What's new

SVS 25-31CS vs DIY Dayton DVC (1 Viewer)

Mike22

Auditioning
I've recently retired an Advent av550 subwoofer due to WAF factors and the fact that I really tired of the slow boomy sound. It sounded good at times but others it intruded on the enjoyment of the movie. I kept the carver 250 watt amp that came with it, so I'm assuming the amp will be sufficient to drive either sub. My new location will be in the rear corner behind a sectional so WAF will not be a problem, plus this corner is where I had the best bass response in the room. My question is, will a properly built Dayton DVC sound similar to the SVS 25-31cs? I have the money for both, but is the $420 shipped SVS that much better than the $175 DIY Dayton DVC. If any one has had a chance to compare or any input, I would appreciate it.

Thanks so much,

Mike

Mike22

Auditioning
Well since nobody seems to have a comparison. I think based on what I've read I will attempt the DIY sub and see if I like the results. Worst case If I'm not satisfied, I've got enough money left over to build another. So, hopefully 2 dayton 12 DVC's would be better than one SVS.

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
Mike,
The Dayton DIY should compare very well with the SVS, and two of them will certainly get you more volume (with less distortion.) I personally think that you will love the DIY route, and can always upgrade in the future.
JP

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
I just happen to have a 25-31PC (original) and a 12" DVC in a sonosub powered by the 300-794 plate amp. For the DVC I went 102L tuned to 21-22Hz with a full-length aeroport (4 in diameter, 18 in length). A friend and I built a pair of these but he went 112L tuned to 21Hz with the full-lenth aeroport.

I've been very happy with the SVS. I have yet to bottom it. The high-tuning, custom built-in rumble filter, and correct amplifier power makes it virtually impossible to bottom without actually trying to do something stupid. Very loud, very deep, very clean. No question, its a good product.

The DVC sub sounds very similar. I did manage to bottom it one day when watching Star Wars Ep. 2 but I realized later that my calibration was all messed up by the fact that the sub was wired out-of-phase from my mains. So I had it turned up higher than I should have. Since I fixed that, no bottoming. Very loud, very deep, very clean.

It takes some time and the results will depend a bit on your construction. But its definitely worth it. The price is lower and the satisfaction is greater. Don't sweat the minor details - I've compared my friend's DVC, my DVC and my SVS and they're so similar I'd be stumped in a double-blind comparison. I do recommend some sort of a rumble filter or tune em low to protect the driver.

You have chosen ... wisely.

Mike22

Auditioning
Jim and Ryan,

Thanks so much for your posts. I am ready to get this project underway. I build quite a few decent car subs back when I was younger so this is no big deal to me. Ryan, I'm glad that your dvc is comparable to the SVS. The way people talk about their SVS's makes me feel as though I will be more than happy. Now my thoughts are why not build an enclosure with 2 12in DVC's or one 15 dvc or even a tempest. I'll have to see what the wife would think about a larger enclosure. Maybe I'll tell her she can put more pictures of the kids on it. She won't know better until its too late.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks