What's new

SVS PB10 vs smaller much more expensive subs (1 Viewer)

GregBe

Second Unit
I am in the process of updating my home theater, and I have a question about subs. I understand there is a direct correlation between sub size and performance. In order to get a smaller sub to perform well, it is going to cost a heck of a lot more than the same performance from a larger one. My question, is where are the lines drawn?

I currently own a Cambridge Soundworks P1000 sub. It lists for $1000, although I paid much less for it. It is about 14" cubed and is a great sealed tight bass sub that does pretty well for its size. I can adjust the cutoff for output vs. extension. It will play down to 22hz, but at a reduced level. To get any kind of substantial output, I have to have it roll off at 30hz. It will still play pretty solid down to 25hz at that setting.

I can go larger than I have right now, but the size of the SVS PB10 is about as large as I can go. The problem I have is size, not money. Although I can't go larger than the PB10, I can spend more. Are there better subs out there than the PB10 that are smaller, even at much higher prices? The HSU VTF-3 is probably going to be too deep for my room. Has anyone compared the PB10 to the Paradigm Seismic 12 or the Veodyne SPL1200 or Velo DD12?

Thanks
Greg

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Greg - we have thrown it around a few times, but never put it together. If you want to come by and listen to the PB-10 at my place, you can. I'm available for a quick demo tomorrow evening or midday to evening Sunday.

If you can get 80-90% of the performance of a $1K sub for ~$450, why spend $1K-2K? Maybe you could consider a cylinder SVS? You might do well with a 20-39PCi or PC+. I don't know how much the small Sunfires are, but they are definitely small for their output.

By the way, there's a local guy, Angelo, selling a PB-10 (if he has not sold it yet).

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Another option to consider is> if you can put the purchase off for awhile? SVS will be coming out with small sub/subs latter this year that I'm sure will be deserving of the SVS logo.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Don't forget that you can always put like a PB12+ standing up. Many have done this with the woofs facing outward. SVS was supposed to make a grill cover for this were you would take the floor spacer off and just mount a grill and stand it up like a speaker. Don't know where they are with this or maybe they have already done it. Again would be a bit taller but you would have double the woofs (2) instead of one.

ScottCarr

Second Unit
there is a post over at Hometheaterspot in the SvS area addressing the cambridge sound subs vs SvS PB10.

Having had the Klipsch RSW10, P1000 and 500 I can honestly say the PB10 blows them away. The expanded freq response of the PB10 truly takes the listening experience to a my higher level. The PB10 is nearly half the price of the P500 and you will get 3 times the performance (IMO)

Scott

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if this will help you, but Sound & Vision magazine has an extensive article this month (on newstands) about three tiny subs that, for their size, do amazing things. One each from Pinnacle, Sunfire and Velodyne.

They haven't posted the entire article yet online, but they have posted a .pdf file of the extended lab report.

They aren't cheap but small size/big sound never is. Maybe you could use two of them, since they can be hidden by just standing up a couple of dvd cases in front of them (they are that small!) so their WAF is very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks