that our experience with bass in our system and room, where the more bass in the mains the better, could be related to not having a sufficient subwoofer for our room or poor placement or both. Also, as far as some of the "opinions" I stated are concerned, it is just part of the confusion that comes from reading posts on the various audio/video forums from so-called "experts"! I have yet to draw any conclusions based on those readings.

So, if I understand you correctly, whatever placement works for movies will almost certainly work for music, is that correct? And one of the corners should be the first place I try? Is it preferable to use one of the front corners rather than the rear corners?

Michael

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Also, as far as some of the "opinions" I stated are concerned, it is just part of the confusion that comes from reading posts on the various audio/video forums from so-called "experts"! I have yet to draw any conclusions based on those readings.>So, if I understand you correctly, whatever placement works for movies will almost certainly work for music, is that correct?

Robert Cranwell

Stunt Coordinator
Tom, Considering the great deal on twin 20-39+s right now would this be the way to go? or should I just do that "you only live once theory" and go for the the Ultras. Also thanks for responding back on my e-mails with my CT-150 and MC-1 questions. My wife is pretty understanding and I think this the last upgrade except for maybe the MC-12:)
Thanks again,
Rob

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Tom, Considering the great deal on twin 20-39+s right now would this be the way to go? or should I just do that "you only live once theory" and go for the the Ultras.> Also thanks for responding back on my e-mails with my CT-150 and MC-1 questions. My wife is pretty understanding and I think this the last upgrade except for maybe the MC-12

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks