What's new

SVS pci owners please look here!!! (1 Viewer)

Binh Vu

Stunt Coordinator
Finally, 20-39 arrived this morning thanks to the SVS staffs :emoji_thumbsup:
I currently don't have SPL meter or AVIA dvd. I definately get both very soon though.
In SVS manual, I should set it to no higher than "-5 dB" and what should I set with the rest of my other speakers? I currently set all at SMALL and output level at max.
I have a small Receiver (yammy HTR-5450)
JBL n38ii as mains
small yammy center and surrounds
Please give me some aprox numbers (or which one should set higher, which one should lower...)
I'll do it tomorrow morning, very exciting!!!

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Set your speakers to "small". I'm not sure what you mean by "set speakers output level to max". If you're referring to each speaker's setting in the receiver, you should set them to "0 dB" (so you can adjust up or down as appropriate). Set phase to "0" for now. You will need a SPL meter and a test disc in order to determine the correct output level settings (that's one of the reasons to get them).

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Without a calibration disc and SPL meter you can't do much so you will have to guess.

I would suggest first set all your speakers to small, use the receiver test tones to try ballance your center and surrounds to your mains. If you can't, just set the center and surrounds to 0 for now. Set the sub output level on the receiver to -15. Turn up the SVS to the desired level while watching a movie but don't get used to it being too high because most likely you will set it much higher than propper calibration levels. Try to get it to sound ballanced with the mains while watching an action sceene.

Binh Vu

Stunt Coordinator
yeah, I'm talking about speakers setting in receiver.
I got it, thanks guys. HTF RULES

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Binh Vu, I'll pick up from Jeff's post.

Yamaha doesnt use a "Set to O" where its digital volume goes from -99 to 0. So the reference level is in between. I get 85dB "reference" output at -16.0 dB for example, but that's my system.

Try this using rcvr test tones, cause I know you cant wait until getting the Avia or Sound&Vision Home Theater Tune-Up disc and a RatShack meter! Read the test tone setup starting on manual page 19 (that I found online) for HTR5450.

Turn on the receiver, set Input Mode to DVD-Auto (it doesnt make any difference for now) and Speaker Output to Dolby ProLogic NORMAL. All spkrs SMALL. LFE/Bass Out to SWFR.

Set Yamaha Volume to -22.0dB. On my sound pressure level meter, this gives approximately the 75dB reference level. Now press Test Left if that’s what you have.

Now, your LEFT MAIN speaker is set to compare and balance all others to. The test tones only last 2 seconds so you will have to keeping playing the test sounds bouncing from speaker to speaker til you get them balanced.

Toggle the remote’s Level control to the Center and adjust plus or minus until the center sounds the same loudness as the Left Main. Do the same for the RIGHT MAIN and both Rears. You also may have a Balance control for the RIGHT MAIN to help match the sound.

Ok, now for the Sub. You should have a sub cable from Yamaha Sub Out to the SVS amp Left or Right input, makes no difference and dont need a Y cable here unless SVS provided one.

SVS probably is saying the sub can be adjusted to PLUS 5dB above the mains, but you cant do that until you get the calibration disc and the meter.

You have two controls to play with to balance the Sub: the Yamaha sub level (from the remote) that on mine goes from -20 to 0, and the SVS amp volume. You can start by setting the Sub amp at HALFWAY. SVS manual may suggest 3/4.

In the remote, set sub level to –15. Then see if you can find a bass tone to play in the receiver. Read the manual. It’s good to have the Yamaha sub level well under its 0 max so there’s adjustment room later during playback while you are seated. Once this is set, you can turn the sub amp volume control up or down to some sort of sub output matching.

Hopes some of this works until you get the meter.

bill

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
-16 is my reference too on my RXV620. I can't listen that loud though. It's painful and downright scary. So I use a false reference at -20 but still calibrate the sub to 75 at this level making it a little hot. My normal listening levels are anywhere between -40 and -30 because I live in an apt. and it gets too loud for the neighbors.

Binh Vu

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again guys, I appreciated your help. I've printed this page and get ready to rumble tomorrow morning.
I have a local friend (Terry on HTF) live just 10 minutes from my house :emoji_thumbsup: If I can get a hold of him, that'll be perfect as he has meter and avia too!!! If not, I'll have to wait another week for the meter and avia

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks