What's new

SVS passive using an older integrated amp (1 Viewer)

Jeff Massey

Agent
Hello everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone out there was using the passive svs sub with older integrated amps. I have an old Kenwood ka-880d that is a very clean amp, but that I have not used in a while (7 years). I have read on the SVS website that this maybe a way to try the sub and utilize the equipment I have (atleast to the point I can upgrade the amp). Any input would be welcome. I have never owned a sub and run vandy 1b (never thought I needed one) for front. We are starting to use the HT more then music now and wife wants more boom.
Thanks
Jeff :)

Rich G

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jeff, I suppose the two questions are what is the power rating of the integrated and what volumes do you listen at. Oh yea, how big is your room?

Brian AM

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, A wife the wants more boom??? Wish I could find one of those. ;)
Anyways, I am running a SVS 25-31CS with an older Technics AX810 5 channel receiver. I'm not sure of the power rating...but I believe it was something like 85 watts per channel...taken with a grain of salt of course because after all it is a technics, and it cost about $275 brand new. The sub sounds fantastic using the receiver as power! I can only imagine what it would sound like with a real mono-block. I would advise you not to shy away from a SVS sub because you don't have an expensive mono bass amp to power it.

Jeff Massey

Agent
Here is what the spec say,

100 watts rms at 8 ohms from 20 Hz to 20 kHz at .008% THD

Max continuous power output (DIN) 1kHz at 4 ohms 145 W

Max continuous power output (DIN) 1kHz at 8 ohms 120 W

Max continuous power output (IEC/NIF) from 63 Hz to 12,500Hz 0.7%

THD at 8 ohms 120 W + 120 W

Dynaminic Power 165 W per channel at 8 ohms

235 W per channel at 4 ohms

265 W per channel at 2 ohms

I just trying to see if its even worth trying a passive and then upgrading to a new amp.

Thanks for your help

Jeff Massey

Agent
Hello Brian,

How do you like the SVS 25-31CS. I'm a bit concerned about the size of the 16-46CS. I have listened to some paradigm subs and can get a fair price on the PW2200 ( i'm only 20 minutes away from boarder). They sound really good. I have read some great reviews about the svs and may want to give them a listen.

Thanks

JEff

Rich G

Stunt Coordinator
I think you are all set. You can always look for a stronger amp at a later date, but your integrated will do the job in the mean time.

Vin

Supporting Actor
Anyways, I am running a SVS 25-31CS with an older Technics AX810 5 channel receiver. I'm not sure of the power rating...but I believe it was something like 85 watts per channel...taken with a grain of salt of course because after all it is a technics, and it cost about $275 brand new. The sub sounds fantastic using the receiver as power!
That's great news Brian! I have an old Technics DPL receiver rated at 110 watts/channel. I've been contemplating an SVS for a while now and keep going back and forth as to whether or not I should try a CS (or possibly a CS+) with my old Technics. (I have spoken to TV about this). You've really given me some food for thought.

One thing about the Technics though is that it was always a hot running receiver. Do you find this to be the case with yours and have you experienced any clipping, powering the SVS with it? How close to reference do you typically run your sytem?

Thanks,

Vin

Brian AM

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff-
I am extremely satisfied with the 25-31cs. I am operating in a room that is about 22x15 with 12 foot ceilings. I think the smallest "baby" in the group is such a step-up from other subs that I can't really imagine what a 16-46 must sound like. As far as the size goes, I don't find it particularly obtrusive. It is tall, but it has a small footprint. I have it located in a corner along the same wall as the TV. I'm not sure anyone that comes over really knows what it is. It kinda looks like a bongo or something just hanging out in the corner. Also with bass being omni-directional, it doesn't call attention to itself if you know what I mean.
Vin-
I have had no problems with the heat aspect, I guess because it is only running one channel. I have the volume set to about 3 o'clock and the bass knob turned to about 10-11 o'clock. The receiver has never clipped but the sub has bottomed out a few time while watching Jurrasic Park III. I was horrified the first time it happened, if you've never heard it before it is aweful!! :frowning: I still need to mess with the volume setting of the technics & the bass knob to try to find the right setting.
I typically watch movies at about the -20dB setting on my receiver. Which I would guess would lend approximately 85-90 dBs on the meter.
Like I said above to both of you, a crummy receiver will power the sub just fine. You can upgrade to a mono amp as your budget allows. You never realize what you've been missing in the bass department until you get one of these subs.
Also, I have a pair of Axiom 80ti Se's up front. When I play music, I prefer to run the sub along with them. The sub is that good.
Brian

Terry Flink

Stunt Coordinator
I have an Adcom GFA555II that I used back in my two channel audio days. I replaced it with an Outlaw 750 5ch amp and actually tried to sell the Adcom. My old Def Tech sub took a dump on me last year and I discovered SVS. I now power the 20-39CS with one channel form the Adcom and look forward to adding a second SVS since I got the channel to spare. The setup works great.

Vin

Supporting Actor
Brian, thanks for the reply. I currently have a Velodyne CT-120 which doesn't bottom out due to the limiting circuitry that it uses. Of course, the down side to this is all the bass that I'm missing due to this filtering system. I did have the unpleasant experience of what it sounds like for a sub to bottom out though (the first sub I ever owned was a small Yamaha)......that is one sickening sound! :eek:
I'm pretty much leaning towards a 20-39+. I may give it a shot with my Technics and see how it goes. If it doesn't work out I can always add a Samson or another quality amp to power it with.
Thanks again,
Vin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks