What's new

PB10 vs... HSU? (1 Viewer)

Todd Christ

Stunt Coordinator
I've notice that here on HTF most folks tend to run with the SVS subs and if you visit AVSForum they tend to push the HSU Research subs...

I've heard the HSU VTF-2 - AMAZING sub for $499 - but now i see this SVS PB10 and i'm wondering if it's a better deal?

i'm not huge on comparing specs for these subs - but i took most everyone's suggestion on the Sony SA-WM40 and love IT - now it's time for more Oooomph! ;)

thanks for your feedback - i hope you can vicariously live through my spending based on your recommendations :D

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:
__________________________________________________ ________

I've notice that here on HTF most folks tend to run with the SVS subs and if you visit avs forum they tend to push the HSU Research subs...

I've heard the HSU VTF-2 - AMAZING sub for $499 - but now i see this SVS PB10 and i'm wondering if it's a better deal?

i'm not huge on comparing specs for these subs - but i took most everyone's suggestion on the Sony SA-WM40 and love IT - now it's time for more Oooomph!

thanks for your feedback - i hope you can vicariously live through my spending based on your recommendations

Todd,

First, I would suggest you read Ed J M's thread regarding the tests he ran on the HSU VTF-2 and which he posted in this Forum, and see the comparative technical as well as subjective results that ensued; far, far superior than what you are apt to ever find at AVS.

Second, what are your ultimate goals, what is the size of your room and its acoustical characteristics and, of greatest importance, what is your budget and how much are you willing to spend on a true subwoofer system (which the HSU is one, by the way), as well as whether you wish to solely rely on self powered subs or want the versatility afforded by "passive" subbass units.

Anyhow, am of the humble opinion that the SVS PB10 would prove to be an excellent choice since I believe it's definitely more than capable of surpassing the Sony SA-MW40 sub in terms of providing lower frequency response and greater dynamics performance.

My 0.02 cents... :)

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
The performance gain presented in the SVS or HSU will far exceed the WM-40 Todd. Either choice will give you a leap forward in your bass needs and add a whole new dimension to your listening experience.

Very soon Edward JM will also be posting his review of the PB10-ISD. From the few morsels he has given us so far, it sounds like it will be setting a new standard in the $400 sub category. One exciting sub to be sure. So since you asked, imo I would go with the PB10-ISD. The SPL response it will provide in the lower frequencies will be very noticeable over your prior sub and the quality of the bass will be in a whole new league. Night and day as they say.

>>>i hope you can vicariously live through my spending based on your recommendations

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Hi Todd:

I reviewed the STF-2 (which is essentially a VTF-2 fixed in the Maximum Extension tune). It's a fine subwoofer; it's very accurate (flat FR), it sounds very good, and it has good extension to 23-25 Hz in-room. It's quite small and light, if those are considerations for you. Read more about the STF-2 in my review hotlinked below in my signature block.

The PB10-ISD is a somewhat larger and heavier (40 pounds vs. 60) than the STF-2. Its enclosure is shaped like a 2/3 scale PB2, and has considerably more internal volume than the STF-2. It has a lower tune point, and a much more capable woofer in terms of excursion, air moving capability, and distortion limited output, and much deeper extension. It gets to about 15-16 Hz in-room and can actually do justice to 32 foot pipe organ music. And it gives up nothing to the STF-2 in terms of accuracy; its FR is amazingly flat right across the entire bandwidth. Its bandwidth linearity (how much clean output it has across the entire operating bandwidth) is nothing short of remarkable.

This takes nothing away from the STF-2; as I said above it's an excellent sub. But the PB10-ISD simply sets a new standard in this class and it sounds GREAT to boot. Frankly, I don't understand how SVS can sell this thing for $400 - the woofer alone looks like it's worth at least $250. Don't take my word for it; buy whatever competitive models you want in this price class and compare them to the PB10-ISD and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Ed

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
AH!! A little more from Ed on the PB10-ISD;) Maybe we can get it all out of you by the time you actually post your review:D

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
I upgraded from a Sony SA-WM40 to an HSU STF-2 and there is no comparison, give yourself a little bit of time to adjust to non-boomy bass though. But the STF-2 is just so much better, the depth of bass it gives over the Sony is amazing and the HSU is just so much tighter and more accurate, it just sounds much better. I am sure that either sub is going to be so much better than the Sony that you will be pleased either way. I am not going to say if which one you should go with, but I have to admit that the PB10 is looking to be a killer sub for $400.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

AH!! A little more from Ed on the PB10-ISD Maybe we can get it all out of you by the time you actually post your review

One look at that graph of the PB10-ISD' frequency response posted in SVS' site tell one hell of a story...so I wouldn't be surprised in the least if their 'lil 10-incher sets the loudspeaker world on fire as there is no doubt in my mind that it'll prove to be a new benchmark in **small** subwoofer design!... :emoji_thumbsup:

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Damn, makes me want one of those PB10's now too
__________________________________________________ _____

Thats why I ordered both Scott but guess what! Your 2-U is on the way:D Maybe if I placed my order a week latter it would have been a help;)

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
I bet yours will be out Monday, I guess they pulled an all nighter to get the ones out they did. I need to get me one of those PB10's!!

Todd Christ

Stunt Coordinator
thanks guys!

the room i have right now is large 16x24 and 18ft vaulted ceilings - hardly an easy fill for most subs considering it's pretty much 'open' to the rest of the house - with open walls on the first floor - i'd assume it's over 3000+ cu/ft of space...

so until i get another house ;) i'm just looking to fill the house with more 'oomph!' - the Sony does pretty decently for only paying $129 (including tax and shipping!) - so i can't complain! :)

can't wait to see Ed's review - i'm really excited about this one! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks