What's new

SVS PB10 vs HSU VTF-2 (1 Viewer)

Michael-P

Auditioning
I was wondering if anyone has compared the SVS PB10 to the HSU VTF-2 or STF-2... I have a budget of $500 and am considering all of these subs. I don't really want to end up paying postage to send one back if I don't like it...
My room is about 13'x14' with a vaulted ceiling, completely open on one side. I listen equally to music and movies.
Reading reviews here has been very helpful except I havn't seen any direct comparisons. I currently own an old dbx 15" passive sub, it's got a huge cabinet and plays down to 27 hz. But at about 40 hz it's too boomy, and at over 14 years old it's time to upgrade. Thanks in advance for any advise you have to offer.

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
I hope this thread does not turn out like the other one that got deleted about a week ago. I own an STF-2 and really like it but all I will say is that in a room that size you really cannot go wrong with either one of these subs; either will do great in filling your room with bass. It will be a win/win situation with whichever one you chose!

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator
I chose the STF-2 with a set of Ascend's and it's highly recommended. As others have said above, there are some very strong feeling about some brands on this forum, so asking this type of question can be dangerous to your health and the threads life.

FWIW IMHO your not going to go wrong either way.

PC

Michael-P

Auditioning
Thanks for the information. I wasn't asking for a debate, I hope forums are not used in that way.
Opinions will be different from everyone, just as we all listen to different types of music.

If someone has a problem with a comment on a particular brand then they have personal issues they need to work on. I think we can all see through it if someone is going to trash a certain brand. No need to respond to them.

Thanks again everyone.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Mike,

Ed Mullen (now a writer for Secrets of HT and HiFi) did a very thorough and wholly unemotional review of our sub and separately of the STF-2 prior to that. It shouldn't be hard to find them posted here on HTF and elsewhere.

Drop me a line if you have any questions about the PB10-ISD we might help with directly.

Ron Stimpson
SVS Co-Founder
[email protected]

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Enjoy the sub you decide on would be my first recommendation and then ask yourself the same question after reading Eds review.

I recommended the PB10-ISD to myself and have no regrets.

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator
Good evening Michael,

We strive to provide more bass for less floor space, and to maximize sound quality and output per given box size.

What makes the VTF series unique is the ability to choose your tradeoff for either maximum output or maximum low frequency extension. The VTF series also comes with a bypassable 24db/oct 30-90Hz crossover, and blond maple finish at no extra cost.

You should also not hesitate to explore other brands, both at brick and mortar stores and internet outlets. Sometimes you can get a very good deal on closeout models or on b-stock items.

Best of luck to you!

Anthony Cler

Stunt Coordinator
I've owned products from both companies and they both make excellent subwoofers. I used to own a 16-46PC+ (being replaced by a PB2+) that I used in a dedicated room and I currently have a VTF-2 MkI that I use in a smaller viewing room.

The VTF-2 in a small room produces incredible bass that is deep (deep enough) and powerfull.

If you're talking about a B-Stock VTF-2, then there's no question it would be the better value. But if you're comparing new prices, I would probably lean towards the PB10-ISD.

I purchased my b-stock VTF-2 mkI direct from HSU and couldn't be happier. The price is unbeatable! You could buy 2 or 3 of them compared to list pricing.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
What is the dimensions of the open area? You have to include all open areas when trying to determine if a sub is correct for your room.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Michael-P

Auditioning
Thanks everyone for your input. I've decided to try the SVS although I may try to check with them for a B stock unit to offset the shipping costs. I called HSU and they are local to me and won't charge shipping for local pick-up... I will call them to see how B stock is handled...
Your input was a great help.

Michael

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Michael,

We get a smattering of b-stocks now and again.

Give our sales line a shout and they can get you the latest on what the factory has just refurbed.

Ron

erikk

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Mike;

We have a b-stock PB10-ISD now, bounce me a call at the sales line tomorrow (703-845-1472) and we'll see if we can't send it out immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.